Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

6 month rule-confusion

Options
  • 27-10-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

:confused:

Hey im really confused. I have my prov about a month and have applied for my test on 30th sept in Navan.. obviously i wont get a test by 1st dec does this mean i cant do my test untill i have 6 months on my prov? I called rsa up and they didnt sound too sure but ended up saying that if i dont have it done by 1st then i cant do it for 6 months.. that would mean when i do get a test ill have to cancel.. its all very confusing..

also anyone applied recently for navan and got a test? im thinking of getting an employers letter to speed it up. i hear the temp test route is really easy (its been moved due to roadworks..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

if you have a provisional licence.. you can do you test anytime

if you have a Learners permit (availible from tue onwards), you wil have to wait 6 months from daye of issue, until you can do a test .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eoghanf

Hey. My scenario and quick Question:

I have applied for my test but i have to renew my prov licence next week - Going on to third...
    Does this mean I will be issued with a learners permit and have to wait 6 months? If so, and i get a notice before six months i will have to cancel and get my fee refunded...??

Thanks for any info guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Now that things have been put 'on hold' till June does this apply to the learners permit too? What if your provisional licence ran out before then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

god's toy wrote: »
    Now that things have been put 'on hold' till June does this apply to the learners permit too? What if your provisional licence ran out before then?

"Things" have not been put on hold. The only ones affected will be 2nd prov holders who now have an extension to sort their act out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

eoghanf wrote: »
    I have applied for my test but i have to renew my prov licence next week - Going on to third...
    Does this mean I will be issued with a learners permit and have to wait 6 months? If so, and i get a notice before six months i will have to cancel and get my fee refunded...??

From RSA website (Word document):
    No, as you already held a provisional licence you are not considered to be a first time learner permit holder and the six month rule will not apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

god's toy wrote: »

Information on the RSA website...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

nipplenuts wrote: »
    "Things" have not been put on hold. The only ones affected will be 2nd prov holders who now have an extension to sort their act out.
    Yes I understand that but my question is IF your provisional license ran out before you got to take your test, would you receive a Learners permit or a provisional license? If Learners permit then you will have to wait 6 months...

EDIT:
    Thanks to poster before this one for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What about this...?

Please note that with effect from 1 December, 2007, all persons undertaking a driving test must have held a provisional driving licence/learner permit for a minimum period of 6 months on the day of the driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Seems pretty self-explanatory...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

pa990 wrote: »
    if you have a Learners permit (availible from tue onwards), you wil have to wait 6 months from daye of issue, until you can do a test .

Does this mean you can't apply for a test until 6 months from the date of issue, or you can't sit a test until 6 months after.

Seeing as some districts have a waiting list of more than 6 months it may be advisable to apply once you get the permit, in the expectation that by the time your test comes around 6 months will have passed. Might be a gamble, but probably not!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Here's one i'm not too sure about... If i have an A licence and want to get my Car licence in February...at that point i will have been driving the bike for six months... Will this count as my six months experience or is it for each indivual catagory...
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Here's one i'm not too sure about... If i have an A licence and want to get my Car licence in February...at that point i will have been driving the bike for six months... Will this count as my six months experience or is it for each indivual catagory...
    Thanks

All Categories are considered separate. You will also need to do a new theory test for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

this whole thing is now a mess, nobody knows if it is 6months until you can take your test or 6months until you can apply!!

That includes the rsa, the stategy says you will not be able to apply but the faq's say you have to wait 6months to take it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

just spoke to RSA. Apparently you cant apply for 6 months.
    Only applies to new permit holders, not existing provisional holders apparently.

One area its not fair to is nonEU experienced drivers eg US, New Zealand etc who are treated like beginners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

wil wrote: »
    just spoke to RSA. Apparently you cant apply for 6 months.
    Only applies to new permit holders, not existing provisional holders apparently.

I got my first provisional last week, does this apply to me or does it only apply to people with the new learner permits?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LuckyStar wrote: »
    does this apply to me?
    No

Advertisement