Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A6

• 27-10-2007 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Hi,

You all seem to know far more than me about cars so a little bit of input for the following would be lovely.

My mate is selling a 2001 Audi A6.

It's petrol with 76k miles on the clock but has a brand new engine (warranty attached to that) with 1000 miles on it.Along with the engine he reeled off a load of parts that were also put in new that came with the engine....clutch,pistons(whatever they are??) among other things (I nodded like I knew what he meant).

He was very open about the circumstances.His father owned the car from new,upgraded and gave my mate the car.My mate seized the engine a week after getting it,thus the new engine which he said cost 6,500 quid.

His reason for selling is that he has just gotten a job that comes with a new car and his will be sitting in his parents driveway rotting.He loves the car and doesn't want to see it go to waste.He also doesn't want to tax and insure a car he won't be using(fair enough).

He is getting it serviced Tuesday and NCT'd at the end of next week.

Here is the best bit.He is looking for 8,000 for the car which will cover the engine cost and a few quid for himself.

To a novice like me (and this is a car I really want) this sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Would one of you more experienced chappies tell me any pitfalls I should look out for?? Or anything to inspect that I just wouldn't know about??

I know the guys dad probably never drove the car more than 20 miles at a time (retired Guard) and there is a full service history.I also know my mate only put 1000 miles on the clock as he was upfront about it.

Price sounds right,car LOOKS immaculate.I just don't wanna be one of those people that knocks on a door in 3 months saying "you ripped me off" or worse still...inheriting a dud that I'll end up pumping thousands into.

thanks in advance.

Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With a new, warranted engine, a service and a brand new NCT you can't go wrong really.

Go for it ..the price sounds very good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I agree- it sounds like a bit of a bargain if he's a mate that you're sure wouldn't do you over.

Which engine is it?

Front suspension control arms (like wishbones) are the only part that tend to go regularly in these cars- there's 4 per side and at 76k, you will be in a cycle of replacing these- just get used to it, really. It's reasonable to expect to do one or two of these every time you go for a service but it isn't the end of the world, it's just an annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cantdecide wrote: »

Front suspension control arms (like wishbones) are the only part that tend to go regularly in these cars- there's 4 per side and at 76k, you will be in a cycle of replacing these- just get used to it, really. It's reasonable to expect to do one or two of these every time you go for a service but it isn't the end of the world, it's just an annoyance.

Seems like a common problem on modern cars. How much does it cost each time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

..add labour, VRT and a pinch of Celtic Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

cantdecide wrote: »
    I agree- it sounds like a bit of a bargain if he's a mate that you're sure wouldn't do you over.

Which engine is it?

It's a 1.8 litre engine and a turbo (whatever that is??) He was honest and said it will drink petrol for fun. Also it's getting a full service Tuesday so I guess the control arms will get done if need be.

Looks like I might be onto a winner.If anyone can think of anything else to keep a lookout for keep me posted and thanks for the input guys!!

How did he manage to seize the engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Good ol' VAG 1.820VT with it's forged internals- God bless her and all who sale in her...

(Yeah, how did he seize it?)

There are a lot of manufactures making spurious control arms now and most are fine as long as you MAKE SURE it's a good brand- the first cheap spurious ones that came out caused geometry problems (as i found out about €1500 later!). They're practically consumables in these cars so a good quality spurious parts are the way to go.

For comparison, Turners Cross Motors want €280 for the main load bearing lower arm incl VAT but without fitting. Fitting these is usually about a 30 min job so if you're getting a service also, fitting can cost very little. Friendly local motor factor €70 for a good brand. Top arms and lower stabilliser arm are cheaper when genuine but around the same price when spurious.

BostonB wrote: »

He said he got the car on the motorway,opened it up(I took this to mean drove very very fast) AND THE CAR PACKED UP.There wasn't a drop of oil in it and he thought that was all but it turned out he made a complete mess of the engine.

