Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed/Single speed advice

Options
  • 27-10-2007 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Very tempted lately to but a single speed/fixed bike.. what are my options to buy new? I'm really looking for something cheap (€500 or less) so that rules out the Langster and Paddy Wagon. It leaves the Giant bowery and some of the fuji ones.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that stocks Fuji and what price do they work out out, seem to be about £300 on ebay. Can anyone recommend any other makes and where I might buy them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Cycleways sell fujis, might be worth giving them a call, expensive i'd say...
    The cheapest option would be to convert your current bike, assuming you had one, in theory all you need is a rear wheel correctly spaced and dished...but then there can be problems with chain tension...
    So you say you want a singlespeed/fixed wheel bike like the langster..would you consider an actual track bike like a terry dolan? Occasionally a bargain turns up on eBay, or you could build one up from parts off eBay? I bought my frame off a friend and gradually built it up..it was cheap to do and I could gradually upgrade as I got money....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

mloc123 wrote: »
    Very tempted lately to but a single speed/fixed bike.. what are my options to buy new? I'm really looking for something cheap (€500 or less) so that rules out the Langster and Paddy Wagon. It leaves the Giant bowery and some of the fuji ones.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that stocks Fuji and what price do they work out out, seem to be about £300 on ebay. Can anyone recommend any other makes and where I might buy them?

Langster is €570 - might be worth stretching to...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Current bike isn't suitable to convert and I would like to keep it for weekend cycles etc..

I'm swaying towards the Giant Bowery at the moment, seems to be available for about €490. I have read mixed reviews on it tho, main criticism being its quite heavy for a s/s. Gonna go have a look tomorrow if its in stock in cycle superstore. The Langster is €600 in Cycleways, I'm not sure its worth the extra €110?

Anyone have any experience with the Bowery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

dont get why people would bother with a single speed if they were interested in moving into a different area of cycling.

just jump in at the deep end with the fixed gear. it takes time, but you'll love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I've a 07 langster and its a great bike my only gripe with it is the frame is a little fat (not heavy just fat) but thats forgivable cause its such fun to ride, but if i was to choose again id probably have bought a Kona paddywagon or a bianchi pista something with a much thinner frame like a road bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

flickerx wrote: »
    dont get why people would bother with a single speed if they were interested in moving into a different area of cycling.

just jump in at the deep end with the fixed gear. it takes time, but you'll love it

it doesnt even take a whole lot of time it took me about 40km to get fully used to a fixed gear and i was braking with my legs although its weird getting back on a normal bike afterwards cause im afraid to coast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I picked up the Paddy Wagon, and would recommend it to anyone! Great bike, not bad price, and perfect for around Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I'd second the suggestion about keeping an eye on ebay. There are loads of complete fixies on offer- some production bikes and some conversions - but if you know what size of bike you generally fit, I would check that out. I'd recommend steel frames over aluminium too.

Good bikes to look out for include:

On-One il pompino
    Condor Pista
    Bianchi Pista
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Surly Steamroller

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Good bikes to look out for include:

On-One il pompino
    Condor Pista
    Bianchi Pista
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Surly Steamroller
    One thing to check out is if you really want track frame geometry: bikes with 'Pista' in the name often have a steep steering head angle, which makes for 'twitchy' handling: possibly a good thing if you are weaving in and out of Dublin traffic with millimeters to spare, but takes some getting used to. They often have toe-overlap problems, too.
    I know the On-one has a regular steering angle (53o, IIRC).

Cheers for all the advice, I have settled on the Bowery 08..

http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/images/full/Bowery2008.jpg

Ordered it from wheelworx today and hope to have it by Thursday/Friday so I will see how I get on with my first fixie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

A good bike -nearly got one myself :)

Ordered it for wheelworx today and hope to have it by Thursday/Friday so I will so how I get on with my first fixie.

Ordered it from wheelworx today and hope to have it by Thursday/Friday so I will see how I get on with my first fixie.

Oooh that looks nice.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I'm back in the hospital again tomorrow for more x-rays and the like... walking and the bus is driving me INSANE

flickerx wrote: »
    Oooh that looks nice.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I'm back in the hospital again tomorrow for more x-rays and the like... walking and the bus is driving me INSANE

What happened?

Itsfixed wrote: »
    What happened?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54265735&postcount=22

wasnt on one of my fixies when it happened though, just my crap hybird i lock in town

Picked up the bike on Friday, impressed so far. Had my fist proper cycle on it last night(only 10 miles) and my legs were worn out afterwards. Never noticed how much I must have freewheeled before.

Anyway, heres a pic..notice the drop bars and rear brake removed.

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00015zr6.jpg

I saw a giant bowery in the flesh the other day, they do look the business alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

I am ashamed :o to say I am only a recent convert to the fixie but it is a real buzz :D and as mloc said it really emphasises poor pedaling technique:o
    There has been such demand that mine came into stock and was sold before I got to ride it:( I am looking forward to the next shippment this week:)

Picked up the bike on Friday, impressed so far. Had my fist proper cycle on it last night(only 10 miles) and my legs were worn out afterwards. Never noticed how much I must have freewheeled before.

Very nice.. How much did you pay for it?

Good call on getting rid of the back brakes. I have a Specialized Langster that still has both sets of brakes, but now I've gotten used to braking with my legs on my home build, I'll probably take one set off of the Langster once my hand heals up proper (the time is dragging.. not being able to cycle is so miserable)

Also, whats the gear ratio on your bike? I know I ride an insanely high one compared to others on this site, but that one looks pretty small, although its hard to tell from the pic cos the sprocket is on the other side..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Oooh, she pretty mloc123!! Very very nice. Was ogling one on the Wheelworx website yesterday and began to make plans to take a closer look. Love what you've done with the handlebars. Did you do that yourself?

I fancy getting one and making the same modifications. Currently on a Langster 07, it's great, I'm just greedy, and planning to make space in my shed by selling off my Hybrid (Crossroads Sport).

Happy (& safe) cycling to you. It's the business.

Cheers for all the comments.

The ratio is 46-17 which seems a little low on the flat but okay for climbing, I'd say I'll change it in the future as I get more used to climbing hills on it. Paid €490 for it.

I swapped the handle bars over myself, just a cut down old bar and stem from my mountain bike. I like the narrow flat bars, might take a bit more off them at the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement