Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescriptive goggles for surfing

Options
  • 29-10-2007 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

I am a product design student doing a project on security devices, need your help people.

Does anyone here need glasses for surfing? If so have they found anything that works or like me do they go out wearing contact lenses hoping they'll stay on for the duration.

If you would benefit from having prescription goggles for surfing wat features would you look for or require, for example; anti fog, sealed, look like sunglasses.

Anything you could contribute would help,

Cheers and happy surfing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gibrean

Hey -would love if there was something on the market that I could use for surfing. I used to wear contacts but they just weren't worth the hassle, thankfully my eye site isn't that bad so I can get by without them..just about.

Ideally the product should be just a pair of wrap around sunglasses that repel water....really well...and i've never seen any material that would be good enough to allow that so Im very interested to see what you come up with.

Keep us up to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Oakley do a pair of surfing sunglasses alright that use drops to repel the water. A friend of mine uses them to stop his eyes getting sunburnt (he looks like something from a cheech and chong movie after a sunny sesh!). He's taken a few heavy enough beatings with them on and they've never come loose. You should be able to pick a pair up on ebay for around 150.
    You can get prescription lenses made up for them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

I am a product design student doing a project on security devices, need your help people.

Does anyone here need glasses for surfing? If so have they found anything that works or like me do they go out wearing contact lenses hoping they'll stay on for the duration.

If you would benefit from having prescription goggles for surfing wat features would you look for or require, for example; anti fog, sealed, look like sunglasses.

Anything you could contribute would help,

Cheers and happy surfing

Sometimes i could do with something to block the sun when it's setting on the water just to see what's coming ( i don't know .
    Here are some of the design requirements as i would see them:

Antifog - Essential.

Water repellent - needs hydrophobic coating on the outside.

Sealed - I think sealed goggles as such would be problematic.
    The reason for this is simple, board hits you in the face in a wipeout (it happens!) putting a hell of a lot of pressure on the goggles and thus on the inside of your eye sockets putting a hell of a lot of pressure on the eyeball and potentially damaging it. Now for this i'm envisaging the standard swimming type ones so maybe a larger sealing surface would solve that problem. Would someone wear something that big and dorky, i don't know but wouldn't think so.

Look Like sunglasses - Sure, that looks good. You'd need to make them very strong, if not they will be yanked off by the first wave. A good way of attaching them to the surfer is essential or they will be lost. Something like the glasses edgar davids wears on account of his glucome might be good. Polarized for the water too. Careful use of metals, will be soaked in saltwater for most of their life.

Aesthethics - Lot of surfers are very image minded and wouldn't wear something that doesn't look good.

Cost - Since there is already a solution (disposable lenses) the product would need to be competitively priced as it's not a must as a wetsuit for example is in ireland.

All the surfers i know that need corrective eye wear in the water just wear those disoposable lenses and if they lose one or two no big deal.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck with your project.

Advertisement