Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a TD was snorting cocaine would it matter to you?

Options
  • 28-10-2007 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

With the news that Grainne Kenny of Europe Against Drugs has written to the Garda Commissioner to seek investigation of taped evidence of a TD who admitted that he was a regular user of marching powder, do boardsies care that an elected representative is a user of a potentially dangerous and of course illegal substance?

I care and hope that the gardai take the appropriate action when the name is revealed.

I also imagine if the cops do get on this case the TD in question will be flushed out by tipp off by other TDs.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Id be more concerned about the grossly inflated wages and increases, corruption, incompetence and inaction myself

This doesnt register very high on my list of irks about TD's and politicions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Id be more concerned about the grossly inflated wages and increases, corruption, incompetence and inaction myself

This doesnt register very high on my list of irks about TD's and politicions

Well a TD being a regular cocaine user might theoretically go towards explaining the last three and the first one would to me only seem more unacceptable if the person getting the inflated wages from public money was spending it on drugs.

Yes, it's important to me and I'd hope any TD found to be breaking the law would be held accountable just like anyone else in the country - and would lose their job upon being found guilty (amongst other punishments).

I'd feel the same about drug use as I would about them being found drunk on the job etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Having been recently subjected to a random drugs test in my employment I would demand the resignation of any TD found to have taken drugs. The test required me to suffer the indignity of having a witness to my urinating into a bottle and a positive test would have resulted in my losing my job. Since the test was sanctioned by a government department, I don't see why there should be one law for my fellow employees and I and another for the Minister who ordered the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Imo he shouldn't be in the position he is in if he's taking drugs. I wonder what department he is in because he could be making decisions that affect a lot of people and cannot do this in a proper manner whilst on drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

All of this interest started with a recent publication telling how the middle classes supported the drugs gangs by purchasing their wares. These same well off **** would never see themselves as allies of dealers and users. The possibility of emphasising this disgrace was sidetracked by diverting attention to the alleged activities of an unknown minister.

For the record, as long as there is a school in the country enduring random drug tests, then adults - in the Oireachtas, the airlines, the hospitals, the pubs, etc. etc. - should be similarly treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Mick86 wrote: »
    Having been recently subjected to a random drugs test in my employment I would demand the resignation of any TD found to have taken drugs. The test required me to suffer the indignity of having a witness to my urinating into a bottle and a positive test would have resulted in my losing my job. Since the test was sanctioned by a government department, I don't see why there should be one law for my fellow employees and I and another for the Minister who ordered the test.
    Nasty. It would have taken half an hour from their day waiting for me to perform!

Anyway, you already know there is one law (and probably pay scale) for plebs like you and me. I have already stated on boards ages ago that the juduciary should be tested to ensure clrity and impartiality. Given the numerous revelations regarding politicians there is an absolutley definite and undeniable case for REGULAR testing. However it will never happen because the underclass cannot make such demands of their betters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Yes, I would be bothered if I found out that my TD was a regular user of cocaine, but the real zinger would be his previous/following stance on drug use. If the guy was a vocal proponent of anti-drug laws, then I'd be getting rid of him. If he was a supporter of legalisation and his use was consistant with previous statements and voting record, then I wouldn't see a major problem (aside, obviously, from any legal ramifications).

Drug use doesn't bother me, as long as the person can do their job properly. Hypocrisy on the other hand, majorly annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

As long as he's not using it on the job I don't see the problem. What he does in his spare time is not my business and drug use should not be a crime in the first place. What would annoy me, as the poster above me mentioned, would be if he took a hypocritical stance on drug laws.

Also, Gráinne Kenny is a misinformed, idiotic, overzealous nutcase.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    As long as he's not using it on the job I don't see the problem. What he does in his spare time is not my business and drug use should not be a crime in the first place. What would annoy me, as the poster above me mentioned, would be if he took a hypocritical stance on drug laws.

Also, Gráinne Kenny is a misinformed, idiotic, overzealous nutcase.

Well, what he does in his spare time goes to the core of who he is. You are promoting drug use as ok. Fine.
    As long as you think it's ok for your parents to have been off their heads on any kind of drug while they were taking care of you? Or someone minding your kids while in a fit?
    What about that kid that was mauled to death over a period of 15 minutes while the spaced out grandparent looked on in a haze.

I'm sorry, you make me sick.
    You=consequence free society :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

<raises hand>

It would indeed matter to me if any TD was a habitual drug user. The law is the law and as long as it is, I expect the law makers to set the highest example-if that's a problem, don't stand for election.

Even if cocaine were legal, I would be very wary of TDs being under its influence as much as I would if it was alcohol.

• Advertisement

As long as you think it's ok for your parents to have been off their heads on any kind of drug while they were taking care of you? Or someone minding your kids while in a fit?
    Why would I have to think that?

Minding kids isn't the right time to use drugs. Are you for banning alcohol because parents could get drunk when they should be minding children?

