Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

19-Jan Sat 7k Time 46 45
    21-Jan Mon 8k Time 51 30
    22-Jan Tue 5.2k Time 30 00

Weights this eve:
    DB Bench Press 8kg DBs X9 X8 X6 X5
    DB Flyes (6KG DBs) X8 X8 X8
    Mil Press (5kg DBs) X8 X8 X8
    Tricep Kickbacks 6kg X9 X9 X9 each arm
    Skullcrushers 8.5kg Barbell X8 X8 X7

I have had to drop my weights by around 10% (my bench seems to be going backwards at a ridiculous rate!) - which i'm gutted about but unfortunately i'm suffering badly from fatigue / joint pain from meds i'm on at the moment, so I had to just make a call. I figure it's better to be able to do light weights than none at all! Fingers crossed I don't have to stop running. saturday I was wiped (was supposed to be a 10k run :().

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seanom78

Ecletic - Its v impressive how youve been so determined. I started training for the 2008 Cork marathon last week. I used to play lots of sports (soccer/GAA) but i stopped about 4 years ago.Im 29 now. I was never a runner as I thought i wouldnt have the deternination.

did a few 3 milers last week, didnt even look at my times. did a 5 miler at the weekend, finished in 49 mins 30 secs and I was wrecked after it. I also had to take 3 walking breaks during it. Its a bit depressing that i couldnt run the whole lot but my calves were burning and my feet were sore so i had to stop.

I am down to do the Connemara Half marathon in 10 weeks so Im gonna have to focus hard now.

if you dont mind, im gonna post my times up here too? Id like to hear any feedback which might help me to improve :)

Im using hal hadigons marathon novice1 training schedule..

Thanks Sean! Unfortunately I'm not very determined at the moment as my calf is in bits (it hurts to walk even) I'm off to the physio tomorrow evening, so fingers crossed. It *sucks* not being able to run :(

Good luck with the connemara training - i'd love to do it, maybe next year. Looking forward to reading your log, especially as you're using hal higdon like myself.

3 Mile run last night, found it much harder than usual. Calves were burning after about 0.5 miles, they loosened up a bit but it was v tough overall.Not sure why.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time:28:20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

seanom78 wrote: »
    3 Mile run last night, found it much harder than usual. Calves were burning after about 0.5 miles, they loosened up a bit but it was v tough overall.Not sure why.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time:28:20
    seanom78, I get that burning sensation in the back of my calves too from time to time. For me it helps if I stop and do the stretch where you sit back, front leg straight with toe pointed upwards and back leg bent. I can't remember the name of the stretch. Anyway, that helps me a bit.

eclectichoney, I hope you'll be back on the road again soon. You were doing so well. :)

I ran the Raheny 5mile on Sunday in 49:21 I was thrilled about. I took it easy going around trying to think what my marathon pace would be and really pushed myself for the last 200m. I wouldve been happy with a time of 50 - 55mins but when I saw the clock was at 48mins I started to sprint as I then wanted to finish in under 50.

I'm doing a half marathon at Easter so that was my last opportunity in a race setting to see what my time would be. So now I know if I finish under that time I will be delighted. Looking at 2hrs 20mins finish time at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advise/ exercise for the claf trouble, ill try that next time.
    any else have this burning calves problem? how did u deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

seaom78, why not start a new log of your own to keep track of your progress?

The burning sensation in your calves is most likely due to the fact that you only started running recently, persistance and some good stretching should sort that out :)

temporary hiatus :(

the physio thinks I've a stress fracture in my left leg so no running for six weeks :(

grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

the physio thinks I've a stress fracture in my left leg so no running for six weeks :(

grrrr

Downer!
    Have you thought of aqua jogging to keep up the running in the meantime?

