Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Eclectic honey, you are flying it - put your name down for a race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Just a wee slow 2.5k run today - had planned for 4k but my stupid stitch wasn't easing at all :( Then hit the weights pretty hard to compensate (split squats - ouch)

Just a ten minute-ish fastish run yesterday (too many crowds of people around sandycove for the swimming made it difficult to run anywhere)

This morning back to a nice 6.2k run (lovely day for it), took it easy after eating way too much yesterday at around 40 mins.

5.25k 32:40 mins today

5k run 29:45

• Advertisement

6.4k run 42.40 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Eclectic honey, on the ball keeping up the good work over Christmas.

How about starting the New Year with a 5k race? 5k race in the Phoenix Park at 1.00 on Tuesday, all standards, would be good to see how you fare, give you a time to set some targets for the year. Go for it, no better way to start the New Year than running a race when all your friends have a hangover! Race organised by Liffey Valley Athletics Club, it's the Tom Brennan memorial 5k, usually give a good t-shirt/sweat-shirt on registration.

Thanks for the heads up Racing Flat, I did think about it, but I don't really want to do a race for another month or two yet. I know it's not a big thing, and it's just like another run, but still. A 5k would be what I would be aiming for distance wise though.

6.5k run in 43 mins

Finally seeing some *little* improvements in my strength training too. Like I managed to bench 21k today.

6k run 39 mins

• Advertisement

3.5k in 23 mins but hit the weights hard as tomorrow is my rest day.

3 miles (4.8k) 28 mins. was on the treadmill so to keep things interesting a upped the pace every 500 ms or so starting from my easy running pace of 9kmph. by the time i got to 12kmph i was nearly sick! i've such a long way to go yet!

I should probably start logging my weights (at least on days when I have time to write them up) in more detail for reference / progress purposes:
    Bench press 21kg X 9 X 7 X 6
    Superset of military press 4kg DBs (3X10) and Split Squats 4kg DBs (3X5)
    Lat Pull Down (31.5kg) X8 X7 X7
    Leg Raises at the dipping station X10 X10 X10
    Leg press 190lbs X9 X9 X9

Edit: mean to pick up milled flax while shopping today but forgot. Grrr. At least i've started on the omega 3 properly again!

10k run 1hour 7 mins - too tired to do any weights :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hiya just posted in the previous thread that all i do for my training(connemara marathon hopefully) is run run run but after readin your log now im thinking maybe i should be doing some weights hhmmm now ya have me thinking .really good reading your log keep it up

Thanks :) I mainly do weights because I am trying not to lose loads of muscle which tends to happen when you run. It's not my priority, in that I always do my running first, but I do try and do 20-30 mins weights after my shorter runs.

4k recovery run today in 26 mins. was wrecked today :( followed by weights

5k run in 33 mins tonight. don't know why i am so tired this week, i just feel really fatigued, compared to last week when my 5k runs felt so easy i did an extra mile :( i have felt like i might have a cold coming on for the last week (but it has failed to materialise) so im hoping its just that im a bit under the weather.

Weights
    DB Bench 6kg DBs X25 warm up
    Lunges - 4kg dumbbells 3 X 8
    lat raises - 4kg DBs 3 X 8 9last couple on the last set weren't grest formwise)
    Lat pulldown - 3 x 8 (32kg)
    Tricep Kickbacks 3 X10 (6kg DBs)
    Miliatry press 6kg DBs X8 X7 X6 - really concentrated on form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 stick_figure

are you giving yourself rest days? And if you do feel under the weather I'd recommend taking it easy until you feel better. There are so many bugs and flu strains around that the last thing you need to do is lower your immune system through exercise when you already feel crappy.

yes - friday and sunday are my rest days, but i do try and run 5 days a week now. i'm afraid to take a few days off in case i go back to where i was but i might try taking two days off together for once and see if it helps. i'm stressed about my masters application at the moment as well which probably isn't helping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 stick_figure

You'll be grand taking a couple of days, and it'll probably boost your performance when you start back again. You won't lose fitness over the course of 2 or 3 days. Hell, I didn't run for about 3 weeks and then went out and did my longest run ever, which dare I say, actually felt easy. Don't stress, and good luck with the applications :)

• Advertisement

I wish I'd posted that ages ago - I felt much better this evening: 6k run in 40 mins and i felt i could have gone on if i had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

hi eclectic honey, I'm still following your thread and am very impressed.

