Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many good games

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

no one looking forward to soldier of fortune 3? out in two weeks

http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2007/10/soldier-of-fortune-3-first-gameplay.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

KdjaCL wrote: »
    generally how it works, someone makes a good game you buy it therefore they make another.

I know its a hard concept to grasp.
    kdjac
    ok, u need to think outside the box a little more :D
    Cremo wrote: »
    funny i was thinking more along the lines of going to the local xtra vision.

ya...eh, xtra vision...thats wat i meant too;)....downloading games is wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

The Queen wrote: »
    no one looking forward to soldier of fortune 3? out in two weeks

http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2007/10/soldier-of-fortune-3-first-gameplay.html

first i've heard of it being released, will defo pick up a copy if it really is out in 2 weeks, hope it's as bloody as ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MooseJam wrote: »
    first i've heard of it being released, will defo pick up a copy if it really is out in 2 weeks, hope it's as bloody as ever :)

First that I've heard of it as well, they really rolled out the hype machine for that one!:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First I heard as well. Will be avoiding like the plague. SOF 1&2 with dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

can some1 list all the must have 360 and pc games for this and next month :) :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

looks really good to me. I didn't play the first two all that much (my boyfriend loves them) but i will probably give this a go

SoF_Oct_2.jpg

soldier-of-fortune-pay-back-20071019024713662.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

The Queen wrote: »
    looks really good to me. I didn't play the first two all that much (my boyfriend loves them) but i will probably give this a go

SoF_Oct_2.jpg

soldier-of-fortune-pay-back-20071019024713662.jpg

from the look of detached legs and half mawed bodies i guess the game is soldior fortion ? am i right :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Funny it's been a bit of a meh year to me.

Bioshock - enjoyable but I've played System Shock 2 before.
    UT Quake Wars - good but I'll wait for some devotee to do a WW2 mod.
    UT3 - as an old original UT fan I rarely get excited by UT games anymore.
    HL2 Ep2 - fine but Valve should now accept that the idea of episodic gaming is done. If I have to wait this long for a such a short experience then forget about it.
    Portal - For me the saviour of the year. Gaming gold all be it short gaming gold.

I'm hoping COD4 and Crysis can redeem the year in gaming for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Wow, detached limb "realism". I want this SOF game. Bet i cant run it.
    musician wrote:
    HL2 Ep2 - fine but Valve should now accept that the idea of episodic gaming is done. If I have to wait this long for a such a short experience then forget about it.
    Wow, i heard it was longer than episode 1.Still though, if its part of the orange box bargain pack, its probably worth it.

This surely is a thread to get me saving on a better card than a Radeon X800.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Wow, detached limb "realism". I want this SOF game. Bet i cant run it.

Wow, i heard it was longer than episode 1.Still though, if its part of the orange box bargain pack, its probably worth it.

This surely is a thread to get me saving on a better card than a Radeon X800.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Episode 2 but I just think the whole episodic concept is a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yeah it is a bit of a joke but they are only doing that because they would have to do a major overhaul of the engine/physics and graphics for a HL3.

Then get pressured into a newer counter strike. Probably not worth the anticipated whinging. I cant even remember playing condition zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Soldier of fortune never grabbed me either.
    SOF3 seems like a joke, ive seen from videos showing that small bullets can tear limbs off, with extra blood. Im betting the extra gore is to make up for the sh**** gameplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

sof was a great shooter, lots of fun, the blood and guts was just an added bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

musician wrote: »
    Bioshock - enjoyable but I've played System Shock 2 before.
    UT Quake Wars - good but I'll wait for some devotee to do a WW2 mod.
    UT3 - as an old original UT fan I rarely get excited by UT games anymore.
    Portal - For me the saviour of the year. Gaming gold all be it short gaming gold.

I'd have to agree with you on the year so far. Portal being by far the standout title.

Earlier in the year Crackdown was great, and more recently Heavenly Sword and Folklore have been really good games, but nothing super amazing. And nothing (themselves included) has come close to the ridiculous hype the likes of Halo and Bioshock received.

Still, with Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Ratchet & Clank, CoD4 still to come the year should end very strongly. I don't think we're yet getting up to the heights of quality we had when the PS2 was in its peak about 2 years ago though. There's nothing coming that I can see being anywhere near as memorable as a Grand Theft Auto or a Metal Gear Solid or a Final Fantasy, except maybe Assassin's Creed if they pull it off right.

eh, will GTA4 be comin to pc actually?...think itl take a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I'm waiting for midnight before I can download Portal to give it a lash (exceeded monthly limit). I was more concerned about getting TF2 than Portal, having already played Narbacular Drop.

I loved SOF2 mainly for the online play. Don't need SOF3 as I have TF2 now :)

PES2008 and TF2 should keep me happy for a while. Only really looking out for Spore which is 2008. If I get bored then there's Civ4:BtS which I've neglected. That World in Conflict was the other game that tempted me - but I won't get that till I complete Ground Control 2 (also neglected).

cregser wrote: »
    I'm waiting for midnight before I can download Portal to give it a lash (exceeded monthly limit). I was more concerned about getting TF2 than Portal, having already played Narbacular Drop.

TF2 s a good laugh in multi player, its like a freekin cartoon, brilliant.

i HATE portal, i really dont see wat ppl see in it, its pure and utter bollocks! its the type of game id expect to play on newgrounds or summit... its STUPID!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You're just mad because the cake was a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I've managed to narrow the list down to 3 games,

CoD4 - a definite purchase.
    Gears of War - Never played it, but it looks like tons of fun, I'm really excited to try this one out, but to warrant a purchase I will have to wait, see if it takes off online.
    Need for Speed: ProStreet - Looks good, I'll try the demo out tomorrow, but I think I'll end up sctraching this one off, I'm too much of a fan of GTR2 and in-car views.

Others that were scratched off of my list:

UT3 - Too fast and twitchy, loved the first one when it came out but Call of duty and Battlefield stole me away with their slower tactical yet still arcadishly fun gameplays.

Quake Wars - Again very UT-ish, didn't really like it at all, vehicles suck and so do the weapons.

Crysis - Too heavy, I'll probably keep an eye on it though, see how it does online, but I don't really find 32 nano suits running around fun.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - delayed into the infinity.

Team Fortress 2: Well it does look fun but it looks like the kind of game I'd have fun with it for like an hour then I'd get bored with it, plus I like huge varieties of weapons, which TF2 doesn't have.

HL2:EP2: I'll wait till the trilogy is finished then play it all through from the beginning to the end.

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Team Fortress 2: Well it does look fun but it looks like the kind of game I'd have fun with it for like an hour then I'd get bored with it, plus I like huge varieties of weapons, which TF2 doesn't have.
    As a jaded FPS fan I can say you'll definitely get more than a hour out of it! You'll get at least 3 to 4 2hour sessions of fun without frustration - unless you're so inclined. The game is in the same vain as Timesplitters and takes all the old guns we've used before and makes them FUN. It has those memorable gaming moments in it like strolling into a crowded area with your minigun just as the medic charges his invulnerability gun or stabbing that wrench loving engineer in the back as a spy or blasting that spy with your shotgun just as he thought he got around you or sniping the scout that thought he was too fast for everyone or just setting fire to or shootin rockets at everyone!

I don't like the demoman though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

As a jaded FPS fan I can say you'll definitely get more than a hour out of it! You'll get at least 3 to 4 2hour sessions of fun without frustration - unless you're so inclined. The game is in the same vain as Timesplitters and takes all the old guns we've used before and makes them FUN. It has those memorable gaming moments in it like strolling into a crowded area with your minigun just as the medic charges his invulnerability gun or stabbing that wrench loving engineer in the back as a spy or blasting that spy with your shotgun just as he thought he got around you or sniping the scout that thought he was too fast for everyone or just setting fire to or shootin rockets at everyone!

Damn, I just might give a try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Demoman is my favourite. Great for getting rid of annoying turrets and the sticky grenades are really effective, don't use normal grenades at all.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Demoman is my favourite. Great for getting rid of annoying turrets and the sticky grenades are really effective, don't use normal grenades at all.
    Each to their own :). I don't like his limited range and the idea of waiting for somebody to walk into your sticky-booby trap. But some peeps are pretty effective with him. Not me though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finished Halo3, Bioshock very short, already finished HAlf Life 2 and not so many hours gameplay in the two follow on episodes, so maybe the thing with all these new, great games is that they are short lived enough that we can complete them in a human timespan, not requiring Santy like time bending powers to get 70 hours gamplay overwith with a 25 hour timespan.

Me, I have got back to FEAR on the 360 and barely scratched the surface of PGR4, I have a tin of untouched stuff on the PS2, new Zelda on DS and I'm, hopefully, buying a PS3 shortly, thank gods there's bugger all on that at the mo' ha ha ha!

Advertisement