Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloth Insignia- Irish DF

• 28-10-2007 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

shoulderflashes.jpg

Some Shoulder Titles, mostly of UNIFIL Battalions. The 40 Cn Cois served in Cyprus. Cn Cois is an abbreviation of Cathlán Coisithe meaning Infantry Battalion. CC Teascóige I cannot remember exactly what it was. Civil Defence I think.

Overseas1.jpg

Top; Types of Ireland Flash. Centre; UN Flash, Bottom; KFOR Flashes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Nice collection, Mick86!

Thank you for sharing. :)

Best,

Preusse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

brassard-1.jpg

This item is called a brassard. No longer in use they were usually used overseas. This one was used in Cyprus and has the owner's unit (7th Infantry Group), Ireland flash and rank markings sewn on.

RDFFlashesPre2005.jpg

These are from the old FCA Units pre the re-org of 2005. The top two are of
    3rd Cavalry Squadron. The one on the right in use until about 1990 when it was superseded by the left hand one. Bottom left is 3rd Field Artillery Regt and bottom right 14th Infantry Battalion.

PDFFlashes1.jpg

PDF Flashes Top- 3rd Infantry Battalion, 12th Infantry Battalion. Bottom, 1 Southern Brigade and Depot Transport.

Rank.jpg

Above Top; 1st Lt, Captain. Below 2 Star Private, Corporal.

Below Company Quartermaster sergeant. Top Service Dress No 1. Bottom left; Rank Slide Working Dress. Bottom Right similar but it's a Miniature Rank Marking that can be sewn directly to a uniform, a velcro patch or in this case onto a made-up slide.

Cqms.jpg

Fob1.jpg
    Fob2.jpg
    Fob3.jpg

Not Cloth insignia, these items are of overseas origin. Specifically Lebanon, I think. The top two are UNTSO items. Top OGG stands for Observer Group Golan, Middle OGL Observer Group Lebanon. Bottom is UNIFIL Military Police. They are usually unofficial items for the Irish Army anyway and were worn from the breast pocket button.

• Advertisement

Mick86,

do you have an idea when/what year(s) these different insignia were used? Would be good to know how far back or how recent items are. ;)

Preusse wrote: »
    Mick86,

do you have an idea when/what year(s) these different insignia were used? Would be good to know how far back or how recent items are. ;)

The UNTSO ones are recent, within the last 5 or 6 years. The MP Coy one is 1980s vintage I think. UNTSO is an ongoing mission so probably tehre are Irish officers wearing similar items at the moment. In UNIFIL lads used buy pocket fobs like those from Arab traders. There were literally hundreds of different designs. I never bothered with them and now I regret it.:o There are drawers and boxes all over Ireland with loads of things like that thrown in them. I've been trying to get some off my buddies but no luck so far.:(

UNIFIL1.jpg

Back to cloth insignia. This is the unit flash worn by the combined Finnish-Irish Battalion in Lebanon Oct 2006 to Apr 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

nice!thank you for posting them!

Thanks Mick! It's always nice to see these in their historical context. And don't give up looking for these. Keep on 'reminding' your buddies that you collect and also have a look at car boot sales, etc. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Nice collection Mick, I enjoyed learning a little about them, unfortunately I'm not up to scratch on Irish insignia.

• Advertisement

Glad you are enjoying the thread, lads.

A few more overseas flashes;

Overseas2.jpg

Three variations on the UN Flash; Left is early 1960s Congo era with teh French abbreviation Organisation du Nations Unies. Centre 1990s era Spanish version for use in Central America. Right current standard flash.

Overseas3.jpg

Early Ireland flash from 1960s.

shoulderflashes2.jpg

shoulderflashes5.jpg

shoulderflashes6.jpg

Some of the earlier UNIFIL battalions. The colour was standardised about 1990 to Yellow on Green and using the wording Irishbatt. Before that tehre were variations in colour which made them more interesting. Also the abbreviation Inf Bn was sometimes used. UNIFIL battalions were numbered from the 43rd Bn (May to Oct 1978) which did not have a shoulder flash issued. The last fully Irish battalion was the 91st Irishbatt which was in Lebanon Apr to Oct 2001. The combined Finnish Irish battalions deployed from Oct 2006.

shoulderflashes4.jpg

Left above are more UNIFIL flashes. The FMR stands for Force Mobile Rserve and it was a multinational backup to the Infantry battalions. The Irish Components were a small Irish group that served in UNIFIL HQ.

shoulderflashes3.jpg

On the right 2 Tpt Coy served in Somalia in 1993. the two MP Coys served in Iraq in the late 80s, early 90s following the Iran-Iraq War.

clothinsignia.jpg

Left; unit flash Transport Corps Base Work Shops. Right Rank Slider Commandant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 garymac27

anybody got any trade items?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

anybody know where i can get any of these esp the un linked ones thanks loads great thread

Advertisement