Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lamping for rabbits and foxes

• 28-10-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    i was looking for as much info as you can offer on this topic.
    i have done lots of game shoooting and have shot rabbits with my shotgun.
    I recently bought a BRNO .22 and am keen to get some rabbits on the lamp,
    got myself a Cluson lamp with a red filter and a caller for foxes,
    there are lots of rabbits and foxes near where i live and any info on best time of year, weather and tactics would be much appriciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

By coincidence, I am a game/shotgun shooter who just aquired a BRNO CZ .22 and started shooting rabbits so heres what I learned so far....

Get your practice/eye in on a target first.
    Drive into the rabbit field and around the edge shining the lamp in front.
    You should see the rabbits in the 100m in front of you.
    If they run make a noise and they will stop and bang!

As for foxes, thats a can of worms, scroll through the other threads, most guys dont think .22lr is sufficient for fox, some do. I havent shot any.

Most of the posters here are fox/rifle buffs and will give you all the info you need.

(I wont drone on about safe backdrops etc Im sure you know safe practices)

By the by, where did you get the lamp and caller? How much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'll do the short version as lamping tips have been done to death, a search of this forum will turn up all the relevent info :)

I'm only going to talk fox rifles as I don't do much rabbit shooting. Bad news is that a .22lr is not a foxing rifle, rimfires don't have the power or range to kill a fox reliably. I pick that last word intentionally from first hand experience and from friends who have related their experiences to me.

It will kill a fox, I've done it. But, shot placement has to be spot on brain shot to be a reliable kill. It's entirely possible that you'll get more injuries than kills with this calibre,badly placed shots end up in jaws. in throats, breaking teeth, nicking the skull, piercing ears etc.

If I were you I would save up for a centrefire rifle. They are more forgiving in orders of magnitude, all shots should be placed well but sometimes that just doesn't happen, foxy takes a step at the wrong time or you squeeze the trigger wrong etc. Centrefire makes a damn big hole in a fox, not a pinprick like .22lr.

I would seriously consider either a .223 or a .22-250. Other options are .17REM (NOT HMR) (expensive ammo), .222 (hard to get ammo for I think?) or .220SWIFT (2 Euro a shot...). I left out 22Hornet as I think it's surpassed by other calibres. The 223 or 22-250 are the best foxing rifles IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

By the by, where did you get the lamp and caller? How much?[/QUOTE]

I got the lamp from a famers whole sale market in Trim,
    the lamp is the Cluson Clulite, they are around 225 in the shops but i paid 175 for mine.
    as for the caller, its a Lockvogel memory flash s and cost E220, i went halves with this with a friend, the other calllers in the shops were more like kids toys than anything else, sound quality and volume is far superior on this one.

Advertisement