Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its Halloween - Do you believe in ghosts??

• 28-10-2007 2:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Well any believers in the paranormal out there or do you think its a load of boll&cks.

do you believe in ghosts?? 103 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    33% 35 votes
    yep, sure don't i share the house with a few
    66% 68 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I've believed in them ever since I saw the movie Ghostbusters. It just made sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No, I have a fully functioning brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sangre wrote: »
    No, I have a fully functioning brain.

QFT.
    I have about as much belief in ghosts as I do in "God".
    Which is nill in both cases.
    Thankfully:d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

no don't believe in ghosts, they are up there with God in the daft things people believe in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I always get the heebie-jeebies when I go out for a smoke here, shadows, movements, the feeling that someone is walking behind me, all the time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Nope don't believe in them. I wish they did exist though because that would be really exciting dontya think? Having loads of ghosty friends like in The Frighteners

And when the "psychic" people contact these ghosts on the "other side", whatever information they get is usually a load of boring shyte.

"Oh yes I can hear her now, something to do with the letter "M", maybe it's mary or maggy or something, and she had a dog". Crap like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Ghosts no!!

But i do believe in spirits .....................................................................................Vodka, whiskey, brandy...etc

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

MooseJam wrote: »
    no don't believe in ghosts, they are up there with God in the daft things people believe in

ah you gotta believe in something:o

No ya don't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

DaveMcG wrote: »
    No ya don't :)

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Of course not.

sorry but whats...QFT an abbreviation of ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

quoted for truth.

ghosts are for children and other mental deficients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I didn't but then I saw this video

dang, beaten by projectmayhem

jesus ****ing christ, I just watched this and had a ring flashback

shaking now.

sadako is not real..sadako is not real....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yup. Not in the "white sheets and two eyeholes" sense, but I believe in a soul/lifeforce/aura/spirit/ka and I believe under exceptional circumstances that living beings can come into contact with the souls of the dead.
    I've seen a ouija board work several times, and read enough about poltergeists and possesion/exorcism cases to leave myself with a very open mind.
    That said, it doesn't frighten me and I don't believe that it can do me harm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Well I am not much of a believer either but I have seen things nobody can explain when I was 4 my parents were looking at buying a new house and they brought me with them to see a place. They were looking aroung so I went into the sitting room and I saw an old woman in the corner sitting down, didnt look in the least ghostly. so anyway I asked my parents why they hadnt talked to the old woman and of course they were a little taken aback. There had been an old woman but she had died and her son was going to sell the place.
    Anyway I know what I saw, I guess most people need to see something to believe though

• Advertisement

you don't know what you saw... you were four.

I know exactly what I saw, I may have been four but I should recognise an old woman when I see one.
    What maybe you think I mistook the kitchen dresser for an old woman? :rolleyes:

I know exactly what I saw, I may have been four but I should recognise an old woman when I see one.
    What maybe you think I mistook the kitchen dresser for an old woman? :rolleyes:

Couldn't have been your imagination, no? Not possible at all?

Just curious, but how did you know an old woman lived there and had died?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Yea, I do believe in them:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I have had 2 encounters in my house, 1 with a 6-10 year old girl with dark hair.
    The other was just a shadowy figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dude.
    Not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It's all a load of b@lls imo.

People have tried to convince me that ghosts are real, but I can see right through them.

/heads for the exit

are any of you watchin most haunted live on the telly at the mo, they're in some haunted guest house...its great craic:p

http://www.mosthauntedlive.net/webcams/all.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

is it possible given the fact that over 100, 000 people die every day that the energy from the deceased transfers into another form? i mean there are things in this world that even the most rational board.ie posters can't even explain.
    As an example I bet not one of you can explain how Jacobs gets the fig into the fig roll?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

is it possible given the fact that over 100, 000 people die every day that the energy from the deceased transfers into another form?

No.
    i mean there are things in this world that even the most rational board.ie posters can't even explain.

No there isn't.
    As an example I bet not one of you can explain how Jacobs gets the fig into the fig roll?

With a machine, that was built in Germany, by the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Having never met on or seen irrefutable evidence of one, I'd have to say nope...

Couldn't have been your imagination, no? Not possible at all?

Just curious, but how did you know an old woman lived there and had died?

No it wasn't my imagination, I know it because my parents told me the story when I was old enough to understand. They didn't tell me when I was 4, as they didn't want to frighten me. Funny thing is I remembered it not because I thought I had seen something but because my parents had been rude by not talking to the woman.
    Anyway i am not trying to convince anyone here, I am just relating my own experience.

No it wasn't my imagination, I know it because my parents told me the story when I was old enough to understand.
    Anyway i am not trying to convince anyone here, I am just relating my own experience.

maybe you're gifted, a medium perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 captainautumn

Don't be so quick to dismiss spirits out of hand just because you yourself have not experienced it.
    I saw a ghost when I was 15. My brother saw it too and explained exactly what he saw before I opened my mouth:eek: It was the shadowy figure of a lady on the second floor of an old barracks building. When we psyched ourselves up to go over and have a look we saw that there was no second floor in the building. The window from which she'd appeared was totally isolated. It HAD to be a ghost.
    I also experience the oojia board working on a number of occasions.
    I feel sort of honoured to have experinced these events as I now know that there is more to life than the physical energy that we see every day.
    I will admit though, I would probably be a disbeliever if I personally hadn't experienced these events for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Don't be so quick to dismiss spirits out of hand just because you yourself have not experienced it.
    I saw a ghost when I was 15. My brother saw it too and explained exactly what he saw before I opened my mouth:eek: It was the shadowy figure of a lady on the second floor of an old barracks building. When we psyched ourselves up to go over and have a look we saw that there was no second floor in the building. The window from which she'd appeared was totally isolated. It HAD to be a ghost.
    It didn't have to be a ghost. You couldn't see a logical explanation so decided it was a ghost.
    I also experience the oojia board working on a number of occasions.
    Wertz wrote: »
    I've seen a ouija board work several times,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija#Scientific_explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Ghosts are real. The Holy Ghost? The Lord God Almighty is infalible and he is the Holy Ghost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I saw a ghost when I was 20, nobody believes me but I know what I saw! Didn't really believe in them up until then but now I do, definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    It didn't have to be a ghost. You couldn't see a logical explanation so decided it was a ghost.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija#Scientific_explanation

With no one touching the glass pointer momentarily and it continues to move? A small glass that wouldn't break when bounced twice off a granite hearth (we freaked and the guy who chucked it wanted to break the circle/session)?
    Sorry chuckles, I know what I saw/felt and I don't believe everything I read on wiki. I've seen the pointer worked by two people with one little finger each and both users having their arm pulled around the board after the pointer.
    It's more than 15 yrs since I even considered doing a board....after dabbling, myself and the other guys involved had what we sometimes consider a run of bad luck (completely subjective, no way of proving it beyond cooincidence).
    I don't expect to be taken at my word, and frankly I don't care what anyone else believes, I can only pass on what I experienced with my own senses....it wasn't subconcious or anything underhand. I am partly of the belief that it is some form of internal energy (possibly relating to lifeforce) that flows between 2 or more people through the pointer, more so than the possibility that it's some external spirit force pushing the glass around, but I have a hard time believing it's a subconcious reflex. I am not otherwise religious and would consider myself to have more of a logical outlook in general than a spiritual one....but experience is my only reference and I know what I experienced. Laugh if you will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This isnt one of those stupid jumpy clips but its good none the less.

• Advertisement

I do, but I don't expect anyone else to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't believe in ghosts but something very strange happened to me last night.

I was in bed reading a book, but for some reason I stopped to look up. There's a pane of glass over the door in my room and when I looked at it I could swear I saw a strange face reflected in it. Just a trick of the light I thought, so I went back to reading my book when all of a sudden the light above me started to flicker and went out for about 5 seconds and then came back on. Almost as soon as the light came back the lid of a bottle that was sitting beside me popped off and the bottle fell over. Very strange but for the life of me I can't think of an explanation. Maybe just some strange coincidences? I don't know.

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I was in bed reading a book, but for some reason I stopped to look up. There's a pane of glass over the door in my room and when I looked at it I could swear I saw a strange face reflected in it. Just a trick of the light I thought, so I went back to reading my book when all of a sudden the light above me started to flicker and went out for about 5 seconds and then came back on. Almost as soon as the light came back the lid of a bottle that was sitting beside me popped off and the bottle fell over. Very strange but for the life of me I can't think of an explanation. Maybe just some strange coincidences? I don't know.

weirdly enough last night i had two bouts of sleep paralysis, which can be scary at the safest of times. first time came right after i heard a voice saying "stop", so i tried (in vain) to kick my girlfriend. then as soon as it stopped (5mins later, scary as hell for it to last so long) i tried to roll over like a bitch to teh womanz, and right as i went for the roll another bout of paralysis came along. no voice the second time but one of the doors to the water tank area (this is an attic room) popped open and closed really quick.

never so freaked out in all my life

Come on people, open your eyes, Ghosts are real, they are all around us. My response to anybody who says ghosts aren't real is this: Eh...the Holy Ghost?

TheThing! wrote: »
    Come on people, open your eyes, Ghosts are real, they are all around us. My response to anybody who says ghosts aren't real is this: Eh...the Holy Ghost?

Is just as likely not to exist as casper

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is just as likely not to exist as casper

Eh...I think you need to go read the Bible

Eh...I think you need to go read the Bible

you should go read casper.

you should go read casper.

Casper is a film but...

The Holy Ghost is refered to many times in the Bible, if that isn't proof that ghosts exist then I don't know what is.
    Also, can you not remember mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Casper is a film but...

The Holy Ghost is refered to many times in the Bible, if that isn't proof that ghosts exist then I don't know what is.

Troll.

And yes i do believe due to a few experiences in my home and other things. Yet i don't expect anybody else to believe and i realise i may look like an eejit sometimes for saying i do believe but frankly i couldn't care less. It's my opinion and i'm proud i have such an open look if you will on life and spirituality.

Casper is a film but...

casper was a comic in the 1950's, and a cartoon... then a film.

my point is that casper is as relevant a source for the existence of ghosts and ghouls as the bible.

and no, i can't remember mass. haven't been in a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement