Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet Holmes

Options
  • 29-10-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭

I only heard of this tonight, went out and had a quick look with my binoculars and there it was, clearly visible even with the brightness of the moon. As you face the moon its to the left and slightly higher. No tail yet just a bright fuzzy blob. It should be easy to see as the moon moves away.

More info here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw it, very bright, Is that Venus or one of the giants (or maybe Sirius) below the moon to the left?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 satellite07

nilhg wrote: »
    I only heard of this tonight, went out and had a quick look with my binoculars and there it was, clearly visible even with the brightness of the moon. As you face the moon its to the left and slightly higher. No tail yet just a bright fuzzy blob. It should be easy to see as the moon moves away.

More info here

nice one, how do i find this in the sky, ill be out this evening hopefully clear skies...where would it be round 730pm this eve

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mitabrev

I took this picture on 30 OCT. I was following it over the last few days. Wonder how big it will get?? Never know, might turn into another Hale Bopp (optimistic I know, but what the hell!!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

mitabrev wrote: »
    I took this picture on 30 OCT. I was following it over the last few days. Wonder how big it will get?? Never know, might turn into another Hale Bopp (optimistic I know, but what the hell!!):D

cool
    what did you take this picture with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mitabrev

what_car wrote: »
    cool
    what did you take this picture with?

I took it with a Canon EOS 300D Digital Camera. I didn't even think it would capture it, I just opened the window and chanced it. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

hey saw this last night in phoenix park!! it flared uo one billion times in the last 2 weeks! pretty cool lookin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yep, there it is to the left of andromeda.... clouds have rolled in again, though, so no shots.
    Bro has a pair of 25x100 bino, said there was a sort of 3d ball shape to it.
    It's the biggest object in the solar system now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Can you see it without a telescope? If so were?(Lammen terms please):o

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

85E59AF6E3BC443DA064C99EEDA9C866-800.jpg

Managed to capture this on Sunday night, Nikon D200 + 50mm lens. PS'd a bit to reduce the humongous noise...

I wondered what is was until I came to look on this forum. Cheers lads.

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement