Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible suggestion for easier reading

Options
  • 28-10-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this could added to charters or maybe mods could crack down on it.

I find it annoying if someone qoutes a big long post and the adds a one line sentance like "I agree" or something similar.
    It realy slows downs someone reading the thread and just annoys people.

Here is an example from foxy06:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54300645#post54300645
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yeah that's kinda annoying alright, I'd be in favour of editing those out if they're superfluous, but occasionally it stops someone from backtracking on something they post, encouraging the "think before you post" mentality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

micmclo wrote: »

I find it annoying if someone qoutes a big long post and the adds a one line sentance like "I agree" or something similar.

interesting. im having the same debate on the AH forum at the moment about people who quote and stick in 'QFT' or '+1'.

I woner why it would slow you down in reading the thread though. Surely if youve read the original quote you can just scroll through it, and lets face it, an 'i agree' doesnt exactly take much time to read.

At what level do you deem a reply to be
    a) acceptable
    and
    b) unacceptable?

personally when i write and something and someone quotes me and say they agree, i find it useful feedback that my opinion is not just off the wall.

do you have any suggestions as to how someone can add their own feedback or opinion without it annoying you?

CuLT wrote: »
    I'd be in favour of editing those out if they're superfluous,

again, what counts as superflous?

and probably more importantly, who is going to edit them out?

interesting. im having the same debate on the AH forum at the moment about people who quote and stick in 'QFT' or '+1'.

I woner why it would slow you down in reading the thread though. Surely if youve read the original quote you can just scroll through it, and lets face it, an 'i agree' doesnt exactly take much time to read.

a) acceptable
    and
    b) unacceptable?

personally when i write and something and someone quotes me and say they agree, i find it useful feedback that my opinion is not just off the wall.

do you have any suggestions as to how someone can add their own feedback or opinion without it annoying you?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Desirable to some maybe, but impossible to enforce with any degree of consistency.

I'm no fan of the habit of racking up massive postcounts by adding one line insignificant/unhelpful replies willy nilly throughout the site, but I have no right to stop people from posting whatever they wish, once it complies with the rules and culture of the forum, or the site generally.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Surely you can only decide that you don't like it after you read it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

QFT

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You didn't quote anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:o (another post yay!)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Not a bad idea at all. Would need to have some exceptions, sometimes a point needs such quotes to have it backed up properly

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think foxy06 wanted to make a point by quoting the whole massive post and adding "You really go out of your way to make a point!"

Sometimes long posts are quoted to stop the OP from edit the OP.

Not as annoying as AH threads where OP is a link to a news piece and the only input by poster is a :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

a) acceptable
    and
    b) unacceptable?

+1

+1

Myth wrote: »
    +1

I agree
    Desirable to some maybe, but impossible to enforce with any degree of consistency.

I'm no fan of the habit of racking up massive postcounts by adding one line insignificant/unhelpful replies willy nilly throughout the site, but I have no right to stop people from posting whatever they wish, once it complies with the rules and culture of the forum, or the site generally.

+1

I know what you mean but it is practically impossible to implement, as this post probably shows if multi-quotes take off we could have a bigger issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As someone who has to read a fair few of these sort of posts, I have mixed feelings. The post itself only takes approx. 2 seconds to read and may ensures that you have to load another page (Which is usually only a problem if Boards.ie is on a go-slow.)
    I only have a problem with people that spam it (Like "yore ma") where it's out of context, or dragging up older threads or bumping a lot of threads in one go, etc.
    "Crack down on it" - how? Especially, in AH: I don't really want to get in the way of a discussion -a moderator stepping in to give a warning or something, creates more of a disruption than the offence. I don't want to PM people unless they're really taking the piss - they'll develop a persecution complex. I don't want to edit other people's posts - it's their thought and their contribution - I usually only do it when there's something worth saving in a post but they've really overstepped the mark with something that'll get boards.ie in trouble. Deletion seems the only feasible option but seems a little disproportionate...
    The only way I could see it working is if it's completely discouraged (Well, some flexibility) - and force each poster to contribute something more substantial - to not only show agreement with the previous poster, but to use the quote to build on it; however, this does seem rather oppressive - especially in AH. I could see it working in Politics, etc. if it isn't already enforced. OP: What fora did you have in mind?
    biko wrote:
    Not as annoying as AH threads where OP is a link to a news piece and the only input by poster is a :eek:
    They're usually challenged on this in the thread, and the very odd thread is just thrown into the cool links sub-forum and in the rare case, sometimes a :eek: says it best - other posts will add the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What I've seen on some websites is when you quote a user it appears like this:
    <link>

And when you click on the link it expands to show the quote texted like this:

I don't know how practical that would be though or if vB could handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It’s a fair point Karoma.
    AH is the wrong place for something like this but as you say Politics could be ideal.

I’m not expecting mods to tidy up posts or take on extra work, ye have more than enough to deal with as it is.
    And do a good job at it too. :)

I’ll just say boards is far better for this than other forums like www.politics.ie
    Over there, the 2nd poster quotes the 1st, the 3rd quotes the 2nd and it goes on several times and is a total nightmare to read. :mad:
    With multi-quote it will probably go this way eventually.

Earthhorse, that’s an extremely good suggestion and it’s worth investigating.

As I’ve said, don’t go to the trouble of editing posts but it does annoy me and I’m only one of thousands so I’m not alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

CuLT wrote: »
    Yeah that's kinda annoying alright, I'd be in favour of editing those out if they're superfluous, but occasionally it stops someone from backtracking on something they post, encouraging the "think before you post" mentality ;)

a) acceptable
    and
    b) unacceptable?

Myth wrote: »
    +1

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Surely you can only decide that you don't like it after you read it? :confused:
    mike65 wrote: »
    QFT

Mike.
    +1
    mike65 wrote: »
    :o (another post yay!)

Mike.
    Not a bad idea at all. Would need to have some exceptions, sometimes a point needs such quotes to have it backed up properly
    biko wrote: »
    I think foxy06 wanted to make a point by quoting the whole massive post and adding "You really go out of your way to make a point!"

Sometimes long posts are quoted to stop the OP from edit the OP.

copacetic wrote: »
    +1

+1

I agree

+1

I know what you mean but it is practically impossible to implement, as this post probably shows if multi-quotes take off we could have a bigger issue!
    Karoma wrote: »
    As someone who has to read a fair few of these sort of posts, I have mixed feelings. The post itself only takes approx. 2 seconds to read and may ensures that you have to load another page (Which is usually only a problem if Boards.ie is on a go-slow.)
    I only have a problem with people that spam it (Like "yore ma") where it's out of context, or dragging up older threads or bumping a lot of threads in one go, etc.
    "Crack down on it" - how? Especially, in AH: I don't really want to get in the way of a discussion -a moderator stepping in to give a warning or something, creates more of a disruption than the offence. I don't want to PM people unless they're really taking the piss - they'll develop a persecution complex. I don't want to edit other people's posts - it's their thought and their contribution - I usually only do it when there's something worth saving in a post but they've really overstepped the mark with something that'll get boards.ie in trouble. Deletion seems the only feasible option but seems a little disproportionate...
    The only way I could see it working is if it's completely discouraged (Well, some flexibility) - and force each poster to contribute something more substantial - to not only show agreement with the previous poster, but to use the quote to build on it; however, this does seem rather oppressive - especially in AH. I could see it working in Politics, etc. if it isn't already enforced. OP: What fora did you have in mind?

They're usually challenged on this in the thread, and the very odd thread is just thrown into the cool links sub-forum and in the rare case, sometimes a :eek: says it best - other posts will add the discussion.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    What I've seen on some websites is when you quote a user it appears like this:

And when you click on the link it expands to show the quote texted like this:

I don't know how practical that would be though or if vB could handle it.
    It’s a fair point Karoma.
    AH is the wrong place for something like this but as you say Politics could be ideal.

I’m not expecting mods to tidy up posts or take on extra work, ye have more than enough to deal with as it is.
    And do a good job at it too. :)

I’ll just say boards is far better for this than other forums like www.politics.ie
    Over there, the 2nd poster quotes the 1st, the 3rd quotes the 2nd and it goes on several times and is a total nightmare to read. :mad:
    With multi-quote it will probably go this way eventually.

Earthhorse, that’s an extremely good suggestion and it’s worth investigating.

As I’ve said, don’t go to the trouble of editing posts but it does annoy me and I’m only one of thousands so I’m not alone
    Could you repeat that please?

Hagar wrote: »
    Could you repeat that please?

I may have to beat you for that, if i wasnt laughing.

wait til i get my breath back will you?

Advertisement