I know. I'm gutted tbh. I can't swim so don't hold out much hope for the aqua jogging, though maybe you don't need to be able to swim??? Even walking is painful atm though so I am not sure how it would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

That's nasty, sorry to hear that. Where'd you get the fracture? Prob should get it checked out by doctor too if that's the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Really sorry to hear about the injury, would like to say that this thread has been a real inspiration to me, and I love the title too :) Hope you get well soon.

Thanks for the well wishes guys :D It's cheered me up no end. Here's to six weeks of bench pressing and dumbbell rows, eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

grrrr

That is just a bummer, sorry to here that. As you are very dedicated to running, I hope now being able to run doesn't drive you mad. Hopefully it was go qucikly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi eclectichoney really sorry to hear about your injury must be hard especially as you were so dedicated, after a few weeks off you'll be recharged and ready to really get stuck into it. just wondering what training can you do ? i imagine weights but can you still stretch or have you looked into the aqua jogging that was mentioned earlier ? . hope you make a quick recovery

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

6 weeks must have passed by now? Are you able to run again?

I'm still getting pain in my leg on and off so just sticking to the cycling and weights for a couple of months. The annoying thing is, i won't feel any pain at the physio but then I'll just be sitting on the sofa and it'll be the usual dull ache. frustrating to say the least. Thanks for the enquiry :) Don't worry, if i ever get back running I'll be reigniting the log as soon as I can! :)

So I figured I'll keep tracking my strength training here even though it doesn't really fit with the title fo my log, but howandever, I need to keep track, as I know I've been improving the past couple of months but don't have a record :(

I can only remember the last 3 sessions

7/5/08

Lunges 11kg X16 (alt legs i.e. 8 each leg); 13.5kg X16 X16
    Goblet squats 6kg dumbbell X10 X10 X10
    Leg press 190lbs X8 X8 X8
    Assisted pull ups (30kg counterweight) X8 X7 X7 X6
    hanging leg raises 3 sets
    (think i did something else - can't remember!)

25 mins on the bike - high intensity

8/5/08

DB bench press
    10kg DBs (i.e. 20kg in total) X14;
    12kg DBs X9;
    12kg DBs X5;
    12kg DBs X4;
    10kg DBs X10

Tricep Kickbacks 6kg DBs X9 X9 X8 (each arm)
    Lateral Raises 4kg X8 X7 X7
    Assisted Pulls ups (counterweight 25kg) X5 X5 X4 X4

Straight-leg deadlifts 18.5KG X8 X8 X7 (just getting into these)

Hanging leg raises 3 sets

25 mins on the bike - high intensity

10/5/08

Front Squats 11kg X10; 13.5kg X9; 13.5kg X9 (I'm terrible at squats :o)

Lunges 13.5kg barbell X16 (alternating legs - so 8 with each leg)

Assisted pull ups (counterweight 30kg) X9

Lunges 13.5kg X16

Assisted pull-ups (30kg) X8

Lunges 13.5kg X16

Hanging leg raises X25

Assisted pull-ups (30kg) X6

Hanging leg raises X18

Assisted pull-ups (30kg) X6

Hanging leg raises X14

Leg Press 200lbs X8 X8 X8

Assisted pull-ups (30kg) X5

Barbell row 16kg X9 X9 X9

20 mins or so on the bike - high intensity

12/5/08

Barbell bench press 23.5kg X10 X8 X8 X8

French press 8.5kg X8 X8 X8

DB Flyes 6kg X9 X8 X8

Hanging leg raises 3 sets

Assisted pull-ups (counterweight 25kg) 6 X5

Bike 25 mins high intensity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm still getting pain in my leg on and off so just sticking to the cycling and weights for a couple of months. The annoying thing is, i won't feel any pain at the physio but then I'll just be sitting on the sofa and it'll be the usual dull ache. frustrating to say the least. Thanks for the enquiry :) Don't worry, if i ever get back running I'll be reigniting the log as soon as I can! :)

Sorry to hear your injury is still preventing you from running but at least your engaged in other training. Hope you back out on the roads soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

+1

Good that you are getting to the gym anyway.

