Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres

Options
  • 28-10-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need your advice as I haven't got a clue about cars.

I think my 99 Punto needs new tyres, they're looking a bit worn.
    Generally how often should tyres be changed? I bought the car about a year ago, it may be that the original tyres are still on the car.

It's alloy wheels that I have, I presume this doesn't make it any more awkward.

How much can I expect to pay?

Many thanks.

Joey

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have a look at www.eiretyres.net/start.html - it will give you an idea of where prices start from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Legally tyres need to be changed when the thread depth is below 1.6 mm at the lowest point.

The recommendation by automobile clubs and other institutions that regularly test tyres is to change at a thread depth of 4 mm ...especially when driving in the rain a lot.

Bulges in the side wall (after kerbing for example) also mean that the tyre should be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Cheers, I reckon I'll be changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's a little lump in the tread that I think is 1.6mm tall that show you when they're worn out.

Is this right or is supposed to be 1.6mm above the lump??

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

peasant wrote: »
    Legally tyres need to be changed when the thread depth is below 1.6 mm at the lowest point.
    Sorry to be a pedant, but Wrong! The law states that the tyres are illegal if the tread depth is less than 1.6mm over 75% of the width of the tyre at any point in the circumference. You could have a badly tracked car with the tyre nearly down to the carcase on one side and they could still be legal.... but wet weather performance is degraded even when you have twice the legal depth left, so you should never wait until you hit 1.6mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's a little lump in the tread that I think is 1.6mm tall that show you when they're worn out.

Is this right or is supposed to be 1.6mm above the lump??

I think once the surface is flush with the indicator, it's time to change. usually the indicator is more than 1.6mm though

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think once the surface is flush with the indicator, it's time to change. usually the indicator is more than 1.6mm though
    Depends where the tyres come from. The tyres you buy from Eiretyres.com are sourced in Germany, so the wear indicator is flush with the tread when there's 3mm left, as per German road law. The last pair of (Irish sourced) Firestones I changed on the wife's car had a 1.6mm (-ish) wear indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

either way, it's time to change them at that stage.

Advertisement