Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Illegal reg. plates- beat this

Options
  • 28-10-2007 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

I saw a 07 jeep today, BMW X5, low profile tyres (why on a 4x4?) with the following registration:

(not the actual number)

1137 CW 07

This was the rear plate, the plate was green, no EU logo, no nothin'! How does this guy NOT get stopped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Was it a diplomatic plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Because that is a trade plate

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

^^^ beat me to it! :)

that sounds like a trade plate, garages and car dealers purchase them, usually green in colour with white lettering, no logos or flags, normally on rear or front, sometimes inside windscreen etc. perfectly legal for garage/trade use, but restrictions apply to them

"To enable a person involved in the sale and repair of vehicles to carry out their business, a facility exists whereby on payment of an annual licence fee a special unique number (Trade Plate) may be assigned to that business. The Trade Plate can be displayed on any vehicle used as part of the traders business."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

fenris wrote: »
    Was it a diplomatic plate?

Diplomatic plates arent all that different to normal ones. They just have CD on them in small black lettering

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Also when driving on trade plates they are supposed to fill out a log book in the garage and bring a copy with them, this says where they are going to / from and for what reason....

Very few of the Garda's check for this if they stop them, but some of the traffic core do... its to make sure they don't abuse the "Trade plates", eg just stick them on the car and use the car for the weekend driving the family around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

some garages throw them up on the front windscreen for test driving to validify insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

carpainter wrote: »
    I saw a 07 jeep today, BMW X5, low profile tyres (why on a 4x4?) with the following registration:

(not the actual number)

1137 CW 07

This was the rear plate, the plate was green, no EU logo, no nothin'! How does this guy NOT get stopped?

LOL not the smartest lad on the road are ya :D

Trade plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I propose this thread be deleted to hide the embarrassment of the OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

carpainter wrote: »

(not the actual number)

1137 CW 07

PMSL. If this guy's boards name is his profession, I'd hate to have my car painted by someone who doesn't even know what a trade plate is :D
    ninty9er wrote: »
    some garages throw them up on the front windscreen for test driving to validify insurance

They're to cover a car for lack of tax and numberplate, but not insurance. The Garage still must have a Trade Insurance Policy.

testicle wrote: »
    I propose this thread be deleted to hide the embarrassment of the OP :)

Too late, i've already hit "Print Screen" :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Give him a break - not all of us know everyting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

ned78 wrote: »
    PMSL. If this guy's boards name is his profession, I'd hate to have my car painted by someone who doesn't even know what a trade plate is :D
    Maybe he meant carpenter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Thats a trade plate Donkey and you can't just buy them you have to be a registered car dealer to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

"Best" plate I've seen recently
    06-MO-A6 on an Audi A6. I think the font was italic too.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

empirix wrote: »
    Thats a trade plate Donkey and you can't just buy them you have to be a registered car dealer to get them.
    this was pointed out a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

empirix wrote: »

Ehh.............. I have trade plates and I am not a car dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the clue is in the name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Also when driving on trade plates they are supposed to fill out a log book in the garage and bring a copy with them, this says where they are going to / from and for what reason....

Very few of the Garda's check for this if they stop them, but some of the traffic core do... its to make sure they don't abuse the "Trade plates", eg just stick them on the car and use the car for the weekend driving the family around...

That used to apply to limited trade plates, they're not around anymore it's just the standard one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Think it used to be illegal to use trade plates on Sundays. Does this still apply?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No, but it is illegal to use trade plates for personal use, the same goes for Commercial Vehicles. Solution : Say you're on your way to show it to someone, or in the case of a plumber on a Sunday spin, say you're on an emergency call out ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Ehh.............. I have trade plates and I am not a car dealer.

How is that possible, i thought you have to apply every year if you have a genuine car business.What do you do?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

drdre wrote: »
    How is that possible, i thought you have to apply every year if you have a genuine car business.What do you do?

Open your eyes , Engage brain before typing !

sharkman wrote: »
    Open your eyes , Engage brain before typing !

Remember who you're talking to ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lets put this thread to sleep before there are more tears

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement