Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

memory foam mattresses? What do we think

Options
  • 28-10-2007 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there, thinking of buying a memory foam mattress but have never had one before. Slept on one once in a hotel and liked it but wasn't overly impressed.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? Also, if anyone can suggest a good place to buy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've got a memory foam topper, a lot cheaper and just as good as the full mattress. I bought a 3 inch and a 4 inch, I'd recommend the 3 inch as it allows more support. I purchased mine from the States but I don't think this company ship international any more.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Memory-Foam/Mattress-Topper,/type,/2795/subcat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I slept on one in a sublet apartment we had in the states - it was like $1,000 from Cost co. they said and I just got a pain in my back from it every morning - I quickly ditched it in favour of the air mattress so that's what I think of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I purchased a memory foam mattress topper, it cost me 150 euro and found it great at first, it has eased some back ache but not enough for me to say ya sorted.. I bought it in Harry Corry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bought a King Koil one a few months ago and it's fantastic! I don't know anything about the cheaper ones, this cost over €1700 for a king size. It has a 20 year guarantee.
    I got it in Frank McGowan's in Airside, Swords. They have one there you can try out.
    You never have to toss and turn looking for a comfy spot in it, it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

ya

I got one with a bed I purchased and it Was bargain only 300 - 350 euro and it is coiled. It is very comfy. You wake up ready to jump out of bed which wsnt so much so on my solo bed/mattress although that was my bed of junvinility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

rcly123 wrote: »
    Hi there, thinking of buying a memory foam mattress but have never had one before. Slept on one once in a hotel and liked it but wasn't overly impressed.

Does anyone have any experience or advice? Also, if anyone can suggest a good place to buy...

Here’s a long thread on memory foam mattresses which I analysed earlier this year, which should give you a range of suppliers to choose from. I bought 2 kingsize memory foam mattresses for approx 250 to 300 euro each. (See my feedback in entry 38). I notice the mattress moulds around my upper back which makes it more comfortable than a standard mattress.

(Note that in entry 39, that person's mattress was accidently sent to me, couriers fault, not the suppliers. We arranged him to pick it up accordingly)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=305080&page=2&highlight=%22memory+foam%22

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Its not memory foam....its clled Visco Eleastic. I paid €1300 for one 3 years ago....worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kiki_

I got a memory foam mattress a few weeks ago and I find it much better than my old one, really comfy. We got it from Clerys. You can look at them in the shop (or lie down on them!) or have a look on their website (www.clerysbedstore.ie). Here's the one we got:

http://www.clerysbedstore.ie/product/220/39/memory_seal_double

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emperor Tomato Ketchup

Oddly the rest of the world seems to think memory foam mattresses are great so maybe I am just weird but I just got a memory foam mattress the other day and I am horrified. It seems really soft and saggy. Since then I've slept badly and have a terrible backache. I was told they take a bit of getting used to but I'm really unconvinced so far. It reminds me of beds in terrible B&Bs. I'm also cranky as a result of not sleeping so looking to vent.

Most of all I'm kicking myself for having my old mattress taken away as it was much more firm and really wasn't that bad.

It is a layer of memory foam over a pocket sprung mattress. Our previous two mattresses were plain pocket sprung from the same place and were all excellent but the pocket sprung layer seems pretty feeble on this. Also using my spirit level shows one corner to seemingly be not flat but the others are. So I dunno if this is faulty, just doesn't suit me or both. In either case I think I'll be on the phone first thing tomorrow to try and send it back but I dunno how that'll pan out.

Advertisement