Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is this a good method?

Options
  • 27-10-2007 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I just got my first provisional. The original plan was to buy a car, but now the law has changed for those on 2nd provisionals I am afraid it will be enforced and if I was to have an accident I would not be insured.

I have no experience of driving. I was thinking about applying for my test now (before 1st Dec so I get around the 6 month rule...i think) and wait til I get my date. When I get my date for the test I will get 15 or 20 lessons and hope for the best. Is this a decent strategy? I have a feeling its too good to be true...

Or should I just go with the plan I had before the new laws came in- get a car, fork out for insurance and hope I don't get caught or have an accident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no, it's not i'm afraid.

when you get notice of your test, you get 2 weeks notice max.

now you cannot be brought up to test standard in 2 weeks, in my opinion. it takes time in fact the 6 month rule is probably about right. now a lot of people will say it will depend on how quickly you can learn/how good a driver are you, you may pass your test, but i wouldn't count on it.

could you not get insurance on relatives car, who is a full licenced driver and learn stedily so that when you come up to your test you're not relying on 15-20 lessons and the luck of the day type thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Lessons are good but IMO people also need some decent experience on the road. This way you can react to any situation put to you.

Better way, Apply for test, get insured on someone elses car (parents), get lessons, and also take the car out on the road with a experienced full driver with two years. No point in getting caught and then you are fined.

Seems like hard way but this is what will make the younger drivers better (hopefully) and it stops drivers doing like your plan was and to just get in a car straight away on their 1st provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Only my dad has a full licence and he won't let me drive the car. My mother has a provisional and he grabs the wheel while she is driving it even though she is doing nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

Cremo wrote: »

now you cannot be brought up to test standard in 2 weeks, in my opinion. it takes time in fact the 6 month rule is probably about right.

im just saying i was driving less than 3months and i passed my test with ease, people will be able to tell you if your any good, preferrably a qualified instructor. I only needed 3 lessons.

3 months > 2 weeks tbh.

it would be hard to get a lesson a day with the same instructor in that time frame that is there from the day you get your notice to the day the test is on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

i know that 3months is >2weeks

but if i had two weeks it would be enough. And i think the OP stating 15-20 lessons, is far too many.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why not:
    Take some lessons, apply for the test, keep taking lessons and then pass the test?
    Sounds like a flawless plan to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gibber

One possibility is to do a week long driving course. I'm taking one soon enough having only recently gotten my theory test, first provisional and applied for a driving test.

A potential issue is you mightn't be able to get on a week long driving course at short notice.

Gibber wrote: »
    One possibility is to do a week long driving course. I'm taking one soon enough having only recently gotten my theory test, first provisional and applied for a driving test.

A potential issue is you mightn't be able to get on a week long driving course at short notice.

where abouts is it on? is it one of the ones in England?

Actually can you go up the North for lessons/test and then use the licence here?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Only my dad has a full licence and he won't let me drive the car. My mother has a provisional and he grabs the wheel while she is driving it even though she is doing nothing wrong.
    Then stay away from your dad when you are learning to drive! You'd probably worked that one out for yourself.... What about an uncle or aunt? Seriously, my wife taught me to drive and it almost ended in divorce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

no, it's not i'm afraid.

I got roughly 6 weeks notice of my test (Ballymun Northpoint centre) and sister got 4 weeks (Raheny centre) pull that statistic out of your arse did ya?

delos wrote: »
    Then stay away from your dad when you are learning to drive! You'd probably worked that one out for yourself.... What about an uncle or aunt? Seriously, my wife taught me to drive and it almost ended in divorce

My dad said he tried to teach my mother back in the day and they nearly killed each other, she had to get lessons. He says it is a bad idea for anyone you know to teach you. My boyfriend offered to show me a couple of things and my dad said we'd have rows if we did.

I think I'll wait to see if the new law is enforced and if not, go with my original plan of getting lessons til the instructor says I'm able for the test and then get a car and keep practising.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pull that statistic out of your arse did ya?
    Steady on Dr - no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just to correct that, with SGS you get 6 weeks+.

I got 6 and a half weeks notice in march of my test this year and as far as a I know this is standard practice

Maybe with the Dept. Of Transport its shorter?
    If you ask for a cancellation though you can get very short notice, a matter of days

LuckyStar wrote: »
    where abouts is it on? is it one of the ones in England?

Actually can you go up the North for lessons/test and then use the licence here?

It on in westport. I came across them in the paper a few weeks ago. If it's acceptable I can post the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gibber wrote: »
    It on in westport. I came across them in the paper a few weeks ago. If it's acceptable I can post the link?
    Yes, no problem.

Yes, no problem.

Cheers - the driving school is College Drive. I don't know anyone who has been on it yet.

Maybe with the Dept. Of Transport its shorter?
    If you ask for a cancellation though you can get very short notice, a matter of days
    there was no such thing as the SGS when i did my test, i was given two weeks notice for both my tests - i failed one - one was a cancelation date too.

Advertisement