Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Statistical Relationship Between Provisional Licence Holders and Accidents?

Options
  • 28-10-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

I rang the RSA on Friday to find out where I could locate the document on their website detailing the statistical relationship between provisional license holders and accidents, fatal and non-fatal. Surely there must be such data and it must be compelling, otherwise why the rush for this legislation?

Amazingly, there is no such document nor could the spokeswoman tell me if and when the statistics, whatever they are, might be published. It is not clear if they even exist.

There appears to be an assumption that provisional licence holders have a greater accident rate than other drivers. Is this correct? Could it be that their accident rate might even be as good as, if not better, than full licence holders?

Provisional licence holders of my acquaintance only drive on their own after several professional driving lessons. They do so only if they are confident of their ability to drive. They are only too conscious of the need to drive carefully so as to avoid any mishaps that could result in an extra loading on their already expensive insurance premiums.

On the other hand, I know some individuals who once they got their full licence suddenly felt they knew it all. ("Drive slower son". "What's the problem, Dad? I'm a fully qualified driver now").

Maybe there are compelling statistics linking provisional licence holders and high accident rates. If so they should be published without further delay in order to bring some clarity to bear on the debate.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm sure that the percentage of serious accidents caused by Provisional drivers is quite low.
    These new laws are a sad joke and will do nothing to reduce the carnage on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Not sure of the statistaics but common sense would dictate that someone who has passed a basic (i.e. not advanced) driving test is a better driver that someone not deemed to be at that standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I think the most dangerous time for a driver is just after they pass their test (within the first year) hence the new proposal that a driver will only get their full licence until 2 years after they have passed and will get an interim licence called a restriced licence for two years in between (See RSA Strategy 2007 - 2012 from WWW.RSA.IE) The whole thing with the drivers permit is in preparation for this as it is clearly this first year or two is when a driver is the most dangerous. Naturally experienced drivers will cause less acidents as they have that experience of driving in all conditions, weather, etc and they may have had a few near misses that will casue them to cop on with maturity.

Quote from Steer Clear - " Here is some bad news: in crash situations novice drivers account for the greatest number of incidents. As a novice driver you need to pay attention to that fact. Statistics show that the first year after passing the driving test is a particularly dangerous time for new drivers. Why is this ? Its because as a new driver, you're limited in your driving judgment: your perception of risk, your ability to respond to hazards and your ability to predict driver behaviour.... The problem is that you will acquire the basic motor skills much more quickly that you acquire the experience you need for good driving judgment. Relaively quickly after you pass your drivers test you will feel confident in your ability to handle a vehicle. Unfortunately this is a false sense of confidence because while you have the motor skills you still dont have the judgment that comes with experience. Statictics show that if you let this confidence feeling determine how you drive, you're highly likely to have a crash. .......... Although the first year is the most dangerous, research from the USA suggests that it takes five years to reach average driving competence"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm sure that the percentage of serious accidents caused by Provisional drivers is quite low.
    These new laws are a sad joke and will do nothing to reduce the carnage on the roads.

Have to disagree with that, these new laws will pay off in time (i.e. five-six years hence and further), when better educated drivers are out on the roads, and not using loopholes and unenforced laws to get out on the roads on their own with no mandatory instruction, as they are at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Have to disagree with that, these new laws will pay off in time (i.e. five-six years hence and further), when better educated drivers are out on the roads, and not using loopholes and unenforced laws to get out on the roads on their own with no mandatory instruction, as they are at present.

Totally agree. I am sick of having a system that people can jump in a car without any practical test.

Many people have got a provisional when they were 17 and never drove. Two years later they get there second provisional and can legally get in a car on their own with no experience. What a loophole. You shouldnt be able to drive on your own without being tested somehow.

Crap system.

Some learners are very good. It may sound stuck up but I was a good learner as I had respect for the road and the dangers involved. A lot of new drivers, IMO, do not understand the responsibilty of driving as they are not just responsible for themselves but also can harm others by bad driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

cazzy wrote: »
    Statistics show that the first year after passing the driving test is a particularly dangerous time for new drivers. Why is this ? Its because as a new driver, you're limited in your driving judgment: your perception of risk, your ability to respond to hazards and your ability to predict driver behaviour.... The problem is that you will acquire the basic motor skills much more quickly that you acquire the experience you need for good driving judgment. Relaively quickly after you pass your drivers test you will feel confident in your ability to handle a vehicle. Unfortunately this is a false sense of confidence because while you have the motor skills you still dont have the judgment that comes with experience.

This is a sensible article. You can pass your test and get a license, but you still need the experience to make you a competent, if not good, driver. The restricted license concept will work in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

While I agree there is need for change as our system is such a joke, I don't think there is any evidence that provisional drivers are any worse.

I think they are just trying to educate the younger drivers (which is great) and also if your mam or dad is beside you in the passanger seat they will be a deterent to speeding

The new system will only work though if test times are reduced to like a month (get this right first).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Vegeta wrote: »
    While I agree there is need for change as our system is such a joke, I don't think there is any evidence that provisional drivers are any worse.
    If you think about it logically, how can a person with no experience be good at something? How can a person that still has to think about what foot goes where be aware of everything that is going on around them?
    I think they are just trying to educate the younger drivers (which is great) and also if your mam or dad is beside you in the passanger seat they will be a deterent to speeding
    So this is good? No?
    The new system will only work though if test times are reduced to like a month (get this right first).
    Why? Other countries have waits of longer than a month, either by design or due to backlogs, why does Ireland have to be different.

MrP

Advertisement