Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its Halloween - Do you believe in ghosts??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Can't say I do, don't have any belief in suspicious 'things' unless I've seen them for myself. I think that guy on TV, the scouser one, is just a con artist.

Used to think there were banshees when I was a kid and I was scared ****less of them when I went down the country to my auntie's house but then I figured out it was the wind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

casper was a comic in the 1950's, and a cartoon... then a film.

my point is that casper is as relevant a source for the existence of ghosts and ghouls as the bible.

and no, i can't remember mass. haven't been in a while.

You said yourself that casper is 50 years old, well the Bible is 4000 years old, so I think is has a bit more meaning that Casper. I am just trying to get my point across here; the majority of people believe in God, so they too believe in ghosts, like the holy Ghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

TheThing! wrote: »
    the majority of people believe in God, so they too believe in ghosts, like the holy Ghost
    well 37% of people believe in ghosts according to sky news today.
    I'm one of them mad people who doesn't believe in either ghosts or god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

You said yourself that casper is 50 years old, well the Bible is 4000 years old.

No the Bible as it stands was pieced together less than 2000 years ago, by the Vatican. It's a bunch of faerie tales to help us live together in peace, and donate to the Roman catholic church. It needs a good pinch of salt, and if you read and believe everything in it (Adam & Eve, Noah and all that shiyte)
    Then you may suffer from a disease called stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Anyone know that programme, I think it's called 'Most Haunted' ? I mean the one with the 'supposed' psychic/medium from Liverpool, who occasionally faints and becomes posessed etc. by the ghost they are investigating during the programme.

And do you know the way General Motors occasionally recall defective cars ??

Well, If you watch these programmes and believe them, you seriously need to go in for a tune up.

It has to be the biggest pile of crap ever broadcast on Television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

You said yourself that casper is 50 years old, well the Bible is 4000 years old, so I think is has a bit more meaning that Casper. I am just trying to get my point across here; the majority of people believe in God, so they too believe in ghosts, like the holy Ghost

the Holy Ghost isn't a ghost, the Holy Ghost is God, a ghost is the restless spirit of a dead person

MooseJam wrote: »
    the Holy Ghost isn't a ghost, the Holy Ghost is God, a ghost is the restless spirit of a dead person

The Holy Ghost is a spirit. There is proof that the Holy Ghost exists, and therefore there is proof that ghosts exist

The Holy Ghost is a spirit. There is proof that the Holy Ghost exists, and therefore there is proof that ghosts exist

there is no proof the holy ghost exists, it's a myth for weak minded individuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Wertz wrote: »
    I can only pass on what I experienced with my own senses....it wasn't subconcious or anything underhand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect (I know wiki again, but its a simple source and means I don't have to go trawling through sites)

If it was a subconscious reflex you would have no idea you did it. The ideomotor effect is real and has been used to replicate the experiences of a ouija board.

• Advertisement

Well then the majority of people must be weak minded, ghosts are real, just because you haven't experienced them in your own life doesn't mean they aren't there and the same goes for the holy ghost

Well then the majority of people must be weak minded, ghosts are real, just because you haven't experienced them in your own life doesn't mean they aren't there and the same goes for the holy ghost

there is zero documented evidence of the existance of ghosts, thats right none, they don't exist, get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

When i was about fifteen, I woke up in the middle of the night once, completely paralysed. I couldnt move a muscle and there was something pressing down on my chest so i could barely move.

I don't know much about subconcious or whatnot, so you may say i was imagining it, but honest to f*ckin god, when i opened my eyes, there was this wrinkly old lady stradling me, doing you know what. Her skin was a pallid ghost-like shade of grey and her breath stank like something evil. I passed out with fear, and thankfully she was gone when i woke up that morning.

The next day we had to ship nan off to the nursing home cos it was the fifth time she'd done that, and she died soon after. Havent seen her since she died. So no, I don't believe in ghosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

there is zero documented evidence of the existance of ghosts, thats right none, they don't exist, get over it

I hope you are implicitly excluding Casper from this remark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i have seen a number of people on this thread claim they saw Ouija Boards work, absolute BS.

penn and teller did a show on ouija boards a few years ago and they blindfolded the participants and then turned the board upside down and the results were hilarious, even though the participants thought they were moving to the yes/no sections etc they were not anywhere near instead they moved they planchette into blank spaces on the board :D

Orange69 wrote: »
    I hope you are implicitly excluding Casper from this remark?

goes without saying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i have seen a number of people on this thread claim they saw Ouija Boards work, absolute BS.

penn and teller did a show on ouija boards a few years ago and they blindfolded the participants and then turned the board upside down and the results were hilarious, even though the participants thought they were moving to the yes/no sections etc they were not anywhere near instead they moved they planchette into blank spaces on the board :D

I love when people run of to snopes, mythbusters or Penn and Teller whenever they have a problem with something but have no idea how to disprove it themselves.
    The argument against blindfolding participants is that the supposed spirit guide uses the eyes of the people using the board to see where letters and numbers are on the board; you blind the participants, you blind the "spirit".
    Have you ever done a ouija board? I don't personally recommned it but please don't come in here calling me a liar just because I'm truthfully reporting what I experienced...

Ciaran500, I read the link from the original wiki link and I'm still not fully convinced that it's as easily expained away as that. I think keeping an open mind on it is a better option. Thanks though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

:rofl:

I love when people run of to snopes, mythbusters or Penn and Teller whenever they have a problem with something but have no idea how to disprove it themselves

no need to disprove it, ouija boards are a loads of balls, ouija boards are a trademark of parker brothers (a toy and game manufacturer; the same guys who make monopoly, cluedo, Trivial Pursuit etc) nuff said ;)
    The argument against blindfolding participants is that the supposed spirit guide uses the eyes of the people using the board to see where letters and numbers are on the board; you blind the participants, you blind the "spirit".

what are you serious :D ????????????

Every single thing can be explained rationally whether its ghosts, demons, esp, near death experiences, monsters, visions of the future etc etc. Guys like Penn and Teller and James Randi have spent their lives investigating these claims. In 1964 Randi offered $1,000,000 to anyone who could demonstrate evidence of any paranormal, supernatural or occult power or event, under test conditions, not surprisingly NOBODY has been able to claim this prize after more than 40 years; although many have tried :)

Keeping reading those wikis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I don't really know if it makes sense to define "ghost" in the context of belief. Either they exist or not, our opinions have no real relevance.

All I know is I've had some freaky experiences with the other side of the veil. It frustrates the ****e out of me when I try and relate them to other people, only to have them attempt to pole holes in my experience. It's not a theory, just a story. Enjoy it, or pi** off. :p

• Advertisement

Keeping reading those wikis...

http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

go on then, i'm sure you could do with a million dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

philstar wrote: »
    maybe you're gifted, a medium perhaps

Or a small or a large :o

(oh god why did i have to say that)

rossie1977 wrote:
    Every single thing can be explained rationally whether its ghosts, demons, esp, near death experiences, monsters, visions of the future etc etc. Guys like Penn and Teller and James Randi have spent their lives investigating these claims. In 1964 Randi offered $1,000,000 to anyone who could demonstrate evidence of any paranormal, supernatural or occult power or event, under test conditions, not surprisingly NOBODY has been able to claim this prize after more than 40 years; although many have tried :)

To be quite honest, you'd have to pay me/a lot of people a hell of a lot more than 1 million dollars to deal with whatever publicity would ensue. and even then, I'd re-think it.

the publicity? you'd be helping to legitimise what could be the most important discovery in human history. excuse us for bothering you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bluewolf wrote: »
    To be quite honest, you'd have to pay me/a lot of people a hell of a lot more than 1 million dollars to deal with whatever publicity would ensue. and even then, I'd re-think it.
    Well that's an excuse I've never heard before...

Still, the publicity hasn't stopped hundreds of people applying over the years.

Nor to any of these challenges:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prizes_for_evidence_of_the_paranormal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

B!ue looks in mirror. Sees no reflection. Well?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Thats enough, stop trolling your beliefs in a discussion thats about ghosts for ****s sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

When i was about fifteen, I woke up in the middle of the night once, completely paralysed. I couldnt move a muscle and there was something pressing down on my chest so i could barely move.

its called sleep paralysis happens to me all the time

http://skepdic.com/sleepparalysis.html

To be quite honest, you'd have to pay me/a lot of people a hell of a lot more than 1 million dollars to deal with whatever publicity would ensue. and even then, I'd re-think it

$1 million was a hell of alot of money in the early 1960s. For example if people really can see the future then how come they never predict tragic human events like 9/11 BEFORE they occur.

the thing most people have to take into account is that people like James Randi and Penn/Teller are world class magicians and have seen every trick in the book when it comes to magic.

Some of the stuff i saw P+T perform on stage in las vegas i could not explain, they explained alot of their stuff on the night but at the end of the day you knew it was all just an illusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

philstar wrote: »
    its called sleep paralysis happens to me all the time

http://skepdic.com/sleepparalysis.html

I get this from time to time. Your body is asleep but your mind is semi awake so you can give commands to your muscles but they ignore them. Its kinda trippy, feels like you are paralyzed.

Has anyone tried that thing where you condition yourself to gain control of your dream state? So you can play around in there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes, That is true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Methinks that The Rig is a ghost that haunts boards day and night. No mortal being could stay up so long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Originally Posted by rossie1977:
    "Every single thing can be explained rationally whether its ghosts, demons, esp, near death experiences, monsters, visions of the future etc etc"

Not **everything** can be explained rationally in my view

Even the great Fritz Zwicky would not make such a bold claim. For instance The wandering albatross defies rational explanation - it does just what its name suggests: wandering at random in its long search for food in the southern oceans of the world, a study of the bird has found.

Yet you said there is a rational explanation for everything:p

science is not infallible nor are you omniscient, rossie1977. 200 years ago, were you alive, you probably would have dismissed the suggestion that over 80(?) per cent of what is in the universe is unseen. in the same way what you may now dismiss as capable of being explained rationally, otherwise it's scientifically unsound, maybe accepted fact in hundreds of years time.

you dismiss the existence of ghosts- as there being a rational explanation for every sighting of a ghost.
    yet it could be possible that they exist because of a physical phenomen we cannot presently explain or observe.

Is there a rational explanation for the belief in god? Do we gain anything by postulating a god as the explanation?

Putting God as the explanation of the origin of the universe is getting you essentially nowhere.

Why is there something rather than nothing? Well, there is a fairly simple explanation to that. How many ways are there for nothing? One. How many ways are there for there to be something? An infinite number. Even if an actual infinite, what are the odds? A bit of a joke argument, but I think you can see the point... Appealing to God as the explanation of the origin of the universe is, getting you essentially nowhere. clearly there is no rational explanation for the belief in God. yet you'd have me believe there is a rational explanation for everything:) Rationality is based on perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

bluewolf wrote: »

lol

Maybe if things got really tough you'd rethink it? Or you waiting for the exchange rate to pick up?

Unfortunately, my belief in ghosts went out with the toothfairy. Ah I remember it well, twas the morning of my birthday and I had lost a tooth the day before. Looking under the pillow I was disheartened to find a note saying 'We have to talk.' Needless to say I was overwhelmed when my parents told me. But being my birthday I didnt let it get to me, and I had a cracking 21st in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I seen loads of ghosts my house is built on an old church and the old graveyard is still behind the house. We've done the Ouija board on they're tombs. One time a log exploded as we where running out of the place. Stupid ghost what are they gonna do about it? We'd spend Halloween teasing them for having no bodys even the dog took the piss every so often there'd be an ol jaw bone or someit outside the back door.

B!ue looks in mirror. Sees no reflection. Well?:eek:

I'd get that mirror looked at if I were you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

As far as I know, I have never believed in ghosts. I certainly don't remember ever realizing that they don't exist; I'm fairly sure I always knew it.

Look, unlike some sceptics here, I don't necessarily believe that everything can be explained rationally. However, I'm far more inclined to admit to not understanding something than I am to leap to a frankly ludicrous conclusion (i.e. ghosts), just because it is the only explanation I could currently come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

no don't believe in ghosts, they are up there with God in the daft things people believe in

Really? Grand so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wacker wrote: »

Look, unlike some sceptics here, I don't necessarily believe that everything can be explained rationally.
    True. I tend to be irrational and rude when explaining things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I awarded Nanook a Ouija Board at the Beers on Sunday .... hasn't posted on here since! OMG!

just out of interest....has anyone ever been up to the hell fire club??

Went up there yesterday as it so happens :) I live 5 minute drive from it.

Nice place. Sometimes ye get a few undesirables, but in general it's grand.

I climbed on the roof :) Haven't done that in years, lol

On Living TV now they are doing a Ouija Board!

For some reason it's in the dark... are ghosts afraid of the light? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Yeah i do.... especially afte the stories my Brother told me about his mates house in Tallaght. Agh...
    some things cant be explained like.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    On Living TV now they are doing a Ouija Board!

For some reason it's in the dark... are ghosts afraid of the light? :)

ya that most haunted:rolleyes: what a load of boll&cks

oh did you hear that!!.....oh did you see that!!.........no i didn't:rolleyes:

everything happens off camera, i mean who's to say one of the production staff isn't up to something

• Advertisement

there were never be anything like Ghostwatch on tv again. that programme broadcast on Halloween 1992 will go down in history as possibly the scariest thing ever on tv; because everyone thought it was for real. people actually killed themselves because of it :eek: it was later banned, then unbanned and since rebanned again because the stress it causes viewers, i for one would love to see it again, tv gold imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-lH9Iw0CE

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/ghostwatch.html

anyone here remember watching it???

hahahahaha

people are so ****ing stupid :D that is hilarious

'Many phoned the police and warned them that the forces of darkness have been unleashed upon the nation'

the last few minutes of the show was fantastic, michael parkinson in the studio suddenly possessed by the ghost or whatever, camera crew and craig charles going mental. It was so well filmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

marcsignal wrote: »
    Anyone know that programme, I think it's called 'Most Haunted' ? I mean the one with the 'supposed' psychic/medium from Liverpool, who occasionally faints and becomes posessed etc. by the ghost they are investigating during the programme.

Derek Accora [sp]
    marcsignal wrote: »
    It has to be the biggest pile of crap ever broadcast on Television.

I agree. The sad thing is, these people really believe they are "Gifted" and can speak to the dead etc.... I voted No.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there were never be anything like Ghostwatch on tv again. that programme broadcast on Halloween 1992 will go down in history as possibly the scariest thing ever on tv; because everyone thought it was for real. people actually killed themselves because of it :eek: it was later banned, then unbanned and since rebanned again because the stress it causes viewers, i for one would love to see it again, tv gold imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-lH9Iw0CE

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/ghostwatch.html

anyone here remember watching it???

I saw it and bought it big time, scared s...less

• Advertisement
Advertisement