Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my M&Ms study

• 28-10-2007 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theatre of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world.

Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment.

When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to:

M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc. Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A.

along with a 3x5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes."

This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I am interested in your discovery and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

That's ****ing brilliant.

Nice one, magick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

I used to have an M&Ms obsession too, actually I did a Powerpoint presentation on M&Ms in college a couple of years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

- bo - wrote: »
    I used to have an M&Ms obsession too, actually I did a Powerpoint presentation on M&Ms in college a couple of years ago :)

:confused: what sort of college did you attend??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Any space of your research group? I always wanted to do my doctorate on M&Ms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

mcauley wrote: »
    :confused: what sort of college did you attend??? :confused:

Dundalk IT, we had to do a presentation on "anything we want"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Question though - wouldn't the M&Ms with less rounds to compete in have a better chance of making the final....Seems as the winner has to keep competing until outright winner or is beaten?

So in theory, a "reject" M&M could actually win - you could, in fact, be sending rejects to the company for breeding purposes!!! What have you done?! :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Join a gym or club, or take up a hobby

ColHol wrote: »
    Join a gym or club, or take up a hobby

I think you need to rephrase to "socially acceptable hobby" - he clearly already has a hobby..... :)

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

magick wrote: »
    Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theatre of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world.

Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment.

When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to:

M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc. Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A.

along with a 3x5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes."

This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.

i have discovered a flaw in your operation, as the next M&M picked to do battle is a random procedure, the last M&M out of the bag is faced against a M&M who has already done battle, hence will already have an advantage as the reigning winner may have been weakened or have unseen injury.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    i have discovered a flaw in your operation, as the next M&M picked to do battle is a random procedure, the last M&M out of the bag is faced against a M&M who has already done battle, hence will already have an advantage as the reigning winner may have been weakened or have unseen injury.

Beat you to it... ;)

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Agreed. This research should be done in a round-by round basis (ala Karate Kid 1) rather than a winner-stays-on format. The findings are meaningless otherwise.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Agreed. This research should be done in a round-by round basis (ala Karate Kid 1) rather than a winner-stays-on format. The findings are meaningless otherwise.

yes, and have a random draw for each round, we could even get in sponsor, or a glamour girl to over see procedings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Please link me to your mailing list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

magick wrote: »
    Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately.

what if, unbeknownst to you, one thumb and forefinger are a lot stronger than the other? it doesn't bear thinking about. flawed results, inferior breeding, the eventual collapse and downfall of humanity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Brilliant! Wild applause :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

omfg, funniest thing i'v EVER read. i'm in tears.. kudos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Google it, you'll find hundreds of people with the same mailing list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

You could seperate them into teams, and then the winne rof a plays b etc. Like the way the world cup works

also blue tastes better, and should get more points

Magick, I think you need to recruit a few consultants from this thread to make sure your findings are accurate :) We also may be somewhat interested in any future grants.....

🤪

• Advertisement

Sky will buy the telvision rights for €150 million. Setanta will buy the rights to twenty M&M match ups, but they will only be between blue ones, yellow ones and green ones, and wont have any of the match ups involving red or brown m&m's.

Match of the Day will also cover highlights but will eventually annoy the manager of the yellows and will not be able to interview him....

🤪

a governing body would need to be introduced though, i sugest the MNMSA (M N' M Sporting Asocation), with strict rules, cant have a refridgerated M&M having an unfair advantage over an off the shelf M&M

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Isn't an M&M's reason to be that they will eventually be eaten? By this standard, the ones that get eaten first are the genetically (?) superior ones and the hard, inedible ones are inferior.

I mean, what sort of mutant super M&Ms are you trying to breed, and to what end?

To win the FA Cup obviously

Isn't an M&M's reason to be that they will eventually be eaten? By this standard, the ones that get eaten first are the genetically (?) superior ones and the hard, inedible ones are inferior.

I mean, what sort of mutant super M&Ms are you trying to breed, and to what end?

wonder what the MNMSA would have to say on that
    a governing body would need to be introduced though, i sugest the MNMSA (M N' M Sporting Asocation), with strict rules, cant have a refridgerated M&M having an unfair advantage over an off the shelf M&M

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mmmmm m&ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm not surprised that the red ones are stronger than most considering that the red food colouring used in M&M's is made from ground up Beetle shells.

Also, the M&Ms that are more egg-shaped will be inherently more strong due to the biomechanical strength found in the shape of a structure that is egg-shaped. Try to crush an egg between the palms of your hands lengthways for proof.

So therefore Red Eggshaped M&Ms are the strongest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i am encouraged by this feedback and shall be using it for my other encounters to find the apex of food stuffs

and to think when i orginally posted this in personal issues i got banned for it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

Advertisement