Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI negotiating friendlies with Brazil and Argentina

• 27-10-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Delaney said on radio this morning that they were in talks with Brazil and Argentina yesterday for friendlies in Croker. The papers had it as Brazil and Italy for March and April but I'd love to see Argentina. They're the one top team that we haven't played in the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I was at the last Argentina match, thing is, given the "celebrity" of these matches, is it really the preparation needed for a world cup qualifying campaign?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

the FAI prob see these as games guaranteed to get full houses in Croker. Something that we might struggle to get otherwise, considering the current state of the national team. these are showpiece games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed, it'll need something big in order to get people to watch the games. Personally I'd like those friendlies then two friendlies against Cyprus and San Marino. If we could win those two, I'd be much happier than if we got anything against Brazil or Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I would like to see Argentina playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I presume there is a massive made to be made from hosting these matches and that money is likely needed for the new stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I presume there is a massive made to be made from hosting these matches and that money is likely needed for the new stadium.

...and a new manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Will people really be interested in going to see the Irish boys getting slaughtered? I know it'd be nice to see Argentina and Brazil play, but I would think a few gimmies (or at least winnable matches) would do more for the morale among the players, and the supporters, than this... even if they are only friendlies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

let's not kid ourselves, when the Brazilian's come to town to play a friendly, it's the same as when the Harlem Globetrotters play, both sides are let show a bit of skill and the result is usually a draw so both sides feel good about themselves.

The argies might be a little more up for it, but a friendly against, for example, Scotland, or Bulgaria, would be a much better test, possibly an up and coming African team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

It's another promise on which the FAI can sell their 10 year tickets. That and the fact that it'll most likely be a sellout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't agree. While they might not give 100% Brazil still do put in the effort in friendlies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just go Ireland V England and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Will people really be interested in going to see the Irish boys getting slaughtered? I know it'd be nice to see Argentina and Brazil play, but I would think a few gimmies (or at least winnable matches) would do more for the morale among the players, and the supporters, than this... even if they are only friendlies...

Thing is, when world beaters like them are on friendly tours they often put in half arsed performances, its not a real test of either teams skills. Ill probably watch on tv but im not arsed paying 70 euro to see Messi in the flesh, especially seeing as I could probably see a competitive match for less money abroad featuring a Messi who actually cares about winning.

God though its been 12 years, why cant we get a game V England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

shane86 wrote: »
    God though its been 12 years, why cant we get a game V England?

1. The Irish authorities don't have the experience or ability to keep the majority of hooligans from making the journey.

2. The GAA wouldn't allow this to take place in Croke Park after what happened in Landsdowne the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Pure money making racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

An Citeog wrote: »
    1. The Irish authorities don't have the experience or ability to keep the majority of hooligans from making the journey.

Probably not, but twelve years later, things are different.

2. The GAA wouldn't allow this to take place in Croke Park after what happened in Landsdowne the last time.

None of their business. What gives the GAA the right to stick their oars in?

They have a strange concept of rental in the Klu Klux Gah

In fairness most anti hooligan measures are the job of the UK police, they have done a good job of preventing alot of them leaving the country in recent years. There is still always a bit of trouble at tournaments, but i cant recall a qualifier this season that had crowd trouble. And Ireland V England is a one sided rivalry, the English put it fairly far behind Germany, Scotland, Argentina etc etc, they generally support us as their 2nd team at any tournament.

So come on, why no matches?:(

shane86 wrote: »
    In fairness most anti hooligan measures are the job of the UK police, they have done a good job of preventing alot of them leaving the country in recent years. There is still always a bit of trouble at tournaments, but i cant recall a qualifier this season that had crowd trouble. And Ireland V England is a one sided rivalry, the English put it fairly far behind Germany, Scotland, Argentina etc etc, they generally support us as their 2nd team at any tournament.

So come on, why no matches?:(

Because there are discussions for a 'home internationals' competition next summer for the FAI, IFA, SFA, WFA and in particular the EFA to recoup some of the lost revenue because all the teams failed to qualify.

Why pay them to come over in a friendly if we will be playing them anyway?

Pure money making racket.

If by money making racket you mean way of raising funds for football infrastructure and coaching, then yes, very observant :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Because there are discussions for a 'home internationals' competition next summer for the FAI, IFA, SFA, WFA and in particular the EFA to recoup some of the lost revenue because all the teams failed to qualify.

Why pay them to come over in a friendly if we will be playing them anyway?

English FA has no interest in the celtic cup.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2109410,00.html

June 23rd, so lets see how long it takes them to change their mind about 3 weeks i reckon :cool:

kdjac

Matches Set

The FAI will offer their new manager a triple-header Croke Park test against Brazil, Argentina and Italy next year.

John Delaney confirmed that he has concluded negotiations with the South American giants for Dublin visits.

Brazil are first up at Croke Park in February with world champions Italy set to follow in March and Argentina due in town next autumn.

“I have been negotiating with Brazil and Argentina to come to Croke Park and those games will happen,” said Delaney.

http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irish-voice/sport/RaceIsontoSucceedStaunton031107.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We should just host a Brazil - Argentina game. That'd be good to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

lets just have the brazzers and argies,full house and no-one walking out 3/4 time!
    i think this is get the feel-good factor back into the FAI and the Irish team,good PR but will it work?
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's good work by Delaney and whathave, should raise the funds for a new manager, but the real question is gona be how much those tickets cost. I'm gona wager we might see an increase from the 50/70 prices currently set out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Still no away friendlies?

Numpties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

PHB wrote: »
    It's good work by Delaney and whathave, should raise the funds for a new manager, but the real question is gona be how much those tickets cost. I'm gona wager we might see an increase from the 50/70 prices currently set out.

I'd guess that one would have to buy them in a set of 3, and it'll be range from €200 to €240 for the 3. Then again, I did just pick that numbers outta my head, so I'll probably be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Well if the last match against brazil is anything to go by then it'll be a waste of time. I was at that game in lansdowne and the brazilians were barely moving.

Well if the last match against brazil is anything to go by then it'll be a waste of time. I was at that game in lansdowne and the brazilians were barely moving.
    Definitely can't agree with that. Tbh I can't remember the match at this stage but I remember having this argument at the time. I remember Carlos going mad at himself for mis timing a high ball and I remember 2 Brazilians having a row at the back (I think Dida roaring at one of the defenders). It certainly didn't seem like a training game to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

tdv wrote: »
    I would like to see Argentina playing.

Me too, at least you'd get to see one good team playing but it is only make money. Argies get €1/2m and FAI get more.

Still no more word on the tournament between ourselves, the nordies, Welsh and Scots*? :(

*: ah sure we will let the English join the party if they want to, doesnt look like theyre doing much next summer....

• Advertisement
Advertisement