Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the United Kingdom ???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd wager that defence contracts are a lucrative part of Scotland's economy. I've always been impressed by the scots engineering prowess. I dare say they would be fine outside the UK but England may cease buying scottish goods, opting to build their friggates(sp?) in England.

One thing many scots forget-the EU may not admit them. They would not have automatic right to entry if they seceed from a member state. They would have to apply and if they did, they may not be treated as other 'poor' small nations have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scotland could follow Ireland, which does grand with Sopwith Camels. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think our neighbours to the South would be amused to see a day when Scots can't blame everything wrong in the country on the f*@king English ;) I'd look forward too it to.

Don't hold your breath! Took about 80 years here to stop blaming everything on the English (and start blaming it on immigrants instead...)

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ninja900 wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath! Took about 80 years here to stop blaming everything on the English (and start blaming it on immigrants instead...)

it's stopped:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

it's stopped:eek:
    Did you not notice? It's all the nigerians fault now. It's easier to spot them see!

It's actuallly a good point. We're only in the last few years starting to blame our own politicians for our problems. We're still not very good at it of course as evidenced by our re-electing FF again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If Scotland left the UK 'then the UK would cease to exist' ergo, the UK would no longer be a major player on the World stage = the non existant UK would no longer be one of the G8 Countries ....................

Thats some shake-up to take-in (locally) & on the World stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

ArthurF wrote: »
    If Scotland left the UK 'then the UK would cease to exist' ergo, the UK would no longer be a major player on the World stage = the non existant UK would no longer be one of the G8 Countries ....................

Thats some shake-up to take-in (locally) & on the World stage!

Scotland and Wales are only small fry compared to England in the UK. There would be a massive shake up in Britain if the UK broke up, but England would just replace the UK on the world stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That sounds too easy, surely the newly formed "EngWaleNI Country" would have to be recognised (new name) with new boundaries & borders (new land mass) and Scotland would also have to apply to join the Europen Union?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

That sounds too easy, surely the newly formed "EngWaleNI Country" would have to be recognised (new name) with new boundaries & borders (new land mass) and Scotland would also have to apply to join the Europen Union?

Sure, there would be a lot of change in regard to the EU. Especially when who pays what comes into play. The point I was trying to make though was that there'll be no major shift in power on a world stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I think its just about realignment. Its not impossible. Yes it would mean change, but whats wrong with that? I dont think 'well its been that way for a while now' is a good enough argument FOR the union. Other countries across Europe have gone through much greater changes. The EU are toying with the idea of Turkey joining so why not Scotland?

Hmm Deep Fried Turkey :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

So my post has produced 4 pages of replies !!!! And to think I only put it up for a bit of a windup, stirred a wee hornets nest I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And Unionists would have one hell of a long think of what they want if Scotland gets independence as they so much cherish the Scots link and heritage for so long.

Talk about complexities when the UK breaks up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Scaremongering TBH the EU is not going to get involved in the break up of the UK by removing Scotland from the EU if they leave the UK.

Scotland would continue on in the EU as long as they wanted to except they would have have representatives at the EU for themselves.

If you are going to try that malarkey sure the England/Wales/NI would be a different Country maybe they would have to apply for membership and maybe the EU would jump at the chance to rid themselves of the euro sceptics in England.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

McArmalite wrote: »
    So my post has produced 4 pages of replies !!!! And to think I only put it up for a bit of a windup, stirred a wee hornets nest I have.
    Next time you're thinking about posting - whether it's a new thread or a reply - for "a bit of a windup", don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement