Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Demolishing and Replacing

• 28-10-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

Two questions for anyone that may have any experience of this:

1) What types of aguments would generally be needed to demolish an existing habitable house and replace it with another?

2) If permission was granted for demolition of an existing dwelling and also granted for replacement dwelling, would the existing one need to be definitely demolished frst BEFORE the new dwelling is constructed. (I would need to live in this house while the other is constructed!!)

Many thanks in advance

F

Comments

I have seen it done, but unsure of the rules.

I expect that you would apply for permission to construct the new house but include in the application, notes relating to the demolition of the existing after completion of the new house.

It is after all a replacement dwelling.

We had a caravan on the site during construction, it was considered to be a "site hut" by the planners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You should check with your planners as they aren't too keen on demolishing habitable dwellings. If it was "uninhabitable", that could be a different story. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mallini

Hi Fredser,

Details of the existing dwelling house should be included in your planning application (plans elevations sections etc) and a planning fee of €80 is required on top of the planning fee for your proposed dwelling which is €65. You will need to highlight the demolition of the existing dwelling in the site notice and planning advert in the paper also

1. You could organise a preplanning meeting with you planner and discuss your plans. You could argue that to renovate or update the existing house would cost too much etc .... Unless it's a protected structure then you should have no problem with getting the go ahead with the demolition. Although your proposed house would have to be designed in such a way to be in keeping with other houses in the area. No point knocking a cottage or bungalow and building a monster two storey dwelling in its place !!!!

2. You shouldn't be required to demolish the existing house before you start your new house, unless a planning condition is imposed on you. You will probably have to demolish the existing house within the 5 year planning time frame and the council will probably state that both houses cannot be occuppied at the same time.

My advice would be to organise a preplanning meeting and go from there .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alinoee

I fully agree with pre planning meeting. go and see what planner will say but be aware that they change their minds quickly and they rotate quite frequently (you might meet sb but sb else will decide on your application).
    1. Its hard to say cos you didn’t give to much detail abut existing and new. I would start with sustainable energy( initially would not refer to house class rating) effluent treatment system, family house needs etc. make sure that you fall with the new house in local plan guidelines if council have them or get the feel on the meeting.
    2. permission is valid for 5 years and all works has to be carried out as per decision. Unless specifically conditioned – phasing of works is up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Hey folks - thanks for the useful replies.

Have a pre plan meeting organised for two weeks time. The existing house is a small bungalow on a 3/4 acre site.Unfortunately this bungalow is situated right to the front of the site so is basically on the road. Im hoping to build a dormer bungalow about 20 metres back from the road instead.

I have had a meeting with planners already regarding possible major extension to the existing and in principal they had no problem with me converting this bungalow to a dormer so I see this as a positive sign. But because of its location on the site( i.e the front) the extension possibilities were somewhat limited.

Hopefully I can convince them that I need to this for the sake of my growing very young family.

Will keep you all updated

Cheers again.
    F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Whilst the pre-planning meeting may be useful, it's neither binding nor a guarantee of success.........

I would add in to the mix that you want to build your new home further back on the grounds of safety too........got kids etc, want them away from the road ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

I have seen a few partial demolish and rebuild domestic projects around Mount Merrion in the last few years. The local authority is Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.

In several cases the planners have insisted that the applicants retain part(s) of the original facade and that is why the demolitions are partial. The properties in question were not classics or protected structures but were simply houses built as new around 1940/1950. In other cases the applicants have done complete demolitions with no nindrance. It seems hard to predict what a planner might do !

Recently heard of one case where the new house was build around the existing building and the old building "thrown out the window", no good in the OP situation but interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

UPDATE FROM OP:

Hi folks - was granted this replacement house recently first time of trying!!

In summary I included a (negativish) structural survey of existing house and detailed (begging) family needs document.

Anyhow - will hopefully be doing a blog type thing for the build - and also aiming for the lowest price per square metre seen here yet!!

F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cheapest isn't always best, I have no doubt that I could build my 2,500 sq ft for under €50 a sq ft, however I plan on spending more money on Insulation good widows and a HRV system to make sure that my build is good value over the next 25 years. Its all good and well building cheap but trying to heat it for the next 20 years could be costly.
    I hope to build mine for €60 a sq ft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement