Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Loneliness of a Middle Distance Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

4km run - 24:45

This morning 4k - 24:15

2/6/08

Bench press
    11.5kg x 10 warm up
    26kg X8 X7 X7
    28.5kg X5 X3 (pb!)

DB flyes 6kg 3 X 8

French press 11.5kg X4 X4 X4 X3

Lateral raises 5kg X4 (lol) 4kg X8 X8

Military press 6kg DBs 3 X 8 (hadn't done MPs in aaages. I remember 5kg used to be a real struggle by the end. these sets with 6kg felt easy tbh)

SL Deadlifts 36kg X6 X5 X5 - 28.5kg X6 X6

A few (about 20 in total) assisted pull ups throughout

hanging leg raises - legs straight x15 x12 x12

Bike 5 X 30 second intervals. Absolutely fcuked after it even though it only took 5 mins :o

6k 38 mins (it nearly killed me lol!)

squats 18.5kg X9 x9 x9
    lunges 6kg dbs x 8 x8 x8 each leg
    leg press 210 x9 215 x8 220 x8 225x8
    random negative dips and assisted dips throughout
    so ass. pull-ups in between
    hanging leg raises X15 X12
    bike hiit 5 mins

• Advertisement

4k 25mins

bench press
    18.5kg X 10
    28.5kg X5 X5 X5 X3

Close grip bench 18.5kg X10 X8

Db Flyes 8kg X6 X5 X5

French press 11.5kg X5 X5 X5

SLDL 28.5kg X7 X7 X7 X6

Assisted pull ups
    3 sets of:
    1 x cw=15, 2 x cw=20, 3 x cw=25 4 x cw=30

Bike 5 mins HIIT (30 sec intervals)

4k 25 mins

4k 23:30 - the cooler weather definitely helped the time

4k 23:18

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Great to see you back running eclectic!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Welcome back electichoney, it great to see your back running. Sorry it took so long to notice I've just been busy with other stuff. You be be delighted with yourself, and fair play to you even though you couldn't run you adapted and kept training.

Thanks a mill' guys for the kind words :) 'Tis great to be back at it alright, a little frustrating that my fitness has evaporated but i'm not gonna complain! :D i did have some pain for 2 days after my slog at 6k last week, so I'm just gonna get comfortable with the 4k for another week maybe and then try and lengthen things. Not sure if this is the best approach, but my main priority now is not to get injured again even if it takes a little longer to progress for a while.

14/6

Squats
    8.5kg X10
    18.5kg X8 X8

Lunges, 6kg X 8 X8 X8 each leg

Bulgarian split squats 4kg DBs X 5 X5 X5 each leg (ouch :o)

Leg press
    210lbs X 10
    215lbs X9
    220lbs X9

Assisted pull ups 2 set of:
    2 X cw=15, 3 X cw=20, 4 X cw=25, 5 X cw=30

Tricep Dips - negatives only (me can't do full ones) X4 X4 X4 X4 x4 interspersed throughout the workout

lying leg raises 2 X 8
    hanging leg raises 2 x 10

Bike HIIT 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Glad to see you're over the injury. Keep the running up!

4k 23:30 mins

4.75k this morning in 26:45 mins

bench
    18.5kg X10
    28.5kg X7 X5 X4

narrow grip
    18.5kg X8 X8

french press 11.5kg X5 X5 X5

Military press 6kg DBs 3 X 8

SLDL 31kg 3 X 8

Lateral raises 4kg 3 X 8

2 sets of leg raises
    1 set of pullups; 3 X cw=15, 4 X cw=20, 5 X cw=25, 6Xcw=30

Bike HIIT 5 mins

4k 24 mins - calf didn't feel great the last couple of days so took it handy and got round in one piece!

7k 46 mins - but it was on the treadmilll so it doesn't count! :D
    Seriously all my running has been outdoors exclusively the past few weeks and the treadmill feels so easy compared to the slopes and wind and everything. It's like cheating! :p

I did feel really dizzy afterwards which may be a function of the fact that I've been low-carbing the past couple of weeks. Will see how it goes.

Was supposed to do weights after but i figured if I picked up anything heavy I'd probably drop it on myself lol.

hanging leg raises X15 X12 X12
    pull ups assisted cw=10 X2 cw=15X3 cw=20x4 cw=25X5 cw=30X6 cw=35X7

6.3k 42 mins

just some light benching afterwards
    8kg DBs X20
    10kg DBs X 10 X8

• Advertisement

6k 38:30

Hmmm was thinking I'm going to have to re-evaluate my strength training programme as I imagine I'm not going to be doing it any more than once or twice a week if I steer clear of running injuries. I might opt for a something TBT and aim for once a week and then see how it goes. Though there doesn't seem much point in doing it only the once - sure i might as well not be doing it at all! Will have a think about it....

6.1k in 37 mins.

Serious negative split today - why oh why do I find it so hard to pace myself running outdoors?? Did the first half in 19:30 mins and the second half in 17:30, and that's even taking into account i was running against quite a strong wind coming back up the pier. Felt good though. I think the few longer runs I did on the treadmill recently prepared me, maybe it gave me the confidence as I *knew* i could cover the distance handily enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

6.1k in 37 mins.

Serious negative split today - why oh why do I find it so hard to pace myself running outdoors??

Probably because you warm up? I might average 8min pace for a run, but the first 20mins might be slowly working it's way down from 8.50 pace, so I'm probably going close to 7.10 pace towards the end. Naturally happens. We do 5-6 laps of a field and the laps get successively faster each one, even when we are not trying and just chatting away.
    Quite a good way to train anyway, negative splits I think.
    That's nearly 4 miles at about 9minute mile pace. You're flying now, big improvement. I can't remember your running goal - was it a 10k?

thanks for that racing Flat - it makes sense (as you can tell I don't know a lot about these things! :o)

Tbh I don't really have an immediate goal - I just want to keep running and hopefully increase the distance so I guess 10k is the next milestone. I'm going to dig out a training plan on the net later and start off on it now that I have got my fitness up a bit.

5k in 32:00 today, then went to the gym and did some upper body stuff to ease myself into it. didn't do any lower body work as the calf isn't feeling too hot and ddin't want to push it.

8.5k in 56ish minutes. Talk about a long *SLOW* run!

Could have kept going only my left glute and leg were hurting a lot from about 4k onwards.

Hauled myself out in the rain this afternoon even though I wasn't in the mood and said, well I don't care if it takes me an hour and I've to crawl around I'm gonna do this 7k run today. So believe it or not, I got my best time yet and more importantly it felt great, could have continued only I was at my front door and was soaked so fancied a hot shower! :)

7k - 41:10 (ftw!)

Normally I do my runs n the morning on an empty stomach so maybe the afternoon time slot and some food from brekkie / lunch helped a bit?? or maybe it was just one of those good days to savour!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hauled myself out in the rain this afternoon even though I wasn't in the mood and said, well I don't care if it takes me an hour and I've to crawl around I'm gonna do this 7k run today. So believe it or not, I got my best time yet and more importantly it felt great, could have continued only I was at my front door and was soaked so fancied a hot shower! :)

Normally I do my runs n the morning on an empty stomach so maybe the afternoon time slot and some food from brekkie / lunch helped a bit?? or maybe it was just one of those good days to savour!

Well done :) It's great seeing progress, you've done really well. I can't imagine running on an empty stomach - I definitely need to have had a banana or something before I go to the gym any evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Green Athene

Well done Electichoney :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Today 7k in .... 38:10 :)

I have had a very tender pain in my left arch since the start of Tuesday's run which is annoying. It hurts when I press it, like a bruise would but it's not swollen or red or anything (it hurts when I walk as well). Thought taking yesterday off would give it a chance to heal but it was still in full force today :( Icing it atm so hopefully it'll be good for a run on Saturday.

Advertisement