Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scarred Beauty? (or handsome if lad?)

• 28-10-2007 3:29am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The current MSN Lifestyle shows a woman with a long scar on her arm and a claim to fame (and beauty) as a result of it.

I remember reading something about sword dualists of a bygone age when male competitors took pride in a sword cut scar on the face.

And lastly, have you seen the Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie (2005) film "Mr & Mrs Smith?" There was a scene where they were pridefully comparing scars.

Do you have a scar? Is it a thing that makes you more beautiful or handsome or unique? A conversation piece or something you hide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

scars a scar. it can make for interesting conversation sometimes telling each other where you got 'em.

my scars: i've one over an inch long on my knee from a metal toy car and kept reopening because i refused to have stitches. i've another few on my wrist from that time i put y hand through a window (I learned never to close a door with a window in it by putting pressure on the glass). Oh, and some more on my knuckles from punching something in anger. nothing to write home about. I couldn't care less really if i had them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

http://lifestyle.msn.com/mindbodyandsoul/womenintheworld/staticslideshowlhj.aspx?cp-documentid=5587074&GT1=10519

Thats her? She`d do the job :)

In fairness, its a minor mark on the arm. Most girls have pale spots from childhood injections, its a bit different to a facial scar or some type of burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just chicken pox scars, and one on my elbow that's barely visible from a bad carpet burn/cut

I find scars interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've a nice recent scar just beside my right eye. First soccer game of the season I got split by one of my own players goin up for a header at a corner. His elbow cracked me nicely. Fair bit of blood but just got some paper stitches and went back on :cool: It's pretty evident now though and I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

Well i dont have a scar as such but had bad ezcema as a child and have bad patches behind my knees which i hate :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

More scars than I care to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I've a big enough scar on the inside of my right arm after a car crash last year. Woudln't say I hate it, but there are times when I wish it wasn't there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I find the surgical scars (my neck, my tummy and my shoulderblade) that I have repulsive even though everyone else says that they do not notice them (well, at least the ones that are easily visible), yet I love the surgical scar that my husband has on his stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have scars from a scalding accident. Had to get skin grafts. No one ever notices them really although they're quite big (All over shoulder and arm and neck) but my boyfriend loves them and kids were always fascinated and thought it was cool that the skin was so soft.

I've always had them because it happened when I was a baby and I don't remember anything about it. (3 weeks in hospital, not one memory of it, too young.) I never think about them, doesn't even cross my mind that people might be staring or even freaked out by them. What can i do about it? If I was offered the chance to get rid of them I wouldn't. And they're a great conversation starter, as weird as it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

About 20% of my back is scarred, used to hate them but now I'm just like meh.

Also have an operation scar on my hip, looks like a shark bit tbh so I don't mind it that much :p

Also have a scar on my thigh where had a skin graft transfer between my thigh and my back.

Various other scars from minor accidents.

I don't mind em really, don't actually think about them much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I a 3" scar on my arm, ubt it's not that noticable because the cut wasn't too deep. (don't try breaking a sheet of chip board by kicking it in the middle if there is a bit of broken tile on the top of it).

I have a few small ones of my hands and knees from cycling accidents. Again, they are not really noticable, apart from one on my right knee.

The only one I have that's really noticable is the stab wound on my right hand. It's not that big though.

Even if they were noticable, I wouldn't be bothered about them.

I have a friend whose girlfriend has a couple of scars on her face. She's still hot as **** though. The scars add character to her face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

I have a scar on my neck. Every time I'm out. "oohhh you have a hickey!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I've found that i don't scar easily (burn scars gone, cut scars fade etc...). The ones i have i'm not embarassed of.

A few assorted surgical scars on my right side under my arm, a burn scar on my chest, a small one on my elbow and one over a foot long from my shoulder blade down

Some scars add character as Terry said while some aren't the most attractive thingsto adorn a body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i have a scar above my lip from a domestic disturbance with an ex a few years ago.
    Looks cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

I have one under my eye from being a drunken muppet (wasnt ina fight or anything, just arsing around the place and I ended up falling face first, the amount of blood was unreal) Couldnt feel the pain though because I was just so hammered.
    Another one on my knee from ****** last year, on them plastic boards you walk across to get to the campsite, I thought its be a great idea to slide across tehm on my knees.
    And another one from an operation I had last year.

So yeah, 3 noticeable ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I have too nasty scars on my arm where plates where put in, not attractive imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

One just above my eyebrow (can't really notice it at all) where a dog tried to make bits of me when I was about 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

I have a few, one thats pretty much covered up from my eyebrow, one underneath my right eye that just looks like a light bag and a little dent out of the bridge of my nose, but they're nothing too awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

have a massive scar on the inside of my groin that I've no idea how it got. I remember when I found it a year or two ago it was really fresh looking but now its starting to fade.

weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i have the usual few, nothing major, from falling over or banging into things. i like them on people though. it kinda makes them that little bit different from the next person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Hah, I just remembered the bit in Father Ted where Tom (the fella with the 'I shot JR' t-shirt) drops his cacks and bends over in front of Ted and shows him a scar

"Doesn't it look like a face?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Sangre wrote: »
    have a massive scar on the inside of my groin that I've no idea how it got. I remember when I found it a year or two ago it was really fresh looking but now its starting to fade.

weird.