You seem to have a very limited understanding of drugs....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

I am something of a libertarian so, similar to Antilles, it wouldn't bother me any what a TD does in their spare time, unless they were hooked on drugs while taking a completely opposite stance politically.

As for some of the politicians in service at the moment, it's debatable whether their performance would be any worse if they were high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What about that kid that was mauled to death over a period of 15 minutes while the spaced out grandparent looked on in a haze.

Are you a headline writer for the Sun?

Actually I was in the pub on Sunday, and there were a great many parents "off their head" minding their kids and watching the match.

Within reason, I couldn't care less what TD's do outside of office. I agree with the others who said they should just be subject to the laws they advocate themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

murphaph wrote: »
    It would indeed matter to me if any TD was a habitual drug user. The law is the law and as long as it is, I expect the law makers to set the highest example-if that's a problem, don't stand for election.

I'd agree with murphaph cocaine usage is illegal and as long as it is I'd expect the people we elect to set a pretty high example. Also if they were using it on the job I certainly wouldn't have any confidence in the decisions they were making and in the case of a minister these decisions could affect a large number of people negatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Was the TD doing cocaine in Ireland or was he abroad?
    If the former, than i'd be as concerned as i am when TD's break the law via drunk driving, speeding, illegal parking, back handers.
    If the later, then it's nobody's business.
    But i'd also probably expect the TD to be a proponent of decriminalising such drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cranmore

SeanW wrote: »
    As for ((some of)) the politicians in service at the moment, it's debatable whether their performance would be any worse if they were high.

personally i think this sentance is 2 words too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 richard_b

I would not be very concerned about a TD taking illegal drugs. My only concern would be if the TD in question had made any public comments condemning illegal drug activity. Then I would consider his/her drug use to be unacceptable. Practice what you preach.
    I would also be concerned about a TD who held a position, as an opposition spokesperson or government official in relation to the harmful effects of illegal drugs in relation to crime or health.

Wow, tea drinker your comments were a bit overboard. Maybe overboard is not the right description, but they were certainly sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Well, what he does in his spare time goes to the core of who he is. You are promoting drug use as ok. Fine.

I'm sorry, you make me sick.
    You=consequence free society :(

Tea Drinker, your user name suggests you drink tea. I'll assume this is the normal type Camellia sinensis. This beverage contains at least the following drugs caffeine and theobromine, both of these are stimulants.

Do you think drinking tea is drug use?

Do you think using drugs deemed to be illegal by the govt, often with no scientific basis whatsoever, is much worse than using legal drugs?

Do you think someone who took cannabis or heroin in 1976 to be a better person than someone who took cannabis or heroin in 1977 after these two drugs were made illegal under the misuse of drugs act?

Do you think someone who took magic mushrooms the day before Our minister for health banned them is a better or worse person than someone who took some this year?

Basically does your thinking on drug use come down to what the law is?

Like a lot of the posters, I'd prefer politicians firstly not to be hippocrates. the posters thinking of leaders in this country setting high examples are a bit idealistic, I mean the Taoiseach has if not lied, then told two incompatible stories about taking loans from friends. he then appointed friends who gave him other loans to state boards.

In fact, all long serving politicans in Ireland are probably guilty of drinking in an unlicensed premises, as the Dail bar only got it's bar license during the term of the last dail, never before having one.
    Also the Dail completely disregarded the planning laws regarding the restoration of Leinster lawn
    Also I've witnessed several ministers of enterprise let their state cars be parked on a clearway in rush hour on Kildare st, when there is a multistorey car park right beside their office.

Lastly when Grainne Kenny argues with any sort of rigour or even logic, supported with facts, and publishes a breakdown of Europe against drugs membership and accounts, then let her have her 15 mins of fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

From a practical point of view: No, so long as it wasn't effecting his ability to do his job. Similar to my opinion on anyone else who uses the drug.

From a moral point of view: If you're into this sort of thing I can see why it might bother you but personally cocaine use doesn't rank very high on my list of things TDs shouldn't do.

Tea Drinker, your user name suggests you drink tea. I'll assume this is the normal type Camellia sinensis. This beverage contains at least the following drugs caffeine and theobromine, both of these are stimulants.

Do you think drinking tea is drug use?

Do you think using drugs deemed to be illegal by the govt, often with no scientific basis whatsoever, is much worse than using legal drugs?

Do you think someone who took cannabis or heroin in 1976 to be a better person than someone who took cannabis or heroin in 1977 after these two drugs were made illegal under the misuse of drugs act?

Do you think someone who took magic mushrooms the day before Our minister for health banned them is a better or worse person than someone who took some this year?

Basically does your thinking on drug use come down to what the law is?

Like a lot of the posters, I'd prefer politicians firstly not to be hippocrates. the posters thinking of leaders in this country setting high examples are a bit idealistic, I mean the Taoiseach has if not lied, then told two incompatible stories about taking loans from friends. he then appointed friends who gave him other loans to state boards.