Odd theres was no oil in the engine. But that would destroy it alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'd think there would be a light on the dash saying something. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mike65 wrote: »
    You'd think there would be a light on the dash saying something. :) Mike.
    Maybe it said 'Open Me Up' with a little engine graphic, and he mis-interpreted it? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Car sounds mint alright, 74k on it so either the timing belt will need to be replaced soon or it already has, find that out. I recommend going to a mechanic, throw him 50 quid and ask him to check out the car for you. 8k for a 01 A6 1.8T is unreal, I've a 98 A4 1.9TDI SE and I didn't pay much less than that. Is she quattro? If she is.. buy now dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dave147 wrote:
    Car sounds mint alright, 74k on it so either the timing belt will need to be replaced soon or it already has, find that out.
    Hello? Read the first post again. Car has a new engine!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

BostonB wrote: »

Before I even read the answer I knew this was a 1.8 turbo. He managed to seize it because in Audi's nearly all the 1.8T engines manage to seize themselves. I've yet to hear of someone who owned an Audi with this engine and had no problems!
    What most likely happened it is that the oil pump packed it in, and hence the engine was starved of oil. That more or less seems to be the jist of it with those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Why is he getting a car with 1000 miles on it serviced?

I mean at that price he's not going to be forking out for control arms before he sells it, is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

After it goes through the NCT , I Would still get a Qualified mechanic to look at the car to give you piece of mind to be honest , Other then that its a great price and a great car.

Sarge wrote: »
    After it goes through the NCT , I Would still get a Qualified mechanic to look at the car to give you piece of mind to be honest , Other then that its a great price and a great car.

I more than likely would anyway....but I think it sounds like a goer!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I'm looking at buying the exact same car, and I only wish I were in your position - that's a ridiculous price.

Hearing a lot of bad stories about the 1.8T engine though. I'm after an A6, specifically the 1.8T (want something with some kick). Would be buying 00, with 90k on the clock - any way of avoiding it siezing on me?? Really want the 1.8t rather than the 1.9tdi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

cianclarke wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying the exact same car, and I only wish I were in your position - that's a ridiculous price.

Hearing a lot of bad stories about the 1.8T engine though. I'm after an A6, specifically the 1.8T (want something with some kick). Would be buying 00, with 90k on the clock - any way of avoiding it siezing on me?? Really want the 1.8t rather than the 1.9tdi.

I've two friends with Audis. One has the 1.9tdi A6, the other has the 1.8t A4 and they're both 02s. To me the A6 feels a lot quicker than the A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

They do a 1.9 tdi, and then they do a super duper 1.9 tdi - something about the red i in tdi.

Chances are he has the fancier one? Not sure if they do that on the A6 and if so it's hard to get the tdi's through the UK.
    Y'know it's a good sign when the insurance company won't quote me online for the 1.8T but will on the TDI mind you... :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GB15 wrote: »
    I've two friends with Audis. One has the 1.9tdi A6, the other has the 1.8t A4 and they're both 02s. To me the A6 feels a lot quicker than the A4.

You are feeling the torque. It pulls stronger, but the petrol 1.8T is quicker flat out. A6 is a bigger heavier car too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cianclarke wrote: »
    They do a 1.9 tdi, and then they do a super duper 1.9 tdi - something about the red i in tdi.

Chances are he has the fancier one? Not sure if they do that on the A6 and if so it's hard to get the tdi's through the UK.
    Y'know it's a good sign when the insurance company won't quote me online for the 1.8T but will on the TDI mind you... :D

Volkswagen only nomenclature I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You are feeling the torque. It pulls stronger, but the petrol 1.8T is quicker flat out. A6 is a bigger heavier car too.
    Does the TDI have more torque than the 1.8T?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

If I was you I'd make sure that it has the right sized dipstick, those things can cause problems down the line.

I was thinking the price was looney for a 01 A6 until I realized it was a 3 year old thread resurrected :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kevtherev wrote: »
    If I was you I'd make sure that it has the right sized dipstick, those things can cause problems down the line.

Please don't drag up old threads. Thanks,
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement