Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Trail Maps

Options
  • 28-10-2007 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Are there any bike trail maps of the Dublin, Kildare or Wicklow region which I can buy or download from the internet?

Rang a few places and tried online with no luck... any ideas or suggestions?

MJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What type of cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'd be interested to find out too, anything from light xc trails to downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjjoconnor

Mountain biking, cross country kind of stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.mtbireland.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=13&Itemid=28

The only one I went on was the 3 Rock easy route. Its a pretty easy route with nearly all the climbing on road except the last short section, then a fireroad back down with options to go off into trails in the woods if you feel like something more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

or also any available for North County Dublin/Louth area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

bcmf wrote: »
    or also any available for North County Dublin/Louth area?

if yout looking for a nice easy cross country cycle, try the Ramparts way from Navan to Slane along the river boyne,
    you can park your car in the carpark just off the Kentstown road, about 300Mtrs back from the bridge in the town.

Thanks Banger.sounds like a nice spin.Will have a look at it during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mjjoconnor

Thanks lads... I think I will start to map any good trails I come across and publish on the web somewhere...

We have plenty of good mountains and its a pity we don't have official trail maps.

MJ

Good idea.Maybe make it as a topic on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

In general, you won't find any because off road MTB is technically illegal anywhere in Ireland. People who publish outdoor magazines and guides etc are therefore understandably reluctant to document something that might get them into trouble (its happened before with walking guides identifying disputed right of ways). There are '00s of kms of outstanding trails right across South Dublin/Wicklow - but you'll need to go out with a club or experienced rider to find them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

if yout looking for a nice easy cross country cycle, try the Ramparts way from Navan to Slane along the river boyne,
    you can park your car in the carpark just off the Kentstown road, about 300Mtrs back from the bridge in the town.

Hi bitemybanger, I travelled some of this route recently from Navan just as far as some ruins about 5km outside the town. There was a lovely path between the river and the canal. I know the canal is only there for sections of the Boyne. Does this route continue all the way to Slane/Drogheda? What is the surface like - could it be done with a touring bike?

On my OS Discovery map, the marked route appears and disappears.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

The route in navan is the ramparts. I've been told it keeps going but gets very rough not sure if i'd try it on a bike. Is a lovely cycle on a fine day tho, i've done it before up to where the road meets it.
    I'll ask around about it and try to find out how far it does go and if you can take a bike all the way to slane or drogheda.

Advertisement