Are you taking glucosamine? It is supposed to be very good for repairing muscle wear and damage. I was advised to take it by a physio and I'm taking one with chonroditn (sp). Apparently chonroditn helps the body to absorb the glucosamine. It is an expensive supplement but could be very beneficial if you are taking up running.

Maybe others will comment on how effective they find glucosamine.

Thanks How Strange :) My mother takes those and I have often thought of it (I know they are expensive but boots do them on a 3 for 2 she informs me!0 but they look massive and i have problems swallowing large tablets. maybe i could find smaller ones, as i wouldn't mind having to take more than one a day. I might check them out again. At the moment I just take a B complex, Fish oils and Evening primrose oils. I can't take a multi-vit as i can't take any vitamin a supplements for a while.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Maybe others will comment on how effective they find glucosamine.

I started taking it on and off recently. Maybe it was a placebo effect, or maybe it did actually help me recover a bit quicker. Days after a heavy weights session, or hard run / swim I found a bit easier & less sore if I had taken some the night before.

You can get it in Holland and Barrett in tablet format. Everything half price in the UK at the moment, not sure about Ireland.

Back in August after the London triathlon I was in bits for 3 or 4 days. It would have been handy then to aid my immune system and prevent the cold I picked up when defences were low.

thanks fo rthe Boss Arky, had a look in H&B but got all confised because there were a few different types and wasn't sure which one was best so will have to do a bit more research!

Today's workout

7k run - 47 mins. Sometimes it does get to me how slow i am, but then i think, why should it really? i mean it's not like i'm ever going to win anything anyway lol. I'm enjoying things so much that speed is really not a priority until i have at least six-nine months running behind me i think. I currently have nearlyfour months, so I guess I might evaluate things in another couple of months and see where I am at.

Weights - not very successful. while i'm much less tired running, i seem unable to lift anything even vaguely heavy!
    Lat Pull down 35kg X6 X6 X5
    Lunges 6kg DBs X9 X9 X9
    Skullcrushers 8.5kg barbell X7 X5 X4
    Leg raises (dip station) X20 (a PR!) X 12 X 12
    bench Press 21.5kg X9 X5 X5 (not a good day :()
    Military press 6kg DBs X6 X5 X5
    DB Flyes (6kg DBs) X7 X7 X7

7K run in 44 mins

Leg raises

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

7k run - 47 mins. Sometimes it does get to me how slow i am, but then i think, why should it really? i mean it's not like i'm ever going to win anything anyway lol. I'm enjoying things so much that speed is really not a priority until i have at least six-nine months running behind me i think. I currently have nearlyfour months, so I guess I might evaluate things in another couple of months and see where I am at.

i know its not for everyone but i only think about times on race days as i can get dissapointed if i ran much slower than my best in training i tend just to focus on distance and as they say "getting the miles in to the legs", often for 5 mile i will go 1 easy pick it up nearly to my fastest for 3 and slow down again for the last one, either way your doing great hope ya didnt mind me posting that

thanks for that sungod, always good to get other perspectives!

today: 5k run 28:40 mins

Mil Press 5kg DBs X8 X8 X8
    Skullcrushers 8.5 kg barbell X8 X7 X6
    Bench press DB (10kg) X 6 X5 (8kg DBs) X 10 X10
    Lunges 5kg DBs X9 X8 X8
    Db Flyes 5kg DBs X8 X8 X8

6k run 39 mins

Leg raises X25 (ftw!) X15 X15
    Lat raises 4kg DBs X8 X7 X7
    Leg press 190 lbs X9 X9 X9

No more weights as my joints / muscles have been so sore the past day or two, it even hurts to walk!

• Advertisement

5k 29 mins

Advertisement