Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in the Naval Reserves...

Options
  • 27-10-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am interested in the Irish Naval Reserves and I have some questions.

1. I live in America and only can dedicate my summertime. Would this be a problem?

2. I was interested in joining up during this summer coming so I would be 21. Would I be much older then the others?

3. How long is basic training? Will I live in the barracks?

4. How much travel do the NR really get to see?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

puffnstuff wrote: »
    I am interested in the Irish Naval Reserves and I have some questions.

1. I live in America and only can dedicate my summertime. Would this be a problem?

2. I was interested in joining up during this summer coming so I would be 21. Would I be much older then the others?

3. How long is basic training? Will I live in the barracks?

4. How much travel do the NR really get to see?
    basically summertime is when training camps are usually done aboard naval vessels and therefore you would have to join up before then to get recruit training done first which takes a few months to do, training nights take place once a week usually on a tuesday night or wednesday night depending which coy that you join, there is coys in dublin,waterford limerick and cork, as for the age it aint a problem there would be loads of people same age and older than you, you will only have to live on barracks when you go to the naval base for your recruit training camp which as far as i know is only a week during that time you get paid other than that its voluntary and as for travel you would get to see a good bit of the irish coast and if your lucky you might get to be on a foreign trip with one of the ships as each ship takes a trip once a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 puffnstuff

Do you know what month they usually have recruit training? Am I required to attend those weekly trainings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Presumably if you don't attend the weekly training sessions you won't be sufficiently well trained to participate effectively in the summer training camps. You would basically be a civilian going out for a "bit of a boat trip". A liability to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Advertisement