Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with ubuntu

• 28-10-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

hi,

Kinda sick of windows so i installed ubuntu onto my sony laptop, so now i have vista and the latest version of ubuntu on my laptop. Vista is still working perfectly, well as perfectly as vista can work. However having some problems with ubuntu. Firstly in restricted drivers it is telling me that my nvidea graphics card is not enabled, when i try to enable it it says : the software source for the package nvidea-glx-new is not enabled. So any ideas how to get my graphics card up on running. Also im trying to install skype, flash, googletalk and i just cant seem to get them installed.
    I installed the Standard personal computer (x86 architecture, PentiumTM, CeleronTM, AthlonTM, SempronTM) version, was this the right one?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rory

These are my laptops specs:
    Product Description - Sony VAIO FZ11L - Core 2 Duo T7100 1.8 GHz - 15.4" TFT

Dimensions (WxDxH) - 35.6 cm x 25.4 cm x 3.5 cm
    Weight - 2.7 kg
    Platform Technology - Intel Centrino Duo
    System Type - Notebook
    Built-in Devices - Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 / 1.8 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    Cache Memory - 2 MB - L2 Cache
    RAM - 2 GB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz ( 2 x 1 GB )
    Card Reader - Yes
    Hard Drive - 120 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
    Optical Storage - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
    Display - 15.4" TFT active matrix 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
    Graphics Controller - NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT
    Audio Output - Sound card
    Telecom - Fax / modem - 56 Kbps
    Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g
    Wireless NIC - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 0.3 Megapixel
    Input Device - Keyboard, touchpad
    Battery - Lithium Ion
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I had similar problems with the ATI card on my laptop. You should be able to get it going with a bit of work. Try the howto here for a start. If that doesn't work, have a look around the Ubuntu forums (which are very helpful). If you try a number of things to get it working then write down the steps you take, if there is a problem and you screw up your configuration at any stage then this will enable you to backtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

thanks will try it when i get home, however having lots of problems with getting everything working. You will prob see a how do i delete ubuntu thread soon enough:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yep, Nvidia cards usually are easy enough to get going. Nearly all the time it's to do with editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf changing the driver name
    Driver "nv"
    Driver "nvidia"
    and installing the driver. Last time I tried Nvidia's install script worked flawlessly. If you get it installed, let us know if the fan constantly stays on the laptop. It is one niggle I find with Ubuntu once I get the driver installed (well on my desktop using a 7600GT).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

ok dont know what i did but got the card working and everything else fixed itself after that. This is great its way faster than vista if i can install the programs i use or find good alternatives i will delete vista and use linux instead:)

Advertisement