Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Havent seen the movie. Seems to me that taking the theology out of HDM is like taking the sex out of Sex and the City.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Havent seen the movie. Seems to me that taking the theology out of HDM is like taking the sex out of Sex and the City.
    Well, they didn't really shirk from the religious aspects in the movie. As in the first book, the only 'controversial' religious element is that the Magisterium are the bad guys.

It's the second and third (in particular) books that go much further. Though I believe the movie sequels are on hold atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yeah, a much bigger change was the lack of the callous child-killing in the end. It does somewhat alter how the audience respond the the character in question!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The books were ok - I haven't seen the movie. However I don't believe that all the hype that surrounds the trilogy is deserved. Yes they were good, but Pullman's style of writing came across as a little too smug for my taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I did enjoy the books but I don't know if I would read them again, maybe in a good while but they aren't LOTR or anything!

The movie as usual was nothing like I had pictured in my head, although I though Nicole Kidman had the right frosty look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

:eek:
    my friend won't take my word for it and read these books
    :eek:

She saw the movie and thought it sucked really badly (I started watching it but fell asleep)

grrrr wish I could convince her

I *heart* these books so so much

Advertisement