Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Died after Operation

• 28-10-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

This query is for my sister in law, she got her cat nutured by a local vet, she had hand raised the kitten, after the operation she noticed the cat was not right and brought her back to the vet three times saying she wasn't eating, no energy, literly the cats hair would come off in your hard, three times she was fobbed off by the vet saying she was just dehydrated, tonight the cat started coughing up blood and died in her hands. Is there anyone you can register a compaint with about the vet or action that you can take against them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

so sorry to hear this

http://www.vci.ie/

these might be the people you are looking for, but you may need to have the cat autopsied also to verify with certainty what caused death - I know UCD do this but I don't know where else around the country do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Sorry to hear about that.

If you need to get a post mortem, the sooner you get one done the better because then they can get a clearer idea of what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sorry for your loss and hope you find peace of mind soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Very sorry to hear about this its such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

So sorry to hear about this. Please encourage your sister in law to follow this up, painful as it is. There are too many stories about really bad vets, but these are rarely brought to anyone's attention.

What an awful thing to have happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

That's awful op, I can't believe that vet fobbed her off for so long.
    Any vet i've dealt with has been very caring and kind..even over simple problems.
    Please try to get this followed up, it may save someone going through the same experience again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Could possibly have been botched stitching in the peritonium, leading to leaking (poor choice of wording) and sepsis.

Would certainly entertain sending the cat to UCD Veterinary Hospital for autopsy and confirmation. Incidentally, please be sure you want to know exactly what happened, it can all be stressful and upsetting. I'm actually a postgrad student at UCD in the Vet Sciences Centre, the hospital staff are v nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

just out of curiosity - would autopsy be expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

My colleagues here tell me that for a small animal, a post-mortem is around €40 - €60 (there's no bed and board charge, obviously!!)

So, not too bad really.

UCD Veterinary Hospital,
    Belfield, Dublin 4.
    01 716 6000

Enter UCD campus throught the N11 entrance and turn right after the gatehouse, head down straight past the carparks and on to the Vet Hospital. There's private parking for owners, just park the car and get a permit from reception.

I hope this will help the OP's friend get some closure.

Advertisement