Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locals only planning permission laws

Options
  • 29-10-2007 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭

First time posting about house/land issues, so please forgive my ignorance. I recently saw a site for sale near my home, about 3 miles away. When i enquired about it, the agent asked where i was from, and mentioned that i may have problems getting planning permission, as im from the next town over, rather then that village!
    Now i did some googling and saw the eu was attempting to get the government to explain this, as it violated 2 ec directives, one about the free movement of capital, and i cant recall the other one.
    Does anyone know what happened with this, or what the rules are in county clare regarding sites bought by people not born within 2 and a half feet of the site?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I dont know much about this but I do know that they also have this law in Wicklow. I heard that it is illegal under EU law. Seems to me like a classic case o f local politicians looking after their own...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Before you bash the plan look at it from the other side.

What about a local who wants to build in their own village but keeps getting outbid by richer people looking for holiday homes ,not for homes
    Major issue in Lahinch in Co. Clare.
    Edit: This is why you have to establish a "need" in planning permission on the site

Do you realy want people from large cities building massive holiday homes around the area?
    This is also a major issue in Donegal. Houses everywhere that are rarely used. That only detracts from the area and it’s not as if the owners ever interact with the locals.

Or commuters living in rural areas? The councils are usually against this as the local roads have to be upgraded plus it increases car dependency which nobody wants.
    The whole idea is to concentrate people in estates where it is easier to deliver services like ESB and water.

This is Ireland OP and there are ways and means around these things.
    The landowner can put it in their childs name and they somehow transfer it ownership to you.
    Not sure how it works exactly but it’s done often.
    Note: I’m not giving illegal advice, already got one infraction for that.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

phill106 wrote: »
    When i enquired about it, the agent asked where i was from, and mentioned that i may have problems getting planning permission, as im from the next town over, rather then that village!
    Hope you thanked the agent, cos if you had bought the site, you may find it was useless to you. The "law" is there to stop the once-off houses that are being built everywhere, that then needs electricity, water, sewage, access, etc, even though it may be in the middle of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alinoee

call planning dept in your local authority ( make sure at least 5 times and ask different people!) and don't depend only on agent opinion. there are different approaches as how you have to live and for how long. planning dept should be able to guide you. the reason for this is to ensure that the people from say dublin don't buy cute cottages in wilclkow kerry etc for weekend or summer use
    and leave a half of ghost town for the rest of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alinoee

on the other side if eu will enforce the gov to change polices the site price might rocket. but it takes time : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do be so quick to interprete an EU query as an EU objection.

See http://www.pleanala.ie/publications/2005/discriminatory_conditions_reform.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it'd be great i fit worked both ways. keep the boggers out of Dublin.

on serious note. why can't we lie down there if they live up here??

Advertisement