Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VLC Media player

• 28-10-2007 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was messing around with my VLC player this morning trying to figure out how to change the default brightness level (all my videos seem to be too dark for some reason) and I messed something up.

Now when I open the player, it opens with no top menu and there's no context menu either (right click). It also says "VLC (hardware YUV overlay DirectX output) as the window title, which I'm pretty sure it didn't before.

Any VLC people out there know what I've done (it could be something to do with 'skins'?)

Also, do you know how to change the default brightness? I normally go into the Extended GUI, enable, move the brightness slider, hide the extended gui, but it's a bit much every single time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Have you tried 'Restore Defaults' under entended GUI having ticked the enable box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've tried that, it merely resets the extended gui brightness that I'd changed, but my most immediate problem is that I've lost the VLC menu and playback thingy. This is what my VLC player looks like right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

From the bowels of the vlc forums
    "There does seem to be some encoders that make VLC believe there are more than 1 video encoded in the file. Right click on the video window while playing the file and select Video disable then right click again and select Video track 1 this should clear the problem.

The problem is not reproducible on very many machines and seems to revolve around combinations of hardware. For example, I have run across videos made by encoders that do not contain 2 or more video tracks and yet the flag is triggered and VLC believes there is more than 1, the option shows up in the menu but a second screen does not show up. I have also run across videos with 2 real video tracks, but still only 1 screen shows up with the option in the menu to select the second track."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I find VLC Player very good myself. Has anyone noticed that that video files register to play under VLC can't be deleted or moved afterwards, even after a few moments? Renaming with .txt or something allows me to move/delete it. Either that or a tool like unlocker.

I've just uninstalled the player as nothing was working for me. So now everything is back, does anyone know how to change the default brightness and keep it during sessions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

corblimey wrote: »
    I've just uninstalled the player as nothing was working for me. So now everything is back, does anyone know how to change the default brightness and keep it during sessions?
    I had this problem, turned out to be video card drivers iirc

Well, it's not everything I watch, about 50-50, I'd say. Some are just too dark to see anything, some are fine straight out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Must admit - I never noticed this as a real problem - though maybe a few .avi's I watched were a little too dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PhilosopherZ

I figured it out... I've had that same problem forever. Click Tools > Preferences > Video and uncheck 'Accelerated Video Output'. Then you have to close VLC and restart the video file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lydabryant

Try to uninstall VLC and install it again... :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement