Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has my line for Broadband? How to find out?

Options
  • 28-10-2007 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

How do I find out which company currently has my line for broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I submitted an order with BT. I cancelled it before it was submitted. I tried to submit an order with IBB DSL. They said the lines in use. BT say they don't have it. Eircom told me to ring BT or IBB.

I don't have an active connection so I can't visit any web pages with it.

I want to know who has my line so I can get it cleared for use by IBB. No ones being any help. Hoped there might be some method of finding out, or if someone had the correct number for Eircom beyond 1901 to check such things?

Thanks

I know you can ring a number to see who has your phone for telephone services, I don't suppose there's a similiar one for broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I think if you connect a phone to the socket and dial 18900 (i'll have to confirm this number later - just taking it off the top of my head) it will tell you what provider currently has the connection to the house. I've had to do something similar recently but i think I may start a new thread on that.

And this will tell me broadband provider and not phone provider, yes?

will try it when i get home.

• Advertisement

Well if you are getting the broadband via a phoneline it will be the same. We had the same trouble with our house. Rang eircom to get broadband connected and they told us the line was already in use by a different company and gave me that number to ring. The number told me it was BT who had the line. Been a nightmare dealing with BT since.

I was assured i could have phone from one company and broadband from another. You saying this isn't the case?

Edit: I think that number may actually 8900

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Tinytony wrote: »
    Edit: I think that number may actually 8900

The Number is 19800.

Chef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ciaranfo wrote: »
    I was assured i could have phone from one company and broadband from another. You saying this isn't the case?

You can have a phoneline with one provider and broadband with another so no that isn't the case.

As far as I know 19800 will only tell you who your with for line rental and calls.

Have you tried the link that zabbo posted?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The link zabbo posted is only useful if you are already online with their broadband, any company will be able to tell you that, regardless, it's probably the single most basic thing they can do.

Even if they were completely witless, the username you connect with is a dead giveaway.

The number only tells you who your line rental is with, not your broadband service (there's no convenient number for that, unfortunately).

orla wrote: »
    You can have a phoneline with one provider and broadband with another so no that isn't the case.

As far as I know 19800 will only tell you who your with for line rental and calls.

Have you tried the link that zabbo posted?

The link is useless to me as it will pickup O2 as my ISP because I'm logged in using an O2 data card at the moment. But thanks.
    chef wrote: »
    The Number is 19800.

Chef

Doesn't gimme broadband provider.

Guess it's back onto Eircon to take another 10 mins of being told to ring my ISP!

ciaranfo wrote: »
    The link is useless to me as it will pickup O2 as my ISP because I'm logged in using an O2 data card at the moment. But thanks.

Doesn't gimme broadband provider.

Guess it's back onto Eircon to take another 10 mins of being told to ring my ISP!
    Ask to speak to eircom wholesale; you're entitled to know who's set as your reseller, they're just being lazy (or geniunely haven't a notion).

CuLT wrote: »
    Ask to speak to eircom wholesale; you're entitled to know who's set as your reseller, they're just being lazy (or geniunely haven't a notion).
    Rang 1901 again there and I'm told "there is no such system that can give me this information sir". When I ask can they put me through to Eircom wholesale or another department which has this information I'm told "you're not an eircom customer sir".

Dam fools. Am I ringing the wrong number? He seemed eager to try and sign me up to Eircom but couldn't help me out.

You should be able to contact eircom wholesale on 1800 656 656. Be pleasant about it and you shouldn't have a problem finding out who your broadband provider is, explain that you're in a bind and are considering eircom for broadband services but that you can't find out who it's currently with, and nobody's being helpful.

As long as you have the relevant details (UAN, phone number, etc) it should be ok. Eircom wholesale have always been reasonable and informed from experience and from speaking to others.

CuLT wrote: »
    You should be able to contact eircom wholesale on 1800 656 656. Be pleasant about it and you shouldn't have a problem finding out who your broadband provider is, explain that you're in a bind and are considering eircom for broadband services but that you can't find out who it's currently with, and nobody's being helpful.

As long as you have the relevant details (UAN, phone number, etc) it should be ok. Eircom wholesale have always been reasonable and informed from experience and from speaking to others.
    Got through to someone else who wasn't too sure, but he did say the line was only manned until 6pm and that I was diverted to another dept. Suggested I call back before 6pm tomorrow so I'll try that.

Cheers CuLT.

Eircom wholesale can't tell me. Eircom can't tell me. BT can't tell me. Perlico can't tell me. Magnet can't tell me.

Can anyone tell me how I can find this out? It's doing my head in.

I eventually got my line sorted by getting in touch with ComReg. It was amazing how far more cooperative BT became once I mentioned I had lodged a formal complaint against them.

I know that's probably not help for you though.

I've not tried comreg. I guess it's worth a try !!

Advertisement