Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expired guinness

Options
  • 29-10-2007 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering if its safe/ok to drink draught guinness cans 2 weeks after their best before date. I bought them from a friend and just checking b4hand whether theres any noticeable difference in taste/quality after that time, considering they were sitting in his wardrobe til now?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I doubt it, I've drank miller before that was past it's best before date. Harp too. The harp was mank (first and last time to taste it), miller was fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

The Cowboy wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Just wondering if its safe/ok to drink draught guinness cans 2 weeks after their best before date. I bought them from a friend and just checking b4hand whether theres any noticeable difference in taste/quality after that time, considering they were sitting in his wardrobe til now?

It is a best before date , Not a expiry date the choice in entirely up to you whether you want to drink it or not , god just open up a can and taste it and don't write a thread about it :) , Oh by the way let me know how it tasted please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I can admit to having a few cans of out of date Guinness (what an achievement:rolleyes:) and I survived fine. Didn't really notice a change in taste tbh. AFAIK the cans I consumed were 3 wks out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I doubt it, I've drank miller before that was past it's best before date. Harp too. The harp was mank (first and last time to taste it), miller was fine though.

Harp is always mank, I don't imagine the best before date had anything to do with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Harp is always mank, I don't imagine the best before date had anything to do with it.

Yeah that's why I said it was the first time I had it. I never knew what it tasted like but I always hoped for Harps sake it didn't normally taste that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi there,
    Couple of weeks should make no great odds, though if they were sitting in a wardrobe in a hot room all that time it may not have improved them much. Certainly a good idea to let them chill a bit before opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Couple of weeks should make no great odds, though if they were sitting in a wardrobe in a hot room all that time it may not have improved them much. Certainly a good idea to let them chill a bit before opening.

Don't know too many people that would actually keep their cans of Guinness in a wardrobe in a warm room! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Alcohol kills bacteria so it doesn't go off as quickly (or as poisonously) as food.

But this is all moot - don't drink guiness from a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thegreek15

Just opened a can with the date 9/9/09 and it tastes just as good as the previous one with the date of 9/3/10...
    In fridge since they were bought, possibly helped.
    Drank many a pint from kegs of smithwicks when the "Best Before" had passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hi there,

Definitely not safe !

I can pm you my address so you send me the cans for safe disposal :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    you send me the cans for safe disposal
    They're coming up for two and a half years out of date at this stage so you might find them a little musty.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Since the OP was last active in June 08, maybe drinking expired guinness is not such a good idea.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I've got a draught bottle of guinness that expired in 2001. Who wants to give it a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

thegreek15 wrote: »
    Just opened a can with the date 9/9/09 and it tastes just as good as the previous one with the date of 9/3/10...
    In fridge since they were bought, possibly helped.
    Drank many a pint from kegs of smithwicks when the "Best Before" had passed.

I might be posting 3 months after you, drinking a can 3 months older than yours was when you drank it, but you've just given me the confidence to drink a can I found in the fridge dated 9/6/09. Well done sir, I'll report back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Further to previous comment, the nigh-on-a-year past its best before date can of Guinness was not as bad as expected. I hadn't been drinking before I opened it, so I'd nothing to mask any bad taste that might have come with its age. It was a little thin at first, the creaminess wasn't all there, but overall not bad, I've had worse draught pints pulled (mostly at concert venues and overseas). 6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The poster that mentioned alcohol kills bacteria was kinda right but Guinness only has 4.2% which ain't that much. Spirits that are 40% will be grand once never opened but lower content alcohol such as beer I don't think will last as long. But drinking beer two weeks out should be ok. Best before dates, sell by dates, use by dates etc. are all open to interpretation and kinda knock into each other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Guinness only has 4.2% which ain't that much.
    It's more than twice the concentration that will kill any known pathogen. No matter how long you leave it, the most dangerous thing in any beer will always be the alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Hi there,

2 weeks is grand, they will taste exactly the same. Guinness cover themselves with best before dates so the product should usually be good for a few weeks after that date. You will still get that lovely smell in the toilet in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You can drink a can of beer whenever, regardless of the best before date - Alcohol will never have a "use by" date because it will never go off once it is not opened - If it is opened the alcohol will evapourate and the beer will become unsafe. I have had cans 4 or more years out of date and they taste the same! Never worry about best before dates on anything, especially alcohol, But do look for "use by" dates on other consumables.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I remember drinking a 6 pack of Heineken which was 2 years out of date :eek: , tasted like crap but was drinkable

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

yoyo wrote: »
    I remember drinking a 6 pack of Heineken which was 2 years out of date :eek: , tasted like crap but was drinkable

Nick

Dedicated drinker. I salute you sir. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

Tasted like crap, you say..

Obviously there is no differance between in date and out of date heineken

:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

pa990 wrote: »
    Tasted like crap, you say..

Obviously there is no differance between in date and out of date heineken

:)

That is true, tasted crapper than you would expect lol :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stephen 1984

Im just having a can that has two weeks left before use by, its ok but noticable, little bit of a tacky/watery taste. I wouldnt recommend drinking too many.

Im just having a can that has two weeks left before use by, its ok but noticable, little bit of a tacky/watery taste. I wouldnt recommend drinking too many.

He asked the question nearly 6 years ago. If he hasn't drank it by now, he sure as hell shouldn't start drinking it now. I'd hate to see the toilet bowl the morning after a session of 6 years old guinness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A few of us from Beoir drank a bottle of O'Hara's Celebration Stout (6%) that was nearly 4 years past it's "best before". Tasted fantastic.

408456_591086904241625_1795324126_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

irish_goat wrote: »
    A few of us from Beoir drank a bottle of O'Hara's Celebration Stout (6%) that was nearly 4 years past it's "best before". Tasted fantastic.
    A lot of brewers just put a BB date X number of months in the future, regardless of the beer. Stouts with a decent abv will always keep well. An NHC member won the Abbeyleix Beerfest with a very well aged stout that was described as "epic" by the judges!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tube wrote: »
    A lot of brewers just put a BB date X number of months in the future, regardless of the beer. Stouts with a decent abv will always keep well. An NHC member won the Abbeyleix Beerfest with a very well aged stout that was described as "epic" by the judges!
    When I worked for a company importing beers we used to negotiate with the eastern European producers to put a 6 month date on the bottles rather than 3. This had nothing to do with the beer in the bottle - it was to do with marketing models. Any pasteurised beer is good for 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Time to bury this zombie thread.
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement