Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show house

Options
  • 28-10-2007 12:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

Hello,

This is my first post in boards, and just interested if anyone else has cast their eye upon the latest 21st century fair sized gaffs way out in the middle of cavan

(please dont snip my opinion out on loch eala which is what this is about you are not liable for my own opinion thankyou editor!)

They are very nice, im not part of the company or anything so this isnt an add, infact its more of a rant.

I was very interested in them so took the two hour drive each way to vist and spend money on deisel and 4 euro each way on the m4 toll.

I was delighted to find them with the help of my garmin nuvi, and was in high spirits looking around with my cannon a430 capturing video to show the folks back home.

When some smart arse wanker (auctioneer rep) was very rude to me about using the camera. Had he said it politely.. i guess it would have been ok, but im guessing it was because i am a "young fella" (29) in jeans and t shirt and not a suit , that i think he thought he could act the prick.

"who told you you could use that in here!" he sais in a rather smart tone (well the other reps in the house seen me use it and didn't seem to mind) i thought.

"Excuse Me!?" i say in shock of being immediately treated like some sort of criminal "is it not allowed?"

"No its not"

"Are you serious!?" I say in dismay, while trying to open some kind of rappour with his obvious dick headed arrogance.

arsehole "yes put it away"

me "but its just for the folks back home like"

arsehole "no cant do that in here"

me" why is that"

arsehole "because we say so, thats is why"

me "but there must be a reason"

arsehole "there could be plenty of reasons, but YOU are not allowed"

me" well i wont ask you anything else so"

arsehole "you can ask me all you like you just cant do that in here"

so then i ****ed off turned the camera back on and thought **** him and continued to get the rest of the house on video.

I was really interested and i have the money, but now i wouldnt even consider it, pity coz they are lovley as u can see. I'm gonna upload it to u tube just to spite his arseholiness and i want to find out who he is on teUsday to ask for an apology in the way i was treated, i was truly disgusted.

I also want to know the reason, after all it is a SHOW house and it would be nothing but extra advertising - plus any one can go see the thing including developers so its not like theres any secrets, surley video is better than word of mouth, in fact even this is advertising for them.

And if it was a legal issue then they should have had a sign stating not to use cameras at the door.

Personaly i think he was pissed of that he was working and i looked happy and he wanted to impress the auctioneer girl there with him in the kitchen, and if you read this arse hole ive just one thing to say to you...... yeah you know it.

let me know your thoughts... cheers

imaginenothing.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wouldn't worry too much about that pr**k of an auctioneer. Given the direction of the housing market lately, it's quite possible he'll be out of a job pretty soon. In fact, I'm surprised at how arrogant he was given that these houses are probably not selling well at all.

And if I were you I'd hold back longer before buying anything - house prices are sinking like a lead balloon and will continue to do so for at least the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NealOCarroll

I dunno if you were photographing the showhouse itself, or just the estate, so sorry if I'm digressing. But it made me think of something that occured to me when I was buying a house.

Think about it. If you're the guy who ends up buying the showhouse, do you really want to live with the knowledge that half of your neighbours have photos of the inside of your (furnished) house, from before you ever set foot in it? Do you really want the weirdo next door to have a picture of the room where your child sleeps? Do you want them all talking about the crappy decor you ended up with?

I always feel sorry for the showhouse owners. Everyone seems to think they're lucky, cos they get a vaguely complete home, and a lot of the mud does get cleaned out of the carpets before they move in, but I remember ignoring the "this toilet is not in use" sign in the en suite. Let's hope it was plumbed in at the time. I never found out. I think I went in the sink, anyway.

(The showhouse in our estate ended up looking horrible. They let the grass turn to jungle as soon as everything was sold, and god know how much damage got done to it during the couple of years when people trudged through it every day, most of them just being nosey or curious.)

Oh, by the way...
    I was really interested

Were you really? Were you really going to put a deposit in (and not like the one I left in the en-suite), and changed your mind because of this guy?

Or are you just, like most of us humans, happy to have something to get all indignant about? No harm in that, we all do it. Maybe it's even good for our health or something. But be honest. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 imaginenothing

Yep it was the actual showhouse, but i got outside aswell. Thats an interesting theory, and i suppose it would be a fair enough reason/explanation. I would accept it, along with an apology, Still could have been handled much better or as i said a sign.

I was actualy pretty interested, ofcourse i didnt have cash in hand or anything but as much as i dont like saying it now they are super nice gaffs.

And well to be honest it hasnt put me completely off either, i am still interested but i certainly wouldnt progress any further until i got some sort of justice over being treated that way. He wouldnt have spoke to me in such a manner if i was wearing a suit.