Thanks guys! :D

14/5/08

Squats
    8.5kg X10 X10 X10
    11kg X10

Lunges
    13.5kg X8 X8
    16kg X8 X8
    (each leg)

Straight leg deadlifts
    21kg X9 X6 X6

Assisted pull ups (counterweight 25kg)
    X8 X6 X6 X6

leg press 200lbs X9 X9 X9

Bike - 20 mins high intensity

15/5

bench press 26kg
    X6 X6 X4
    21kg X10

narrow grip bench press 21kg
    X6 X6 X5

Tricep kickbacks 6kg X10 X9 X9

Assisted pullups (cw 20kg)
    X5 X4 X3 X3
    (cw 25kg)
    X5 X5

Hanging leg raises - 3 sets

Bike 25 mins - moderate-high

17/5

Squats
    11.5kg X 12
    13kg X10
    16.5kg X8
    16.5kg X8

Lunges 13.5kg X10 X8 X8 each leg

Leg press
    200lbs X10
    205 lbs X10
    210lbs X8

Assisted pull ups
    Counterweight = 20
    X5 X5 X4 X4 X3
    Counterweight = 30
    X10 X10

Hanging let raises - 2 sets

Bike - 20 mins high intensity

20/5

DB Bench press
    8KG DBs X10
    10kg DBs X10
    12kg DBs X8 X8 X7
    10kg DBs X8

French press - 8.5kg X8 X8 X8

DB Flyes 6kg DBs X8 X8 X8

SL Deadlifts 23.5kg X8 X8 X8

Lateral raises 4kg X8 X7 X6

Hanging leg raises 2 sets of 20 alternating knees bent / legs straight

Ass Pull ups cw=30 x10 X8

Bike 20 minutes moderate (was too wrecked after the weights :o)

24/5/08

Squats warmup 11kg X10
    16kg
    X9
    X9
    X9

Lunges - 10kg DBs
    4 X 6 (each leg)

Assisted pull ups counterw=25kg
    X10 X7 X10 X9 X6

Hanging leg raises - alt b/n knees bent and legs straight 3 x20

Leg press 210lbs 3 X8

Bike moderate level 11 8.5kg 20 mins

The good news is......

today I went for a *run* - pain free!

Took it really handy obviously, very easy pace especially as it was very windy which always slows me down, and kept it short (to be honest i was maazed i was fit enough to do more than a few hundred metres lol)

Did about 3km in about 19mins, did feel i could have done another half k or so at least but did not want to push it in any way. Was just *delighted* to be able to run at all! :D

So the plan for the next few weeks is maybe to run twice a week, again keep it easy, not push myself etc. and see how things go. Fingers crossed! Then after a few weeks maybe get back into some kind of training schedule / routine.

The bad news is....

My strength training is really gonna suffer :D

27/5

Bench press 26kg X8 X8 X4 X3
    French press 8.5kg X8 X8 X8
    DB Flyes 6kg X8 X8 X8

hanging leg raises, legs straight X15 X12 X10

SL Deadlifts 28.5kg X10 X8 X8 X8

Ass Pull ups cw =25 X7 cw=30 X9

Bike moderaate resistance=11 10k 24 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Great to see you've started back with the running - over time you should find the strength training you've done will help you there as well.

• Advertisement

Cheers ike. I've runs pencilled in for saturday and tuesday all going well :)

29/5

Squats 18.5kg x10 X10 X9
    Lunges 8kg DBs X8 X8 X8 X6 each leg
    Overhead lunges 8.5kg barbell X10 (just trying them out)
    leg press 210 lbs X8 x8 x8
    Hanging leg raises - legs straight 2 X 15
    Assisted pull ups: cw=30 1X12 cw=25 X7 X6 X5 X7

Ran off with a girl's 8kg DBs as I didn't know she was using them and had to go and apologise when I realised :o

Bike 5 mins, was shattered for some reason! :(

Advertisement