Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Getting Car Serviced

Options
  • 28-10-2007 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have a 2000 Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia and I want to get it serviced. I know bugger all about the mechanics and workings of cars a have this car a little over 1yr. It's driving well, except in that time the central locking has stopped working. It works some times. I've also had to change lamp bulbs about 2 - 3 times over the last year, and also needed the carborator replaced in may. Last december I brough the car in to my local Ford main dealer for a full service which cost me €270 in total. The carborator jobbie in may cost me €130.

Right now I know I need to put 4 new tyres on the car, as we're getting in to winter driving conditions and my thread depth is just on the legal limit (if not worse in spots). Also in wet driving conditions the fan belt (I believe it is) is making a really loud squeal as are my breaks on occasion. Also when I drive I feel like the rear axel on the car is loose and the suspension feels funny. The suspension squeaks also, but it does take the impact out of bumpy roads. Also when I had my car fully serviced last december I asked them to take a look at the timing belt and see if it needs changing. I did not have a service history when I bought the car, but it was in perfect nick when I first got it (new tyres, suspension, very recent NCT, etc). They told me in the ford centre that they could not see the stamp on the belt that would suggest when it was changed. There is 83k on my car, and I don't have any record of it ever being changed, but I can only assume it has been changed. Having said that I thought it was poor form of the ford centre to tell me that they are clueless also, so for that reason alone I won't be giving them any further business.

All in all I consider that quite a bit of work that needs to be done on my car. In your opinion could all the above be taken care of for under a grand. I have a few hundred quid to throw at the job, but if it started to go well above that then I would consider getting rid of the car, even though and I assure you, it's the last thing I want to do. I do like this car.

Anyone any experience with servicing ford focus cars. Based on the above jobs what would you think needs to be done, and what would you expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

You'll be doing well to get a carburettor changed on a Focus, because it doesn't have one. :D All petrol cars made since 1991 have fuel injection, because the law was changed to require catalytic converters, which don't work with carbs. I think someone has ripped you off.

Your car doesn't have a fan belt (or axles) either. The fan is driven by an electric motor. The squeal is your auxiliary drive belt, which turns your alternator and aircon (if fitted).

Brakes squeal sometimes when they're wet. If they're squealing persistently even when dry, the pads need to be taken out, their backs greased and reinserted. It's a common issue when the mechanic is in a rush.

Everything you mention is routine wear and tear. The knocking and funny feeling you mention is your suspension bushes wearing out. You'll have to change these every 40k miles. You'll get 20k out of a set of tyres on the front wheels, and 30k+ on the back. The timing belt on the 1.6 is supposed to last 110k, but supposed to be checked at every service and replaced early if it's showing signs of premature wear.

Labour rates vary, with dealers outside Dublin being a good bit cheaper. I used to take my car to my local dealer because they were cheaper than most of the independents. A timing belt change on a Focus cost me €280, suspension work could be anything up to €200, depending on what they find wrong. You'll put 4 brand name tyres on the car for < €300.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the ford dealer (unless it was them that ripped you off with the carburettor) for not being psychic about the state of your timing belt. Especially when you don't have a complete service history. It's actually unlikely that it's been changed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Hey thanks very much for your reply. I left the car in to get the job done first thing this morning.

As regards the "carburettor" replacement in a previous trip to the garage with my Focus, I'm sure I've gotten the name of the part wrong (was sure it began with 'C' though). What was happening at the time....

All of a sudden I was driving along in 4th gear doing about 40mph, then all of a sudden the engine started to really shudder like I was labouring it. So I changed down gear and slowed a bit and it still persisted. So I though feck, and had to pull the car over and put on my hazards. Then a really bad smell could be had all around the car. The part that is responsible for igniting the fuel, was the problem if I recall.

Pity I hadn't noticed this post before this morning, because I made a list of things I wanted them to look at.
    1. Seat belt socket broke the other day (easy fix I'm sure)
    2. Check Timing Belt (was told on the spot that the belt would be fine up to 100k)
    3. Check the fan belt (again my lack of knowledge has made me look stupid yet again, you would be amazed how many apparently knowledgable people I've met that have told me it's my "fan belt" that's noisy)
    4. Central Locking
    5. New Tyres
    6. Noisy Shocks

I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a "beyond normal service" quote. If I could get all the above sorted for approx €800, I would be happy enough.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Was it your coil pack that failed? Exactly the same thing happened my Focus at 110k, with exactly the same cause. €130 is a pretty good price for the repair.

The seat belt is actually a tricky one. The "socket" is attached to the pre-tensioner, which is what pulls you into the seat in a crash. If you can replace one without the other it'll be cheap. If not it could be pricey.

Ford dealers check the belts (timing & auxiliary) as part of every service anyway, so you shouldn't be charged extra for it. The timing belt is usually good for 110K, but may wear out sooner if the engine has had a hard life.

The central locking could be anything, but it's usually cheap enough to fix.

Don't use your dealer for tyres, as they'll be a lot more expensive for no reason. Use an independent tyre centre if you can. You should be able to change all 4 with brand name tyres for €240.

Don't be too quick to replace shocks. Most knocking noises are worn suspension bushes (the rubber bits that stop the metal pieces of the suspension banging against each other), which are way cheaper to replace. Get the dealer to diagnose the issue during the service and get a quote for a repair, and hit the phone book.

Advertisement