Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help configuring a cisco switch please

Options
  • 29-10-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

So after purchasing an old cisco switch and running the setup utility through a console cable I'm wondering how I go about configuring my vlans

I have my broadband connection plugged in to port 2 and my computer plugged in to port 1 on the switch. The switch is allowing me to use the internet for now, but ideally I'd like to seperate off the ports into vlans and keep the home pc running with net access.

1) I set up a vlan in the config utility but i'm wondering how do I go about assigning ports to vlans ?

What I'd like to is split the switch into 3 vlans. have a default gateway on each vlan that leads to the modem on port24. This will allow me to keep my main computer on the Internet for my flatmate , and use the other 2 vlans for 2 other computers here so I can work on more networky stuff

I want to learn the commands as I go and understand what I'm setting up, so really I'm looking for a few pointers in the right direction (eg create 3vlans , assign ports to vlans, assign vlans their IP info etc)

Any directions greatly appreciated

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

You'll need to give me the type of switch. The older Cisco switches use different commands for vlan port assignment.

Also, what type of router have you got on the end? This might not work in the way you hope if your router won't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Cisco Catalyst 2950 software version 12

clearwire broadband connection , it doesnt have to work all the time. I just want to be able to learn a bit of cisco but always have the internet available for the others here . As in when I'm done resassiging ip all over the shop , just to be able to plug the nic back in a port thats bridged to the clearwire modem (I hope I'm making sense)

nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Your router needds to be able to support VLANS for this scenario to work fully. If it's just a modem, it doesn't.

You can have you internet on one VLAN though, add ports like this:

From privileged exec mode:

Switch# config t
    Switch(config)# int fa0/2
    moves to interface mode (for port 2)

Switch(config-if)# switchport mode access
    Switch(config-if)# switchport access vlan 2

assigns the port to vlan 2

You can also configure a range of ports at once by using:
    Switch(config)# int range fa 0/1 - 4

The easiest way to set this up is to buy a router and install the open source DD-WRT firmware (full VLAN support). The DD-WRT website will give you a list of hardware it will run on. You'll only need to spend €60-€80.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

very sound , nice one.

I'll see how this goes with trial and error, split the ports over vlans and try kep the internet connection.

Thanks for the info

Advertisement