In fact, all long serving politicans in Ireland are probably guilty of drinking in an unlicensed premises, as the Dail bar only got it's bar license during the term of the last dail, never before having one.
    Also the Dail completely disregarded the planning laws regarding the restoration of Leinster lawn
    Also I've witnessed several ministers of enterprise let their state cars be parked on a clearway in rush hour on Kildare st, when there is a multistorey car park right beside their office.

Lastly when Grainne Kenny argues with any sort of rigour or even logic, supported with facts, and publishes a breakdown of Europe against drugs membership and accounts, then let her have her 15 mins of fame.

Well, I am certainly do not support the Dail bar etc, we really have to expect more from our ploticians (I spelled it wrong - but it's better for me)
    I agree with the other comments regarding not expecting them to be hippocrites, but the system of goverment and spineless media we have encourage it.
    But the thread here is about the ploticians use of serious drugs.
    The other comments regarding drunk parents "in charge" of kids is off topic, and warrants a thread of it's own. Suffice to say if their kid is not being looked after, sees his parents drunk, becomes agitated and is off his head on coke (the bottled type!) and runs out in front of a car there will be more than one life ruined. Completely irresponsible indefensible behaviour.

My take on it is that the politicians are washing their hands of any responsible behaviour, when they should be stand up guys instead of a stand up joke. The government is in absolute crisis, I actually wonder is it crack they are on or what. Look at the L fiasco, the pay hikes for what?

As for tea - it has many health benefits, and cannot be seriously compared to coke. :) I take the point that we can stray into a grey area regarding drug use (anti depressants, sleeping tablets all sorts of medicines) but we are talking cocaine here, so clearly a serious, illegal drug.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've seen several comments to the effect that a TD should only be condemned for using cocaine if s/he has publicly spoken out against the use of such drugs.

I think that's letting them off the hook too easily. Given the illegality of drug use, any TD who has not spoken out in favour of it should be censured for doing so on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Perhaps if some of them were using coke we might get a bit more work and cognitive processes out of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

People loose their "Common Sense" very easily about illegal Drugs, Me included. In the bigger scheme of things, taking illegal drugs has caused very little incident amoung our TD's. I mean No President has resigned after a Minister abused them while under the influence.

My take is until someone else is harmed, you are free to do whatever you want.
    If you harm any other person or thing, you must answer for your sins.
    The thing is people don't answer for their sins.
    this is why I think the Idea of wiping a criminal record after X years is a good Idea. It means well to do people who commit crimes ( assault, Drunk & Dis, etc) will be convicted just the same as everyone else.

One last take on the evil of Cocaine.
    On Shakleton's Endurance expedition, cocaine was used as a local anesthetic to prevent snow blindness. In a time when Life was much cheaper, Shackleton got every man under his command back alive to America. cocaine use wasn't abused. Like everything, cop on/commonsense/the right thing happened. I'm saying drug( or anything) use isn't bad per say, abuse is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

taking illegal drugs has caused very little incident amoung our TD's.

How on earth did you reach that conclusion? Some of the decisions taken by successive governments could only be explained by a Minister or three being "out of it"

Sins? You're on the wrong board for that sort of language! :)

Mike.

My take is until someone else is harmed, you are free to do whatever you want.
    If you harm any other person or thing, you must answer for your sins.
    Given that there's no legal way to procure cocaine for recreational use in this country, it's fair to assume that a TD who routinely uses cocaine is supporting criminal gangs.

But hey, maybe some people don't see that as "harming" anyone.

IMO it's the fact that drugs are illegal rather than the fact a person makes a choice to use a certain drug that supports criminal gangs.

That's convenient.

Works both ways, it's convenient to use the "it supports criminal gangs" argument from your side of the fence.

My side of the fence?

Let's say a TD decides to use cocaine. He buys it from a local scumbag, who in turn buys it from a gang member. That gang member uses the proceeds to buy a Glock, which is used to kill a rival gang member - oh, and a passerby who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now, you can argue that the TD should work towards legalising cocaine, which may have the effect of taking the armed scumbags out of the picture. I, however, would argue that as long as the armed scumbags are in the picture, the TD is complicit in the murder of the innocent bystander.

Whatever side of the fence I'm on, if your lawbreaking is financing murder, it's wrong. If and when it becomes completely legal to use cocaine, and none of the proceeds finance murder, then I'll have a different attitude to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Whatever side of the fence I'm on, if your lawbreaking is financing murder, it's wrong.

People will use these drugs regardless of whether they are legal or not, legalising them just creates a new tax stream out of what used to be paid to criminals. You can take the view that it is the law that provides the environment for these criminals to flourish rather than the users themselves if you take the view that people will not obey the law absolutely.

It's like taxing cigarettes up to 20 euro a packet, you'd just be creating a ready to go black market that would generate huge sums of money for criminals. As is, black market cigarettes are a nice little earner for them.

Advertisement