Aliens??

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have multiple surgical scars on both my knees. They are what they are and I'm not embarrassed by them. If people don't like the look of them it's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I have one on my heel from when I slit it open when I was 5(something jagged in a rock pool). Stuff always happens to my feet!!

I also have not exactly a scar but a mark left from when some idiot kid hit me just under my right eye with the metal pole off a brush when we were about 10(accident, apparently). Left me with a sort of eye bag on one side and there's a line, I hate it!! :mad: I've never asked if people notice it, I hope they don't.........

I have one on my heel from when I slit it open when I was 5(something jagged in a rock pool). Stuff always happens to my feet!!

I also have not exactly a scar but a mark left from when some idiot kid hit me just under my right eye with the metal pole off a brush when we were about 10(accident, apparently). Left me with a sort of eye bag on one side and there's a line, I hate it!! :mad: I've never asked if people notice it, I hope they don't.........

Most people don't care about scars, and if they do they're idiots.
    My boyfriend sometimes shouts out 'Oh my God, look at that scar' and I spend ages looking in the mirror examining my face trying to figure out what he's talking about. I actually forget that my scars are there. Or else I'm stupid because he gets me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

I've an inch long vertical one right in the center of my forehead that I've had since I was kid and I don't even notice it now when I look in the mirror anymore. It's only when someone asks that I remember it. I do have one right at my hair line that looks like I shaved a line in my hair. Some scumbag split me open by swinging a belt buckle in a chipper in Tallaght a couple of months ago. If there was any other reason for getting that one I wouldn't have a problem with it, but at the moment I hate it.

I've an inch long vertical one right in the center of my forehead

Harry Potter??? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Depends on what the scar is from I guess. I have a scar on my face (lip) from being assaulted 2 years ago, certainly not one for the making beautiful or handsome and serves as a reminder of the ordeal when looking in the mirror.
    All my other scars are only from minor injuries and have a little story behind how they came to be, kinda cool I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Have a scar on my ass from when I was 6. Was playing musical chairs at a party and I got to the last two. We were both dancing around the cahair for so long that I got dizzy, fell over and landed on a china vase which smashed.

Never got stitches so it scarred. Not too noticeable though. More like a small lump.

• Advertisement

I have a slash across the small of my back.....never knew how I got it, but suspect I got it messing around in a lake.

I find men with facial scars alluring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

LadyJ wrote: »
    Have a scar on my ass
    On your ass you say... i've never heard of one there before heh

As for myself, the usual assortment of childish adventuring (stupidity) and being 1 inch from losing my sight with a scar under my eye from some idiot flinging some wood near me, oh i stabbed myself in the finger with a scissors by accident :D

One person i know has 2 huge scars along his scapulae from having collapsed lungs operated on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I have one on my right pinky, right the way around! My finger was chopped off just above the knuckle :eek:, another just below my right knee from when I was walking around blindfolded and ripped my leg open on the corner of a wall. Don't really notice them anymore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One that I think is really visible on my wrist from tripping down a staircase in to a table when I was a kid - looks like a emo-kid slash scar, but isn't. Apparently its nowhere near as obvious as I think, though.

Right cheek is slightly scarred from picking at spots too much when I was 13/14 ish, not really noticable except in really harsh lighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Depends on what the scar is from I guess. I have a scar on my face (lip) from being assaulted 2 years ago, certainly not one for the making beautiful or handsome and serves as a reminder of the ordeal when looking in the mirror.

Ditto! I have a (fairly noticeable) scar which is about 1.5 inch long above my eye (yet under my eyebrow - so on the nice fleshy part above your eye where you put eyeshadow etc!) Some eyeshadows make it even more noticeable. i'm always reminded of the night it happened and of the scumbag who did it (long story!) every time I look in the mirror. Most people don't ask me about it (as it probably looks like something dodgy happened) but if I've ever mention it people generally go "oh, is that what that's from, I always wondered" so at least I know it makes people wonder :D

Also have:-
    • Thin Scar on my wrist along with scars of where the stitches went in from when I slammed the door (pressure on glass) when I was angry with my parents as a child! Hehe -Glass just sliced my wrist, such a fright, little spoiled bitch - I got what I deserved some would say! :rolleyes:
    • Long Scar on my leg, sliced it on steel when climbing out of a pheasant-chick pen! :rolleyes:
    • Scar on chin (small one from a pitbull bite!)
    • Chicken Pox Scars
    • Scar on back of my hand - drunk friend mistook my hand for ashtray, put a cigarette out on my hand! Sore thing, took AGES to heal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

a few chicken pox scars, one on my knee too.

other than that i'm quite scar free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Just to add -Scars on guys faces can be pretty darn sexy!!! Depends on the guy of course and the type of scar but I've noticed a few guys with scars and there's something wild and dangerously sexy looking about them! It just gives them that look - they could be a real gentle giant under there though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

One on my forehead, from falling onto a stick sticking out of the ground when I was 4. One under an eyebrow from when I was 9, fell falt on my face in the school playground. One on my right ear from when I was eh 7ish swinging on bars in the school playground and managed to fall on my ear..

Not clumsy anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Too many

I was the kind of Kid that would climb the highest tree, Fall down head first, then climb it again.

I have 7 'Random Accident' scars
    5 surgical scars
    4 cat scars
    6 sword scars
    and about 200 little scars on my back from spots

I have one scar on arm tattoo'd over and im getting a large tattoo on my back to cover those ones.
    I dont really mind having them, but if I could click my fingers and make them disappear, I would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I've a scar right under my nose, between my nostrils. Story is when I was being born they had to use a forceps which apparently slipped or something and tore my poor noggin in two (ouch! - don't really remember it though :D).

Or maybe the mid-wife got fed up of waiting and said "Right, come here you!" and extricated me my clamping my nose with said instrument and giving it a good yank.

Not that noticeable anymore, my two nostril openings have totally different shapes however.

Other scars: nice long appendix scar (6") and one on my shin due to slipping on ice and whacking the corner of a wall.

My wife has a scar about 1" wide and 8" long on her upper thigh :eek: from falling on a bottle of Miwadi orange in the middle of Patrick St. in Cork years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I also have one on my head from when I was dropped on my head as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I have a long facial scar. Sometimes I see people staring, if I like them I smile.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

One light X shaped scar right at the hairline in the middle of my forhead (ran into a dishwaster when I was 4 and fell down some concrete steps when I was 5 or 6) and one on the end of my right eyebrow which is just a small bald patch (biopsy).

I think they add character ;)

I tend to make up exciting stories about them if I'm in random company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Got me a blighter on me knee after Charlie jumped us in a paddy field on the Ning Pong Delta in 'Nam.:p

Have a tiny spot on my hand from a drop of sulphuric acid from a lab practical in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Hell, I've always been old Ben. Ya' know what though, I don't mind. I mean if my muscles ache, it's because I've used 'em. It's hard for me to walk up them steps now, its 'cuz I walked up 'em every night to lay next to a man who loved me. I got a few wrinkles here and there, but I've layed under thousands of skies with sunny days. I look and feel this way, well cuz I drank and I smoked. I lived and I loved, danced, sang, sweat and screwed my way thorough a pretty damn good life if you ask me. Getting old ain't bad Ben. Getting old, that's earned.

The above quote came to mind when I was reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Have a fairly visiible one on the side of my forehead.

You can clearly see a boots stud mark and a small line where it was dragged towards my ear. Makes for interesting convo tho ... and eh, gives 'character' as someone put to me before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

How's that game go? OK, you've shown me yours, so I guess I'll show you mine. Well, maybe not show, athough it's not risque' at all. I've been in long sword training for almost 2 years now, and when I had only been practicing a few months I was doing a kata (form), slipped up and ended with 5 stitches on my hand. Didn't even feel it. Blood everywhere! But now it's just a hairline on my hand. Not much of a conversation piece. Of course I could be guilty of a sin of omission should someone notice and say something like "Was cut by a samurai sword, and really don't want to talk about it.";)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Two scars on my knee from coming off a motorbike when I was 16, my kids think it's cool that I came off a motorbike and love to tell their friends ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Loads of little ones from skating, all over my knees and shins.

Have a nasty one on my arm from a 99 burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yep, have one on my neck where ' it looks like someone tried to clothesline me with a wire'...

duno about more beautiful, but it's definitely a conversation starter... or finisher, depending on my mood, and who's asking. i know some people i've just literally grown too embarrassed around cos they would ask out of the blue and just make me uncomfortable, while others, i met teh first time and decided i loved them just cos the way they asked right out of the blue about it instead of all the sideways glances and asking my friends and stuff what had happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why does every thread turn into a show and tell??

I don't think a scar would make anyone more attractive personally but it can be intriguing and then lead to finding someone more attractive the more you consider them/it. Or something like that. I remember when I was younger and at some camp or another there was this girl who I only noticed one day because I sat near her, and she had a large, jagged scar across her neck, and both wrists. Really nasty, but fascinating, and from then on I kinda though....That girl is quite pretty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement