Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink, you know, the singer... girls got skills? oO

Options
  • 29-10-2007 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Hope I have the right forum :o

And I guess it must be an old song, but I've just come across it...

<http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wXkIulIvjFI&watch_response

Let me just preface this comment by saying, I dont like pink. There, I said it, its true. I dont like pop music, I traditionally like bands like Tool, A Perfect Circle and System of a Down.

Like Christina Aguilera, Pink has great vocals, but I think she fell into the trap of "sex sells" as do so many female pop artists.

But this song, Wow. Just wow.

Yes, she is a multimillionaire, and yes it seems hypocritical to talk about poor people unless you are giving some of your millions away to them, but that isnt what this song is about. This song is about, Hey America, take a long hard look at your president. Look at his goals, those he set out for himself and his country. Those he promised and ultimately, those he acheived. Then (hopefully) realise there is a huge gap in between.

Now look at what you, the self-professed, greatest country in the world could do and ask yourself, where did it all go wrong?

I'm not asking that you put aside your capitalist economy, because really, we're all like that. Its human nature and its one of the things that has made your country so powerful.

What I am asking, is that you realise you have a responsibility to the world that you arent fullfilling. The responsibility is that you, and I hate to quote scripture here as I'm not even remotely religious but, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Damn, I went and got all self-righteous, sorry :o

For the record, I'm from Ireland...

Again, great song, hope its a sign that she has decided to put away the image of "Hey, look at me, I got bewbs!" and instead is realising that she really does have talent.

Went to put this on the youtube video included, but it has a limit of 500 characters and I really needed to vent/express my delight at a decent pop-tastic song ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It's good to see people singing about things that piss them off. But if you really are intersted in hearling more songs like this. There's so many unheard songs there for so long.

Black Steel in the hour of Chaos is one of the most powerful songs written, and also Welcome to the Terrordome, both by Public Enemy.

Chuck D. Public Enemy. Rakim. Nas to some extent. Tupac. Jurrassic 5. And that's just hip hop.
    The Specials, The Clash, The Smiths, Neil Young.

I'm sure there are many others, it's early and this is all i can think of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Awesome song this ,was not to familir with pink's stuff except star .....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Ivan wrote: »
    Again, great song, hope its a sign that she has decided to put away the image of "Hey, look at me, I got bewbs!"

She has boobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I was in Portugal in August and this video was on TV all the time - not sure what TV station though, maybe MTV USA ?
    Its on her current album which is an excellent album btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

lordgoat wrote: »
    It's good to see people singing about things that piss them off. But if you really are intersted in hearling more songs like this. There's so many unheard songs there for so long.

Black Steel in the hour of Chaos is one of the most powerful songs written, and also Welcome to the Terrordome, both by Public Enemy.

Chuck D. Public Enemy. Rakim. Nas to some extent. Tupac. Jurrassic 5. And that's just hip hop.
    The Specials, The Clash, The Smiths, Neil Young.

I'm sure there are many others, it's early and this is all i can think of!
    Its not so much about the message, but more about the messenger. I'm not used to this type of quality from pink and it caught me off guard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The song I'd take or leave - although it's far from bad.
    But my god can that girl sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Similar style/format of song to 2pac's 'Letter to the President'.

And as for you original point that although she is a millionaire and isnt giving much to chrity not being the point, I would suggest that it is EXACTLY the point. Dont preach what you cant teach. There is a huge difference between Pink singing a song like this (which she said she wouldnt release, but later did) that she cowrote and has very little experience of, and 2pac's 'Letter to the President'. Yes, the girl can sing. But thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Another cash in on the anti Bush fad....

em... yay?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I thought it was unpatriotic.

Pink has a great voice.

It's pretty pointless putting this song out this close to the end of Bush's tenure.
    It took more balls/had more impact in the media to knock Bush a few years ago,
    in the years following September 11th 2001.

4 Non Blondes had a song called 'Dear Mr President'.

Pink's debut single was written by Linda Perry, 4 Non Blondes front woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Cant stand her and I feel its pretty easy to be "militant" when you can hide behind your mansion walls as soon as the gigs over.
    As such I personally wouldnt put much stock in her politics.
    Just cant be objective about her to be honest as herself and that Avril Levign (spelling?) are just about the worst female artists Iv ever had the misfortune to hear contaminating the radio.
    Now if she had taken some direct action like the young one out of Hero's Id probably have been far more impressed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement