Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone sticking by C ?

Options
  • 28-10-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I came across another great programming forum, mainly c and c++. Pretty impressed with it. More impressive is the following that vanilla C (well at least the C99 standard) still commands. I had stopping using C years ago. But I decided to pick it up again and went through revising the main sections again. I was deciding to go for C++ but went for C again in the end since it is still relevant today. I guess what I like about plain C is how small it's needs are and what it still can achieve.
    As regards frontend - I find SDL pretty impressive!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

hamster wrote: »
    I came across another great programming forum, mainly c and c++. Pretty impressed with it. More impressive is the following that vanilla C (well at least the C99 standard) still commands. I had stopping using C years ago. But I decided to pick it up again and went through revising the main sections again. I was deciding to go for C++ but went for C again in the end since it is still relevant today. I guess what I like about plain C is how small it's needs are and what it still can achieve.
    As regards frontend - I find SDL pretty impressive!

It all depends what problem you want to solve, doesn't it? At the end of the day, best leave implementation details to the code monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Cantab. wrote: »
    It all depends what problem you want to solve, doesn't it? At the end of the day, best leave implementation details to the code monkeys.

Ha ha! True, In my line of work it's 100% plsql and Oracle material - but it's nice to get a break from it. I guess it's a bit of a retro feel going to back to C. Even simple things such as examining the address that the os gives to a variable and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sremowt

Heh. It's interesting to say you take a break from programming by programming in C of all languages (not that the stereotype is true or anything but it has a stigma of being tough)! I understand though. That's a good forum. I've used it a lot but I mainly answer questions there or hover inconspicuously these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

er..............
    if you remove the association that has developed between programming and the internet,you would find that C (and C++) are still core languages.
    What I mean is, most "programmers" out there now are usually involved in either a web/java/database programming job and wouldnt know what a pointer was if it slapped them on the face,despite the fact that its at the core of how their chosen languages and development enviroments work,its just now hidden from them in the newer higher level languages.
    Most/majority devices are still programmed in C/C++: your phone (its actual OS!),tv, dvd player, NLT/Sky box, microwave, washing machine, and where the databases they use look nothing like anything Oracle has developed. Semaphore protected Double Linked List anyone??? a.k.a the database.

Don't take all that the wrong way now, i'm not giving out to or at anyone!! Different tools for different jobs!!! Creating an i.p socket in C would take hours, rather stream.socket etc... ;)
    ...retro...
    D'oh, sorry, the whole reason was because I laughed when you called it retro! :) It may be old, but it is still all relevant as ever! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

ianhobo wrote: »
    er..............

D'oh, sorry, the whole reason was because I laughed when you called it retro! :) It may be old, but it is still all relevant as ever! :)

Totally agree. That's why I recently decided to go over all that ptr detail again for funsake - corewars and mandelbrot comes to mind (thats where my retro thought comes in - heh heh). That with SDL. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement