Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car and I need more options

Options
  • 28-10-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

So here's the deal. I'm looking to buy a second hand car and the budget is about 15,000. The main things I'm looking for in it is:

1. It has to be fast.
    2. it has to look the business. (think small and slick looking)
    3. It can't be "a hairdressers" car. I have no idea what qualifies a car under this heading but it seems important.
    4. Don't worry about the year or mileage. I'm just looking for makes and models that I can lash into CBG.ie to have a look at.

I was thinking along the lines of a Toyota Celica so if that gives you any ideas then good stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mitsubishi FTO
    Mazda RX-7

also useCarzone, much better than CBG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

Nice one! I never even heard of that Mitsubishi before but its sweet. Thats exactly the kind of recommendations I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd second the FTO (seeing as I have one) but most models are gonna fall into a lower price bracket than €15,000 unless you're going for last of the line models. (There's little point in paying twice as much for a 99 model as you'd pay for a 95 or 96 with similar mileage unless you're an enthusiast, this model is probably too old to consider for this kinda money) The ones to go for are the 2.0 MIVEC models (GPX or GPvR)

You could also look at:

Audi TT
    pierseTTSIL644.jpg

Nissan 200sx S14
    697258_20070525090540_4.jpg

Volvo C70
    michaelsidneyC70Blu369.jpg

Alfa GT
    738293_20070708060742_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Colm, I don't think you'll buy an Audi TT or Alfa GT on the OP's budget of €15k though.

I would through the Honda Integra Type R into the ring too.

Another one would be the 1990 - 1999 Toyota MR2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

bazz26 wrote: »

definatly :D

56436521a5830360178l.jpg

56436521a5830360432l.jpg

i haven't stopped driving or smiling since i got mine, very very enjoyable cars to drive

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Colm, I don't think you'll buy an Audi TT or Alfa GT on the OP's budget of €15k though.

Another one would be the 1990 - 1999 Toyota MR2.

There's a good fiew 99 TT's on Carzone with ASKING prices of between 15250 and 16950. there's also a 00 high mileage green one
    for 13500
    There's also an 04 Alfa GT 2.0 petrol asking €20.500, some bargaining could be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Check out the Toyota Curren if you like the Celica.
    Also you might like the Toyota/Lexus Soarer.
    Have you heard of the Mitsubishi GTO?
    The Nissan 300ZX is still a lovely looking car too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The Curren is based on the 6th gen Celica, and the OP was probably looking at the 7th Gen Celica, which is a different ball game. Curren is a bit chronic looking too.
    Best bet is integra type R or Celica T Sport. Go for the UK model in either of them. (Like dafford x's ITR, the UK ones are nicer and generally cleaner).

3. It can't be "a hairdressers" car. I have no idea what qualifies a car under this heading but it seems important.
    A hairdressers car is one that is all show, and no go. A Hyundai coupe for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

E46 328Ci? Like this one perhaps?(pity about the non BMW stereo though, that would put me off it).

Or this Saloon version, €1500 under your budget too.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    E46 328Ci? Like this one perhaps?(pity about the non BMW stereo though, that would put me off it).
    What's the story with "Directors car"? all over the ad, there's 3 owners on it.
    Unless Stephen Spielberg owned it, this information is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Yeah, and its an Auto gearbox too -I doubt it OP would want an Auto.

But the saloon was a manual, and this E36 Coupé isdefinately a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ronoc wrote: »
    A hairdressers car is one that is all show, and no go. A Hyundai coupe for example.
    My interpretation of a hairdresser's car is one that is generally bought for show rather than to be driven hard. Most coupés fall into this category, TBH.

in this country anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

Thanks a million for all the suggestions. Just got off the phone with the bank (went with teso's finance btw. 6.9%, Not bad) and I have the loan. Now I can really start looking around. Happy days :D

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you're looking to spend €15k on a car, and you liked the FTO, then get the Mistubishi FTO GPvR MIVEC. Basically, it looks the exact same as the normal FTO, but it's hella fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

If it was me, i'd get an S3 ...

TorqueOmata2347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ya'd never get an s3 with 15k though????

if the full 15k is goin on the car you could look at dc5 integra tyoe r's aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=809061karlgoodwin300Pea936.jpg
    IMO for a fast car thats slick it would have to be a 300zx...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

colm_mcm wrote: »

Alfa GT
    738293_20070708060742_1.jpg

I would snap that car up if it were avail for €15K.

I have seen some S60's recently for 17 or so, cash would presumably produce them for 15

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

draffodx wrote: »
    ya'd never get an s3 with 15k though????

if the full 15k is goin on the car you could look at dc5 integra tyoe r's aswell

You'd get a nice one over for less then 15k from UK!

Am I the only one who doesn't like the way the DC5 looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jus

Advertisement