I dont get overexcited over nothin, i dont post rants and i dont ring in to radio talk shows but this experience makes me want to.

I agree with you about holding off a while too.

I might go and leave a present in the en suite myself ANd take a picture of it bwahahahahaha

Imaginenothing.

Come to think of it, I'd have wanted to slap the guy

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

At the end of the day, you are buying property. You have to decide whether you want it or not and if you buy it, you'll be there for a very long time. You aren't out to make friends, you're out to make one of the biggest investments of your life. It's not like buying a cup of coffee. The sales guy won't be hanging around.

People can be weird about photography in places like this. The reason is basically that the builder has spent a lot on design and outfitting for the showhouse and wants to have something better than the next developer over. He is afraid that the next builder will copy what he has done.

This goes on all the time in shops and restaurants around town. People can get paranoid about it. Personally, if I was the builder it wouldn't bother me if the person wasn't making a nuisance of him/herself.

4 euros on the toll, now that is something to worry about ...

a.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bringing a video camera seems perfectly reasonable.
    Many couples want to view houses but if one can't go then at least they can review the video later and then can go together another weekend if it's seem like a good development.

It's a fantastic website btw. Kudos to the marketing people.

Edit: It's surrounded by water-I never knew there were so many lakes in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

I was very interested in them

Unfortunately, so is the wife:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you don't like them, don't give them free advertising.

All good points but as i said any builder developer can just go in and look anyway its open to the public no matter your profession so thats a bit moot.

I do like the place though just not the way i was treated,

Not something you would bring to court, just rude, thats all i was harpen on about really, houses are magnificent! a fair bit out.

i would encourage people to check it out actually, and try get it on video too hahahaha

boards are snipping out the information i gave wtf! they are not liable for someones opinion its a personal expeience and opinion and im perfectly within my rights to say that.

please dont snip it out!

this is about loch eala!!!!!!!!!! and my experience and opinion on the way I was treated ill post it on billboards and say it on the radio if i cant say it in here!!

sheesh, seems you cant do anything these days!!

If i was over in disney land and had a bad experience are you then going to snip out disney land and put a rather ambigous title like fairground?

cummon boards!! this is supposed to be helping people get their opinions out! sheeeeeessshhhhh!

if i say im having a prblem with sky digital are you going to snip it and call it generic cable company!! no i dont think so!!

if you are not allowed to give spicifics, what the hell is the point in posting at all!!!

now i guess you can ban me for having a negative opinion on boards!! is this the furure of our world!! is there any hope?

sheeeeeeesh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

is there any hope?
    Not as long as there are lawyers. Boards is responsible for your posts, funnily enough, which is the subject of an ongoing court case involving boards. In all cases, truth is an absolute defence against libel accusations. However, boards has no evidence you aren't some wahoo out to blacken the name of a development, so why should they bear the burden of risking a court case over you?

Really!? How could boards be responsible for my own opinion?
    i dont get it, maybe i am a bit ignorant to that, but i never thought
    that could be the case. Maybe you can enlighten us on the legality of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It’s a strange one all right

People can throw abuse at Dell, Microsoft, Apple, CD-Wow or any corporation as examples.
    NTL probably get the worst of it around here (and fully deserved!)
    All these corporations have teams of lawyers who specialize in litigation

But there are cases when you can't name and shame and this is one of them.
    That’s the way it is, the feedback forum can explain why for you if you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

micmclo wrote:
    People can throw abuse at Dell, Microsoft, Apple, CD-Wow or any corporation as examples.
    They can't really, but these corporations know they look after their own interests better by dealing with complaints on the ground rather than suing everyone who looks at them crossways into the ground. Also they have better things to spend their money on.
    The laws in Ireland are based on publications, old printed media. If a newspaper editor allowed libellous or slanderous accusations to be printed and published, that newspaper would be held accountable for damages done to reputation.

Boards is viewed, at this time anyway, as a publication in the eyes of the law. If you need evidence of this check the sticky at the top of the forum (any forum) - no discussion of a certain events company, because they are currently suing boards.

Inreresting, all the same even in print media im pretty sure as the law goes once its of the writers own opinion then they cant be held liabel, as my understanding goes, i studied it a long time ago now but i do remember that much, maybe it can get more complicated then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The most likely reason I can see is that they don't want people taking photographs so that they can copy it. I used to sowk in a up and coming chain restaurant in the US. We used to have people coming in taking pictures the whole time so that they could steal the concept. They came from all over the world.

Just last night my gf's mum was telling me about having a plumber out to fix a pump and him wanting to have a look inside the (new) house for ideas.

Yawn.

Advertisement