Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pigs in the great outdoors

• 27-10-2007 9:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Our guinea pig spent the summer outside and seems to thrive out there.
    Any idea if it would survive a winter in the great outdoors. He has a well insulated box to sleep and shelter in (approx 3in thick styrofoam!) and access to plenty of grass, but secure from foxes, cats etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My pigs & bunnies live outside all the time - never had a problem - move it to a sheltered position & she/he will be fine.

Pigs should be kept in pairs or trios really - 2 pigs are happier than one & will help to keep each other warm in the winter - make sure the pig has lots of hay & straw to keep warm. Bottles can be covered with old thick socks to protect from the frost & breaking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Mine lived out side. Make sure the sleeping quarters are 2 to 3 inches above the ground to stop the damp getting in. Foxes will check the hutch and run every night. The roof of the sleeping quarters had tarmac on top to insulate it and it was bigger than the sq so came over the edges. Have some bricks handy to weigh things down if need be.

I`d worry that they may chew the styrofoam, what is the set up exactly?.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Current setup for the cold weather is a styrofoam box with really thick walls and this is inside a wooden box with lid. The wooden box has an apex type lid and its all made with inch thick plywood as it was all I had at the time. weighs a ton so wont be going anywhere.

The whole lot is inside a large metal cage of the type dogs are kept in. This allows access to the grass, but nothing can get in unless its smaller than the guinea pig. I just move the cage to a new spot each day when I'm checking on him, and that way he gets fresh grass as well as his dried food.

So far he hasnt tried to chew the styrofoam. I can replace the box regularly as they are used for transporting samples on dry ice in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Does the cage have pegs that go into the ground to achor it to something to weigh it down. How big is the cage, rule of thumb would be a metre for each pig, personally I would go with as big as you can. You`ll then need to move it a lot less.

Advertisement