Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner

Options
  • 28-10-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

I took up running a couple of months ago - started doing a 5k programme and really liked it so I think I'm hooked now :)

Anyway I'm still a *terrible* runner and *very* slow but I thought I'd get around to posting a log, as I'm losing my post-it notes with details of my runs.

Goals: To run for further and longer (obvious I know!) hopefully do a 10k race over the next two or three months and keep building, all going well. I'm not sure if I would be good enough to do the marathon in 2008, but we'll see.

I run in the gym in the evening during the week, and outside at the weekends. I know I'm a lightweight for using the treadmill ;) I do some weights in the gym when I'm there so it's handy as well.

This week:
    Monday 5.2k & Weights
    Tuesday 3.5k (short run, and a little faster than normal) & Weights
    Wednesday Off
    Thursday 5k & Weights
    Friday Off
    Saturday 2.5k (This was outside and involved a lot of incline parts - also was out on Friday night, so I kept it short deliberately as I wasn't feeling too hot after relatively little sleep, just wanted to keep things moving)
    Sunday 5.2K & Weights

Total Distance: 21.4k

Weights typically involve a selection of: Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell Flyes, Millitary Press, Lateral Raises, Lat Pull Down, Leg Press, Leg Curl, Leg Extension, some body-weight squats

Next week involves a bit more of a rest week as I have a few things on, so will probably involve sessions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Welcome, its always nice to see another runner journal here. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks Odysseus - I wouldn't call myself a runner yet, but at least i'm trying :)

Today was a 3 mile run, I'm trying to build up the distance but I was wrecked this evening and had to really push to even do that. I guess I should be more patient and it will come, once I keep putting in the effort.

Weights-wise:

Dumbbell Bench Press (8KG DBs) 3X8
    Lat Pull Down 28KG 3X8
    Lateral Raises (4KG DBs) (3X8)
    Dynamic Lunges with 4KG DBs 3X8
    Dumbell Flyes (4KG DBs) 3X8

Looking forward to tomorrow already :)

4.5k run today - tried to up the pace a wee bit.

Weights: Leg press, Leg Curl, Lex Extension, Millitary Press, Barbell Bench Press

Saturday 3.5k run

This evening - 3.5 mile run

Bench Press - 13.5 kg
    Lateral raises - 4 kg
    Dynamic lunges - 4kg
    Dumbbell flyes - 4 kg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Maybe include the times for your runs too. When you look back in a few months you can see the progress you are making.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that BossArky - I guess my main priority at the moment is increasing the distance (I'm *very* slow :( ) but it would be no harm to include them as a reference for comparison as you suggested. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Don't worry what the times are for the moment, but just be aware that if you ever do start comparisons you will have something to look back on.

Nice to run for a few months, then look back and know how much you have imrpoved by. It also will give you a mental boost to put in a tad more effort for beating that personal best in the last few hundred metres ;)

This evening: 3.5km (22 mins 10 secs) Tuesday is my short run night :D

(3 sets of 8 reps)
    Bench Press - 16kg
    Lat Pull Down - 28kg (wide grip and close grip)
    Tricep Kickbacks 5kg
    Leg Press - 180kg
    Leg Curl - 70 kg
    Leg Extension - 60 KG

Glad to see you taking BossArrky's advice. You absolutely right about the distance get that in and the speed will come. I try not to get caught up in my timing, however, I time every run, it highlighs when I have a good day as well as a bad one. Best of luck with it.

Really unsuccessful session tonight :( After standing on a packed and broken down train for over an hour I didn't feel great, but headed to the gym anyway.

Had a bad stitch for the first 1k and it didn't abate and my right foot was sore so I decided to leave the running for tonight and did about 20 mins of HIIT on the step machine (which had me feeling sick from the third interval onwards). Still felt sick during the weights so went home after a not very impressive 45 mins :( Oh well, one of those days I suppose.

