Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for a coffee in the city?

Options
  • 28-10-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Where do you think the best place is in the city to go for a cup of coffee?

Not just good coffee, but also comfortable seating.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Javas (Henry Street)

Cafe on the Row (Bedford Row)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

carlton coffee near dunnes on harveys quay or if ur up the northside of the city i would totally recommend Costa coffee in jetlands shopping centre. love it there. really comfy and the white choc and raspberry mufffins are to die for:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Javas for sure

Did I hear something once about a starbucks in georges hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would have to say Cafe on the Row. They do a great full Irish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 douzer77

Must say i love the Sage Cafe on Catherine Street, but only drink tea so can't vouch for the coffee!

Has the Java's on Henry Street anything to do with Java's that closed on Catherine Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

correct me if im wrong but i think its jaffas thats on henry st not javas. the coffee is ok there but the service was terrible last time i went there:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

it is jaffas in henry street and it has nothing to do with javas in catherine street - sadly missed by a lot of customers. since java disappeared i hardly go for a coffee to town. it was just unique. i really miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

1. O'Briens
    2. Carlton
    3. Sage Cafe
    it is jaffas in henry street and it has nothing to do with javas in catherine street - sadly missed by a lot of customers. since java disappeared i hardly go for a coffee to town. it was just unique. i really miss it!

Sure, Java's is in UL now! so if you miss it that much you can take a trip out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Is there a Relish on Thomas Street? And does anyone know if they do pasta for 3.95?!?!

Came across this miracle in Dublin!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Carlton serves good coffee, but it's not a sit down chillax sort of place. It's been a long time since I was down there but Browns in the basement of Brown Thomas was comfy enough...a rip off though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sorry meant jaffa's not javas, which ever the one thats on henry street.

Is there a Relish on Thomas Street? And does anyone know if they do pasta for 3.95?!?!

Came across this miracle in Dublin!!!!

haha yet another person who thinks Delish is Relish! don't worry i was the same!

don't know about the pasta!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Even Delish think they are relish have seen signs up in there that say both :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

1234556789 wrote: »
    Hi,

Where do you think the best place is in the city to go for a cup of coffee?

Not just good coffee, but also comfortable seating.

Thanks.

That’s a big ask.
    I have yet to find a decent coffee shop in Limerick.
    O’ Briens in the city serves horrible coffee and it’s a tight squeeze.

I spent ages looking for a place to open up in Limerick.
    My concept was simple: a place where you can get “good” coffee drinks in a nice environment (big comfy seats, soothing music), a place where you can chillax for 15 to 30 minutes without anyone bothering you, a place where you watch the world go by as your curl up to a steaming hot latte.

Nearly signed a lease but regulations blew it out of the water (e.g. wheelchair accessible toilets, which were not possible at the location unless I installed an elevator).

Do you think that there are enough of coffee connoisseurs in the city to keep me in business if I finally find a place? The focus would be on the coffee not food (except for maybe tempting desserts).

Depends on location. Somewhere "peaceful" slap bang in the middle of O' Connell Street would be a prime location in my opinion. I know that rents would be much higher in such a location.

Indeed there is a lack of cafes that have good comfortable seating (IE beanbags, sofas, armchairs etc)

Some parts of the town have way too many coffee shops- Catherine Street and Thomas Street in Particular.

Best of luck with it if you do try it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

sioda wrote: »
    Even Delish think they are relish have seen signs up in there that say both :D

That's 'cos they were Relish when they started first. Seemed to have to change the name a little while after opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Delphi91 wrote: »
    That's 'cos they were Relish when they started first. Seemed to have to change the name a little while after opening.

Confusing Feicers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

O'Conbell street could do with a good coffee shop, but I have my doubts there's enough coinneusseurs to appreciate coffee in the city.

Delphi91 wrote: »

Aww... I went into Delish today and they dont have the same food as Relish. Must be a different company! Gutted, 3.95 for a full pasta dinner was great!

Where is that out of interest.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There's a Delish on Thomas Street (down from Aubars IIRC), and one in Raheen (next to Pizza Hut). From what I heard they were originally called Relish but changed because of the sandwhich bars in Supermac's of the same name - dunno if that's true (don't know which came first).

I don't drink coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Papad wrote: »
    I spent ages looking for a place to open up in Limerick.
    My concept was simple: a place where you can get “good” coffee drinks in a nice environment (big comfy seats, soothing music), a place where you can chillax for 15 to 30 minutes without anyone bothering you, a place where you watch the world go by as your curl up to a steaming hot latte.

Do you think that there are enough of coffee connoisseurs in the city to keep me in business if I finally find a place? The focus would be on the coffee not food (except for maybe tempting desserts).

It sounds like a heavenly place but you would never make enough money if customers lingered over a single coffee for half an hour - particularly if there was no emphasis on food ;)

I think the coffee in Coffee 4 Two in Catherine Street is the best in town by a mile - no beanbags though Papad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Osk wrote: »
    It sounds like a heavenly place but you would never make enough money if customers lingered over a single coffee for half an hour - particularly if there was no emphasis on food ;)

Nagh, it works. Look at Starbucks.
    With regard to food, chocolate cake slices and premiere desserts would be offered. (Sounds tempting, doesn’t it?).

Osk wrote: »
    I think the coffee in Coffee 4 Two in Catherine Street is the best in town by a mile - no beanbags though Papad!

Will check out Coffee 4 Two on Catherine Street.
    (Will they serve me if I go by myself, I wonder?)

Oh, by the way for the other posters who mentioned locations:
    O’ Connell Street is not an option as the rent could be anywhere from 80k to 120k per year. You would need to sell an awful lot of coffee for that.

There's a Delish on Thomas Street (down from Aubars IIRC), and one in Raheen (next to Pizza Hut). From what I heard they were originally called Relish but changed because of the sandwhich bars in Supermac's of the same name - dunno if that's true (don't know which came first).

I don't drink coffee :)

Its the sandwich bars in Supermacs Im on the look out for... thought they were a stand alone thing. Is there a relish in any Supermacs in Limerick??

Is there a relish in any Supermacs in Limerick??

One on the Ennis Road has a Relish in it

Its the sandwich bars in Supermacs Im on the look out for... thought they were a stand alone thing.

There's one of them in Statoil on the Dock Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That's in Shell/Centra, and it's just a normal Supermac's is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Javas is now in UL. Though its changed from a Cafe to a Cafe-Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Back to the original thread topic:

Try the wild onion cafe on high street (near the milk market). The coffee there is a special blen variety which is awesome (you can buy beans to take home with you also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Limerick Man, I think there might be a relish in Raheen just down from the South Court. Food in there is class

Advertisement