Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Style Bike Lane

Options
  • 27-10-2007 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

What do people think about this system? stops cars driving in the cycle lane anyway so thats good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Looks good but if anything I think it will encourage people to walk in it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I like it, they have been using these more and more around dublin to enforce right turn only lanes etc (sandyford industrial estate, south richmond street) and they work well. These ones look like they will prevent any parking in the lanes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Good post! Picture worth a thousand words and all that.

Going to have to conted with pedestrians sauntering along in the lane tutting as we berate them for impeding us.

Not the prettiest of solutions and a bit odd considering there is now the outer half a lane is unuseable to cars which will probably end up being used by motorcycles and faster cyclists. They could have made a narrow entrance (to stop motorists stupidly entering) and then flaring wider to allow a slow and fast cycle lane so faster cyclists can overtake bimblers.

It looks like a step in the right direction but considering the excuse for cycle lanes in the city it's probably the council's reaction to poor safety statistics on that particular stretch of road rather than a genuine policy or desire for better cycling infrastructure.

KT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cyclion

Harpz wrote: »
    What do people think about this system? stops cars driving in the cycle lane anyway so thats good.
    It must be an experiment of some kind. It doesn't have the usually required markings or signs.

Have you tried passing another cyclist while riding in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

its a step in the right direction alright but the last thing i want is to be confined to that behind slower cyclist or have nowhere to go when the kamakaze pedestrians walk out in front of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

That one on O'Connell st is the only one I've encoutered. It's handy enough I suppose, allows you to get to the top of the traffic easily and get ahead when the lights go.

As cyclion says though, it's not easy to overtake. It's frustrating sometimes when the cylists ahead are incredibly slow, or are slowing down to move onto the path with no indication, or awareness of a potential cyclist behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not the prettiest of solutions and a bit odd considering there is now the outer half a lane is unuseable to cars which will probably end up being used by motorcycles and faster cyclists. They could have made a narrow entrance (to stop motorists stupidly entering) and then flaring wider to allow a slow and fast cycle lane so faster cyclists can overtake bimblers.

KT

kinda what i thinking, it looks like a good idea, till you get stuck behind a slower cyclist

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The slower cyclist thing is the reason these should be used at this width in small lengths.

A good use of them might be cycle lanes which go straight on a T-junction. Although that might hinder cyclists who are crossing the junction from getting into the lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cyclion

monument wrote: »
    A good use of them might be cycle lanes which go straight on a T-junction. Although that might hinder cyclists who are crossing the junction from getting into the lane.
    While many would think that segregation at junctions is a good safety measure, I recall reading in a cycle lane design manual that it's actually safer if a cycle track merges with the road way at a junction. The logic of this idea is that at junctions, motorists will automatically overtake and cut across anyone (pedestrian or cyclist) who is not in a traffic lane.

One thing that's missing from existing cycle-track legislation is a sign indicating when a cycle track merges with a normal traffic lane.

Getting back to the existing 'feature', I think it's very brave of Dublin City Council to engage in a live traffic experiment which has no backing from legal cycle track specifications, DTO guidelines or any cyclist lobby group. They're wide open to liability if anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I think it's great. Although i've already had the muppet pedestrians walking in it ahead of me. As for the slower cyclists - yeah, they're a pain. I tried to overtake by swinging out of the cycle lane and back in - those things give you a right whack, so don't try this. However, the gaps are bigger towards the end of it to allow for this.

By far the most annoying thing i've seen in that lane so far is 3 spaniards sitting at the end of it on their bikes having a yap, blocking the whole thing. Urghhh!
    :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement