Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember the old UL

Options
  • 29-10-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Something for those people whose ID numbers are less than 00

- The Schumann was the computer science building
    - The nice shining sitting area in the Schumann where they know have a lab
    - The room beside beside the paddocks was a games room (and the Frames played there for 50p one night!)
    - £3 night club ticket and bus into town.
    - Pints of Bulmers were 1.80
    - Only 1 pub on campus
    - The little nooks you could hide in the Stables
    - Friday lunch time was always curry
    - The SU shop was in glass alley at the Main block side of the Stables..
    - The SU was in the Stable courtyard where the PostGrad place is now
    - 1 pound nights in the Globe
    - Drink promotions and free drinks at sporting events
    - Everyone having floppy or zip disks
    - The old library
    - The old gates at the front of the university (linky)
    - The big lawn in front of the main building where the library is now ()
    - Cup of coffee costing 15p
    - Rag week
    - Ms Stokes attempting to close the place down
    - Tall Paul playing in the plaza
    - The snug beside the fire in the stables
    - The Stables actually having stable parts to the counter.
    - The massive meeting of people in the monet trying to get lighting on plassey road and cicle path (i went into the stables with a megaphone :) )
    - The Scholars and the chillout sessions
    - The whole An Phluais thing and everyone calling it the Scholars Function room
    - People camping to get Rag Week tickets
    - I Soc
    - Assasin!!!
    - Kilmurry was the new village

Some more when i think of em

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

sceptre 93xxxxxx lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I had a 97 id number, and there was guy in my class with an 88.. but if i was to go back i would get my 97 id back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Those gates look cool...bring um back!!!

LOL at SCEPTRE though, he told me a few weeks ago he aims to be gone out of UL before a student enrolls with a 93 DOB:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

ninty9er wrote: »
    Those gates look cool...bring um back!!!

LOL at SCEPTRE though, he told me a few weeks ago he aims to be gone out of UL before a student enrolls with a 93 DOB:D:D
    He only has 3-4 years left so! He better get a move on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

<cough>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sceptre wrote: »
    <cough>

Have you got that cold again??:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I ('00 id) was gonna say, no-one's that old, but Ginger and sceptre have proven me wrong :D

Funneh... i have long since left (graduated in 2001!)... I am not old.. i am just well aged like a wine

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Agreed on the gates being cool. Bring em back

They are the same as the east gates.. they were removed when the poles were erected.

I miss the lawn where the library is now, twas great in the summer to sit out there "studying".

Anyone remember the old entrance to the bank and the usit office beside it.

Ooooh and the old couches in the canteen... i miss them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ginger/Scepter, maybe ye can verify this.

Supposedly when the library was in the main building and study space was at a premium, people used to clamour for those orange felt sitting boxes scattered around the E block?
    They would turn them on their sides and use them as an improvised study table?!

Heard this from a UL Alum, sounds hilarious to think of it now!

Yup used to happen and not just in E block but all over the place.. remember studying in the D corridor outside the monet, and in the C corridor near the canteen...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That still happens all the time with those boxes - I refer to them as "study forts". It's pretty much impossible to get a place in the library at exam time unless you're there at about half 8 or whenever it opens, or it's the repeat exams :)

Where was the old library exactly? I know it was in the A block, but which part? All of it?
    - Ms Stokes attempting to close the place down
    Yeah it looks like she actually gave up. Still in College Court AFAIK. She called the guards one night because we were talking outside the front door to some friends' house - even the guards found it funny.

I started in '03 and I'm doing a link-in for 4th year - and I thought I felt old! When I started everyone still used floppies and zip disks (what a load of shyte!), the student special in the Restaurant was €2.95 (it's nearly a fiver now!), most the PCs were PIIs and I didn't know a single student with a car!
    - Assasin!!!
    GSoc did this last year

As far as I remember it was where they put those new offices in the A1 or A2 corridor. Never really used it much!

I thought she had moved out to Castleconnell no?

Another one thing that was there, was Wednesday afternoons after 1 being free for clubs & socs stuff

And having only 3 sabbats .. Pres, Welfare, Education (did An Focal as well)

Ginger wrote: »
    I thought she had moved out to Castleconnell no?

She was still there last year AFAIK. I dunno, maybe someone equally angry has replaced her...

I thought she was going for local politician job or something, but then again, i am not based in limerick any more and havent been for quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They are the same as the east gates.. they were removed when the poles were erected.

I miss the lawn where the library is now, twas great in the summer to sit out there "studying".

Anyone remember the old entrance to the bank and the usit office beside it.

Ooooh and the old couches in the canteen... i miss them

The catwalk! People used to go the long way around when going through from C to A block to avoid being watched by all the people sitting on the comfy chairs.

How about using SUMS before e-mail was provided? I'm a 96***** myself.

I think the deal with the flag poles at the time was whoever was donating the funding for the poles said it would only be given on condition that the gates were removed..... why was it considered to be an improvement?

anyone remember the old sports building before they put those wooden tiles on the front of it?

Or that there was a road coming right up to the front of D-Block/Main Reception until they paved the whole area?

Here are some of the older photos that i can find

http://www.csis.ul.ie/PhotoAlbum/ULgrounds/

• Advertisement

Do you mean ulenter5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ginger - cheers for the photos, love seeing what the place used to be like. There's quite an old aerial photo I noticed just the other day hanging up above the service counter in O'Mahony's (the one down by the stationary). Saw gravel car parks and all sorts of by-gone mayhem in it!

Funkstard wrote: »
    Ginger - cheers for the photos, love seeing what the place used to be like. There's quite an old aerial photo I noticed just the other day hanging up above the service counter in O'Mahony's (the one down by the stationary). Saw gravel car parks and all sorts of by-gone mayhem in it!

ya, great to see them, i remember there used to be a car park beside old bank of ireland, where scholar's courtyard is now, and across the road where the pay car park is there used to be what could only be described as a shed, where we used to have horticulture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I'm a 04***** student meself, but I recall the old Stables/student centre as my dad works in the place and we used to be out there the whole time.

Also, we used refer to it as the 'Tollege' as when I was a kid he was working in the then Thomond College of Education...much too much of a mouthful for a 4 year old!

Used to go swimming in the pool in the PESS every Friday night religiously...

Then there was the annual staff family Christmas party in the Stables; so yes, I recall all the niches and when it used stretch further back to where Ulster Bank is now (I think?).... I won a Smurfs Christmas cassette for knowing all the moves to Whigfield's Saturday Night one year. And then there was the time that 'Michael Jackson' was there...except I believed it really was him. *sigh* Those parties were fun.

Here are some of the older photos that i can find

http://www.csis.ul.ie/PhotoAlbum/ULgrounds/

Wow, everything's changed except for the bookshop! Looks exactly the same inside lol. I'm sure most the old buildings haven't changed much either outside the renovated areas and extensions, e.g. the carpet squares on the walls in the main building, wooden chairs in the Johnny Monnet, the sign in by the Fishtank saying "no smoking in carpeted areas please" (in a corridor with lino floor), etc.
    Saw gravel car parks and all sorts of by-gone mayhem in it!
    There's still at least 2 gravel car parks (by the east gate and across from IBC), and the one behind the Schuman which is entirely made of pot-holes.

Remember the wall opposite the stables on the road... where the path is..

Somethings have changed alright.. just showing the older views of the place

Or to register for modules for the following term everyone had to use the four terminals near student services by the doors to the Jean Monnet.

I remember in my third year (98/99) i think, that they mucked up the whole timetable for the college, apparently it takes 9 months to produce a timetable for a semester and whoever normally did it had gone on maternity leave and nobody remembered to do it so it was thrown together at the last minute, result being people were assigned to lectures in rooms that didn't exist, or were directed to tutorials in broom cupboards.

I remember those.. the old terminals and then going over to see what degree you got by SS etc... It was 2000 i think when they brought in the online registration..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Where was the old library exactly? I know it was in the A block, but which part? All of it?
    Main library all of A2, journals all of A3.

Oddly enough there were more study spaces in the old library than the new one, when they built it I went around and counted them. And with the closing of the study rooms in A1, there were definitely far more study spaces in the college in pre-Glucksman library days. Go figure.

Of course the Hunt museum used to be up on floor A3 before it got moved to what is now the PAC next to FB028 (before it moved into town)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

so yes, I recall all the niches and when it used stretch further back to where Ulster Bank is now (I think?)...

Woah, this I didn't know...sounds cool.

Still not as cool as the Scholars mind :p

Advertisement