Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres for a Hybrid Bike

Options
  • 28-10-2007 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

Long time reader, first time posting in the cycling forum.

I got a puncture cycling to work this morning. The 4th one I’ve had in 6 weeks. Luckily I was only about a mile from my job so I wasn’t too late. Anyway, I think it’s time to invest in a new set of tyres. I’ve had my bike about 16 months now and I reckon the tyres have covered about 3300 miles.

What I’m looking for is something strong that will stand up to a gravel and glass filled bike-lane without getting punctured. My bike is a Specialized Crossroads Sport.

I reckon I’m going to go for a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Reading a bit about them they seem ideal and should help me avoid the dreaded hiss of a puncture. Has anyone got any experience of this set of tyres or can someone recommend me something similar?

I see from Cycleways website they’re open today so I plan on heading up there after work.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Specialized Armadillo are pretty popular round here. They're about 30 brick each but give incredible puncture protection. You can get them in Cycleways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Top class puncture protection (even better than the also very good Specialized Armadillos), very durable also. Marathon Plus' are very heavy (probably not much of a concern on a commuter), and they cost a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, had Marathon plus once, but only used regular Marathon since.
    Marathon plus are totally bomb-proof, nothing will go through them. They also weigh about 3 times as much.
    But I've never punctured a regular Marathon either, so I don't see any reason to pay more and carry more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Thanks lads.

Looking at the old tyres it says they’re 700x 38C (38-622) front and rear. So I’ll just ask for the same size again?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Or go for a smaller size if you want a little more speed...
    Ciaran B wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

Looking at the old tyres it says they’re 700x 38C (38-622) front and rear. So I’ll just ask for the same size again?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

You can also get Kevlar felt tape that is applied to the inside of the tyre for extra puncture resistance. Cycleogical sell it.

Advertisement