Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son not settling in Montessori

Options
  • 29-10-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

My son is 4 since December and started in Montessori in September. Initially he would cry going in and chase after me when I left. He would lash out at the teacher when she tried to hold him and knock over chairs. I started a reward system for not lashing out which worked for about 3 weeks and then it started again. He then got a chest infection and when he goes back he'll have been off for nearly 3 weeks because of the mid -term. He keeps saying he doesn't want to go back and that he doesn't like montessori. The teacher says that he settles quickly and loves the learning and structure of montessori but when he gets upset he gets agressive. The thought of facing into this again next week is wearing me out.
    Does anyone have any ideas about how to get him into school without all the drama and how to stop the lashing out?
    Please :confused:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Could you invite some of his friends from montessori to your house for play dates? If he develops friendships he will be more likely to enjoy his time at montessori.

Try to leave quickly when you drop him off so that a full scale tantrum does not have time to develop. If the teacher says that he settles quickly after you leave, this is most probably true. If you stay to try to calm him down it could prolong his anguish at being separated from you.

Perhaps somebody else could drop him to Montessori. If the routine was different perhaps he might settle easier.

Try not to give him too many treats for going to Montessori, as this will re-enforce the idea that montessori is a bad thing, and that he needs a reward to go.

Try to find out what he likes doing at Montessori. It would be preferable to find this out from him and then ask "did you do that fun thing again today" etc. If he does not put anything on the table for you, ask his teacher what he likes to do at Montessori and then ask him about it so that he is talking about good things that he does there. He might have just got into a pattern/habit of saying negative things because this gets a reaction.

Good luck. I would advise you to keep sending him. I'm very sure that it will get easier.

Advertisement