Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw Rebirth

Options
  • 29-10-2007 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw:_Rebirth

Ive just seen the rather good Saw 4 movie this past weekend, and did some digging as to find out whether or not there had ever been a Saw comic conversion made as I would have assumed this would have been the one thing that the makers of Saw would have liken to do. I was suprised to learn that while there has never been a conversion of the films made, there has been a prequel comic book, released sometime in 2004 by IDW shortly before the 2nd film was due to be released.

It doesnt suprise me that IDW did this as I personally have their Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead and Hills Have Eyes comics but what shocked me was that there had only ever been one issue, and that it had not been reproduced. A little more digging discovered me to find the full comic on youtube, with voice art, giving a slightly different backstory to whats presented in Saw 4 and if you have the chance I would advise you look it up and take a peek. Certainly not a horror comic, it tells the 4th Saw movies tale in an alternate way, and perhaps this is the sole reason why it is so hard to obtain and will also prob never be republished.

Anyone else ever read it?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had heard about it, but I haven't read it. It's the Jigsaw origin story, right? I seem to recall it came out around about the time the Silent Hill comics started to prove reasonably lucrative, and IDW have quite a few adaptations of film & game franchises on their books.

As for the republishing; it's quite possible that at the time it was released, the owners of the franchise weren't sure if it would be viable as a franchise and wanted to maximise the financial return. Now that they've got 4 financially succesful films out of it (and as far as I know, the backing and go-ahead for at least another 2) they probably aren't keen on republishing less profitable older material if it conflicts with the newer releases.

Advertisement