Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting back enery and losing weight

Options
  • 29-10-2007 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

my problem is since my 3 month girl was born i have been so tired. does anyone know of any foods that will naturally boost energy lvls and of any excerses that i can do while at home while my baby is asleep? i have tried going out for walks but i get so tired when i come home. i want to start small and work my way up. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If your problem is that you are tired, then sleep when you're baby is asleep. You wont be as tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If you introduce porridge , cereals , brown bread, pulses sunflower and pumkin seeds ,they are slow realse energy foods ,and also take a good multivitamin/ B complex supplement .Somtimes with babys it's finding the time to eat properly thats the problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

latchyco wrote: »
    If you introduce porridge , cereals , brown bread, pulses sunflower and pumkin seeds ,they are slow realse energy foods ,and also take a good multivitamin/ B complex supplement .Somtimes with babys it's finding the time to eat properly thats the problem .

And also the cause of hyperinsulism and most of the common health problems facing the West today.

For diet, have a look at www.thepaleodiet.com, essentially your diet should be based around met and veg, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.

For exercise, have a look at www.simplefit.org - exercise 3x a week for a bout 20 minutes with good results.

Hope this helps,
    Col

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fillie

my baby is 6mths old and i am always tired, i sleep when she does and i take iron supplements.

your not a machine, take lots of relaxing baths and take it easy

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And also the cause of hyperinsulism and most of the common health problems facing the West today.
    So if we lave out the B/ multivitamin , are you saying the rest are bad for you ? ........ nothing there i see that might add to obesity ?..... hmm intresting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

If you have a look at http://www.thepaleodiet.com/newsletter/back_issues.shtml

there's a couple of really informative issues on the subjects of grain and their contribution to hyperinsulism.

Also, if you do a search for "Kaplan" and the "Deadly Quartet" you'll find links to his article first published in 1989 in the Journal of Internal Medicine and not disproven since on how excessive sugar and grain intake leads to all these problems. The avoidance of most of these dietary related problems is to eat a paleolithic diet.

Hope this helps,
    Col

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im no dietician, but I eat lots of fruit and stir fry veg, and avoid sweets, chocolate, crisps and processed starches (noodles, white bread, pasta). I also take a vitamin supplement in case Im missing anything essential with being vegetarian. My energy levels are better than theyve ever been, and they need to be, two kids under 5! My rule of thumb with food is the closer it is to its natural state, (ie unprocessed) the better.

Sounds like you need more rest, tho, as well as boosting your diet. Three months in your probably still having lots of broken sleep, so put your feet up sometimes, as well as all that running around.:)

Drink lots of water too, I get tired when Im dehydrated.

There are so many exercises you can do, but youd be best to get yourself a dvd or better still have someone show you. You dont want to injure yourself by doing them wrong. Perhaps post a query in fitness too, lots of help to be had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I find vitamin C and bananas work for me. I also have young baby.. Forget about the housework and rest as much as poss..

Walking is defo the best, i know its hard when your exhausted but push yourself, releasing endorphins through exercise is actually the best boost you can get..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

latchyco wrote: »

Walking is defo the best, i know its hard when your exhausted but push yourself, releasing endorphins through exercise is actually the best boost you can get..

I fully agree with the above, exercise and fresh air will do wonders for you, only things I would suggest is to try juicing and some meditation to really relax and unwind. There are some good free guided mediation pod casts on Itunes that you can download and listen from your PC.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bethany

If your baby is sleeping at night you shouldn't be as tired as that. Are you sleeping well and still tired?I think that it would be worthwhile to see your doctor so that anaemia, depression (mild post natal depression is very common and often results in excessive tiredness ),and low thyroid function can be outruled.
    Then if you get a clean bill of health all the OP's advise re diet ,exercise and pacing yourself will be useful. Don't hesitate, this is too important a time in your life to waste it on feeling exhausted. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Bethany wrote: »
    Don't hesitate, this is too important a time in your life to waste it on feeling exhausted. Best of luck.

And thats a fact, we never get this time back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

kknapp21 wrote: »
    my problem is since my 3 month girl was born i have been so tired. does anyone know of any foods that will naturally boost energy lvls and of any excerses that i can do while at home while my baby is asleep? i have tried going out for walks but i get so tired when i come home. i want to start small and work my way up. thanks

Please take it easy! My daughter is 1 year old next week and, like I've done twice before, I've waited until now to start dieting and exercising. As it happens, i lost a good bit of weight throughout the year as baby has become more active and needs more supervision. And, when your baby starts walking you'll definitely get plenty of exercise.
    Enjoy your baby while she's not moving about - it won't last! And why put pressure on yourself to lose weight, don't try to imitate Posh Spice!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You're a mad yoke for that paleo Colm. :D
    and not disproven since

God exists. Not disproven since 50,000 B.C....I'm being a twat of course, but you get my point.....Plenty of people consider paleo / atkins OTT. I think there's room for a bowl of porridge or museli in a healthy diet for example. Seeds are verbotten in paleo too. Same for legumes (like cashews, beans, etc.). And the occasional choccy biccy should be allowed in real life too.

I just consider paleo a bit extreme, though I do basically subscribe to the crossfit notion of a healthy diet which you quoted, specifically:
    Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.

OP: Having said all of that....I think Paleo, or at least parts of it, are a good starting point. Lean meat, veg, fruit, nuts, seeds, eggs, slow release energy food (i.e. wholemeal / brown). Basically, stuff that doesn't come from a packet. You do that for 2 weeks, you're really gonna feel the benefits.

Edit: Oh...and get the meat from your butchers. Supermarket meat is horrible and overpriced by comparisson. Honestly, you wont go back. It can be a bit intimidating going into the butchers, but they're well used to dealing with people (like me) who don't have a clue. Just be honest with them, they'll be honest with you. They want repeat business. :)

Advertisement