Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muppets on the ORR.

• 28-10-2007 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭

Last night I was heading out to a party in Kill from Cherrymount and went onto the ORR as usual but as I was driving along I came to the 6 cross roundabout to be greeted by a roadblock of people and 2 cars lined up. They were organising a drag race up to the roundabout by the top of Ballybeg and then back down the other side. Pity I didn't have my phone with me because the cops would've been called straight away. Also saying that there was about 3 or 4 cars at the lay-by too just waiting to race I'd say.

Bastids!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

should've tried getting some numberplates. or just knockin a few of them down, what could they say? we were drag racing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

With it being dark and raining it was almost impossible to see them standing on the road. If I did end up running over them it wouldn't have been my fault because you literally couldn't see them until you came around the roundabout and they're more or less in your face.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

They were doing this over at Belview Port recently. I drove down and they all shat themselves (my car is like an unmarked garda one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Who won ?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

http://www.waterfordraceway.tk/

see if they could actually handle a corner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Muppets, you should bring your phone with you in future man.

I know, in future I'll be armed with a camera too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kensutz wrote: »
    I know, in future I'll be armed with a camera too.

Abit of use for that 40D of yours :)

Might as well make some use of it ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

edmund_f wrote: »
    http://www.waterfordraceway.tk/

see if they could actually handle a corner

I assume thats legal, those pictures look like its in a prepared area and not on the roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Sully wrote: »
    I assume thats legal, those pictures look like its in a prepared area and not on the roads?

They are its a race track out by dungarvan.....Not the Pike is it?

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

yep, the pike.. can never understand boy race.. mean car modifiers.. if you want to show you are a good fast driver why bother with the cops and the crap roads around here, or anywhere in Ireland. They occasionally do drift series as well, maybe it is just a little 'too safe' for them. Still maybe these idiots coming up across the occasional 40D will take them off the roads :) - should put a thread up with the photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Boy racers annoy me to death. I've no problem with having an interest in cars - I love cars, but tearing the roads asunder is just plain annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

these boy racers must be thick as two short planks, given the rate of road deaths it is only a matter of time these lads will be killed off...it's the latest form of natural selection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Would anybody care if they died in a car crash? I wouldn't.

Certainly not me, I'd probably "forget" my phone at the time if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Would anybody care if they died in a car crash? I wouldn't.

I am sure their parents, aunts, uncles, brothers sisters, dependents etc would definately care. The simple truth of the matter is that they (Boy & Girl Racers) don't care about them or anyone esle for that matter, why else are they putting their and everyone else's life in danger with their antics on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Cabaal wrote: »
    Abit of use for that 40D of yours :)
    kensutz wrote: »
    Might as well make some use of it ;)

I own the 40D boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I couldn't resist...

963312182753738403737813_ORR3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Bards wrote: »
    I am sure their parents, aunts, uncles, brothers sisters, dependents etc would definately care. The simple truth of the matter is that they (Boy & Girl Racers) don't care about them or anyone esle for that matter, why else are they putting their and everyone else's life in danger with their antics on the road.

First off, I agree what they do is wrong & irresponsible.

It is like this tho, If you skate you go to the skatepark, if you play football you go to the pitch, if you play snooker you go to a snooker club, what do you do if you want to drive your car fast and safely ? Mondello isn't a viable option as it hosts only a small handful of Open days through out the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    First off, I agree what they do is wrong & irresponsible.

It is like this tho, If you skate you go to the skatepark, if you play football you go to the pitch, if you play snooker you go to a snooker club, what do you do if you want to drive your car fast and safely ? Mondello isn't a viable option as it hosts only a small handful of Open days through out the year.

i know what your saying but if you misjudge a ramp a tackle or miss cue the white ball it doesnt end up in a three car pile up and marie cassidy having to get out of her warm bed at half three in the morning

Thats it though, you'd imagine it would be a fairly high priority to get them somewhere to get it off the roads. I know some of these lads and they are good honest hard working lads, they are definitely not scumbags in anyway shape or form, they just love their cars and love going fast and they take EVERY possible precaution when setting these up.

I know your going to say you can't prepare for the unexpected, but when they race its over a short distance that they can see whats coming in either direction and they know its only themselves they put at risk. I know its wrong and I'm not condoning it in any way, shape or form but they are making the best from a bad situation.

What these fools did was park their cars right on the opposite side of the roundabout so when you came around the turn you could do nothing but jam on the brakes. As for taking every possible precaution... what are they meant to do as a safety check, block up the whole road so nobody can obstruct their race. I'm a car tax payer so I have every right to drive on that stretch and not be blocked by some gob****es with souped up crap.

Thats not the lads I know so ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paddy@CIRL its a public road! Wise up - there is no excuse for racing and no safe way to race on a public road. None.

Mike.

Mike,

If you read what I'm saying, I am completely against it. I'm saying there needs to be somewhere to get this off the roads, like a few dedicated drag strips around the country that are open all evening. These lads are always going to do it, no matter how much you ignore it and condemn it. Put them somewhere safe and away from public roads and its a guarantee to reduce road deaths within the problematic age group of 17-30 year old male drivers.

let them go Karting in Kiltorcan, it's only up the road in Ballyhale and they can race all they want in a safe environment.

or there's the Wateford Hot Rod Club in Dungarvan (near the Pike)

If everybody got to do what they liked it would be anarchy, and I would not like to live in a society like that

Telling them to go karting is the same as telling a Man Utd supporter to play FIFA and not all can afford the cost of building a hotrod and transporting it...

• Advertisement

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Telling them to go karting is the same as telling a Man Utd supporter to play FIFA and not all can afford the cost of building a hotrod and transporting it...

iof they can afford insurance and Jap imports and custimization of their "Cool Cars" they can well afford the moneyfor Hot Rods, and what is wrong with Karting? 3 inches from the ground doing almost 50mph is one hell of an adrenaline rush

Advertisement