3 sets of 8ish
    Bench Press 18.5Kg
    Millitary Press 5kg
    Leg press 175KG

• Advertisement

Great session today which made up for Thursday a bit :)

4 mile run (42:20 mins - yes yes I know I'm a tortoise! This is the longest I have run yet though - yay :))

I have started doing the Hal Higdon Novie Supreme Training Plan http://www.halhigdon.com/beginrunner/novicesupreme.htm, and am on week 4 of it at the moment. I will stick with it over the next few weeks and see how it goes :)

Bench Press - 18.5 kg X8 X5 X5
    Dumbbell Flyes 5kg - X8 X8 X8
    2 Arm Tricep Extension 5kg - X10 X9 X9
    Dynamic Lunges 5KG DBs - X8 X8 X8
    Lat Pull Down Wide grip 28KG X8 X8 X8
    Lat Pull Down Close grip 28lbs X8 X8
    Leg Press 175lbs X8 X8 X8

Leg Press 175KG X8 X8 X8

:eek:

Is that 175kg or lbs? 175kg is heavy!

woops it must be lbs lol! i just assumed all the machines would be metric - me an my european-ness. Thanks for pointing that out BossArky :o

Today's run: 5K (32:50 mins)

Some weights thrown in at the end: Millitary Press (5KG), some warm-up benching, Leg Curl and Extension, and some Tricep extensions. Had some DOMS in my legs after Sunday so didn't want to push things.

Tuesday is my short run day, so 2 miles / 3.2km (20 mins)

Some weights as well, as usual, though my legs still felt the DOMS when doing lunges :(

3 mile run - 32 mins

Sunday morning, 3 mile run (32 mins 35 secs)

Bench Press 18.5kg X8 X8 X6
    Dumbbell Flyes 6kg X7 X7 X7
    Tricep Kickbacks 6KG X8 X8 X&7
    Millitary Press 6KG X6 X6 X6
    Lat Pull Down 28KG X8 X8 X8
    Alternating between Static Lunges (Bodyweight) and Lateral raises 4KG X8 X8 X8
    Leg press 180lbs X8 X8 X10 X10

Today's run 2 miles (19:50 mins)
    The good news is I got shiny new asics g-2120s!
    The bad news is my left ankle has been sore since monday - I'm hoping it'll be better in a few days as running on it today was really quite painful, it's even sore when i walk.

Its a bit late now to be suggesting it as you have your new trainers, but have you had a gait analysis done to check you are running in the right trainers? If not it may be something to consider for the next time. Sorry to hear about the injury, best to rest it until its better, even though I find it hard to do that myself. A week or two off is better than a month or two.

yes thanks for the advice odysseus - i had the gait thing done and apparantly i overpronate! (unsurprising given that i have very low arches i guess). It feels a little better so might test things with a short run at the weekend.

• Advertisement

First run in nearly a week due to sore ankle :(
    3 miles - 30:30 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Energizer-Bunny

Great to see you up and running again..hope ankle feeling better.

Another one of those annoying days, when I'm plagued by stitches for no reason and my ankle didn't feel great.
    3.5km - 24 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭satori

From looking over your recent post there are some obvious and inspiring advances made in the time to run your preset distance, reflecting not only an dynamic growth in fitness but a testament to your intention and manifested will in reaching your goal.

You go girl!

Thanks for the comments guys :)
    Today's run was 4.5Km right into very strong wind nearly the whole way round (the joys of coastal living!) but my sister was asleep this morning in the room where my watch is so i couldn't time it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

On the ankle thing, you should probably get it looked at by a physio if it returns. These things don't usually go away and a niggle could soon turn into an injury and then there won't be any running at all.

Thanks Tingle - touch wood, things were fine on today's run, so maybe I just rushed it a little the first time. I picked up a great ankle support bandage, which I have been wearing whilst running the last couple of times just in case.

This evening:
    4.5 miles / 7.2Km run in 46:50 mins

Short run this evening, planned at 3.2km but had to stop after 2.5kmas my feet were in bits with blisters:( still at least my time was a bit better at 15 mins for 2.5km

• Advertisement

3 miles this evening - 29:50 secs :)

Advertisement